Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From the ESPN article,

Musial never struck out 50 times in a season.

Asked to describe the habits that kept him in baseball for so long, Musial once said: "Get eight hours of sleep regularly. Keep your weight down, run a mile a day. If you must smoke, try light cigars. They cut down on inhaling."
One last thing, he said: "Make it a point to bat .300.
As for how he did that, Musial offered a secret.
"I consciously memorized the speed at which every pitcher in the league threw his fastball, curve, and slider," he said. "Then, I'd pick up the speed of the ball in the first 30 feet of its flight and knew how it would move once it has crossed the plate."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8860690/st-louis-cardinals-hall-famer-stan-musial-dies-age-92

So simple. It's like asking Warren Buffett on how to become rich. First, you take your money and invest it wisely. Do it while you're young and then watch it compound and grow.

Every player tries to do what Musial did. Only a few are in his category as a hitter- Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Aaron and now maybe Pujols.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Man definitely put up some numbers. Too bad he didn't have a better supporting cast in the 50s to have won a couple more pennants. Seemed he was everything you could possibly want out of a ballplayer.

I never got to see him play. But back in 2008 on a campaign swing thru Pittsburgh on Obama's behalf, Dick Durbin stopped by our shop. It was supposed to be to talk about healthcare in small business and it started that was, but somehow within 15 minutes or so, we got to talking about roots and simpler times and the conversation turned to baseball and Stan Musial, Durbin's childhood idol. So Musial had the power to make even politicians seem human.

I posted this thought on a local newspaper blog, but imagine if Stan had done all the same things in a career spanning 1986-2007. Would he have been a first-ballot HoFer in this year's election? Or would he have been passed over due to suspicion of steroids along with everyone else?

Simpler times indeed.

Reaction Score
I saw him play. Like a lot of the players of his time, his fundamentals were flawless. One of the best hitters of his time but was overshadowed by Ted Williams who overshadowed everyone. Stan was one of the most repected players ever.

Reaction Score
I'd say if your nickname is "the man". Well you must have been really something. Was really impressed by all of the work by the MLB media recognizing him. What a legacy for St. loogie they deserve to be proud.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He was one of my dad's favorite players. If there's a heaven, quite possibly my dad got to meet his idol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom