RIP Stanley Robinson | Page 10 | The Boneyard

RIP Stanley Robinson

Reaction Score
That's the car we crashed on 81. Had I believe 21 or 22" rims in the back seat. We left Birmingham late ar night and Rosa told us whatever you do don't stop in Culver county Alabama cause they won't be kind to seeing a black and white person together. Ended up having an accident on 81 in Virginia because sticks fell asleep at the wheel probably about 8-9am. We were extremely lucky front of car veered under back bumper of trailer. First person sticks called was Calhoun and I talked to him. When we got up to UConn he had car repaired and repainted with the rims put on and flags

That was sticks. Took things in stride and made the best of bad situations

Reaction Score
I wish there was a better way to let these guys know people actually care about them after their done, and that they do matter and will continue to matter. Could the school and community do a better job making sure players stay connected to the community? Probably. Hate to see this. So senseless, if true.

Reaction Score
For those of us old enough to have played “Pick-up Sticks” back in the day - the name of this game takes on a whole different meaning today. Gone, but will never be forgotten.

Reaction Score
Just gut-wrenching news. All the best to his family.

I was at school when Sticks was, and whenever you saw him around, he was smiling, enjoying life.

No one brought energy to Gampel or XL like Sticks could. Gone far too soon.

I'm hoping the school sets up something to help his family. Tough day.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We've seen hundreds of kids come through the program over the years, but there was something different and genuine about Stanley that I think led many fans to having a soft spot for the guy. His comeback after getting dismissed from the team, working in Willimantic, and then on to the Final 4 was a hell of a story and something he and his family can always be proud of.

Sticks left an indelible mark on the program and I was glad to be up in Storrs in see him play in person during his tenure here.

I also will never forget him yelling in the pregame intro video for I think the 2010 season "SIXTEEN BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!"

RIP Sticks.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned the players possibly wearing a patch so I put one together for idea's sake.
SR-patch.png

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
It’s really weird, whenever I saw old highlights of Sticks online I would think “I hope he’s doing ok”. Or when I would see he was back playing in the Calhoun charity game it always made me happy to see he was still around. I don’t really have the same reaction to most of the other guys - fond memories sure, but I didn’t find myself wondering how they were doing.

It’s really hard to put my finger on it but there was just something about him. He felt like “my guy” that I was always pulling for. I just wanted him to turn that next corner. It seems a lot of us felt this way about Sticks.

Reading this thread, the articles that are coming out, old stories - we really lost a good soul. This is tough.

Reaction Score
Such sad news. I saw it in my fb feed this morning, didn't want to deal with it. RIP #21.

Reaction Score
I will remember the half-court alley-oop vs Texas for the rest of my life. Rest easy, Sticks.
Gampel was as loud as I had ever heard it. I left feeling this was the team for #3.

Reaction Score
I just watched the tribute video on Yahoo. Sticks must've had the most dunks of any Husky and he did it in only three years. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder if things would have been different for him as a pro had he stayed his senior year. His game was definitely NBA friendly. I got a chuckle out of one dunk when he did his normal yell....and the score showed us down by 18 points or something.... He was one of my favorites. Probably the most athletic Husky of the Calhoun Era.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
My apologies BY family for checking in but I intentionally did not reread the early morning notification on Sticks and pretended as though by not confirming ...... This hurt big-time. This was the guy I really enjoyed as a fan and embraced because of his story and his persistence. RIP Sticks, blessings Robinson family.

Edit: checking in so late

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom