RIP Lou Gossett | The Boneyard

RIP Lou Gossett

Reaction Score
RIP, he was always a cool guy and a great actor. Meanwhile, is Ernie Hudson a vampire? Dude is 78 years old.

MV5BNjc1NDZjNTktOTRlOC00YmFmLWJkNTMtNzMzZWI1NGMyMWNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc5OTcwMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR...jpg

Reaction Score
RIP Louis,

I used to see Lou & his fellow escapie from Brooklyn's poverty, Richie Havens slowly walking through hot summer Greenwhich Viilage nights carrying guitar cases around to gigs & jams in the early '60's. When the Village was THE PLACE to be in this country & everything was changing everyday. Everyone was there. "And revolution was in the air."

Louis & Richie used to visit city elementary schools & play their very original songs & unusual style of playing original music for the kids. I first saw them in a classroom up at PS 7 on the uppper West Side, smiling & playing. Great vibes.

Gossett & Havens were complete artists by temperment, dressed & spoke the part of the times, & were very approachable & cool. Kindness.

Louis Gossett also wrote beautiful poetry that Richie recorded on his first album that turned into several songs like "Follow." He also wrote the famous protest song, "Handsome Johnny" which started Woodstock off on the right foot on that Friday night in August of '69.

Those guys were NYC folk-heroes in those days, even as they were victims of those times' overt discrimination & lesser opportunities. Lou fought for every part he earned, Richie for every concert slot. Lou managed to keep moving forward in acting, winning an Emmy for Roots, & an Oscar for "An Officer & A Gentleman. "I see what you're lookin' for Mayo!"

I offer this trivia as a slice of the man's life, that I saw from the outside as a teenager, memories now over 60 years old!

Thanks Lou! You really made a difference.

RIP Lou & Richie!

Father Demo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom