RIP Jim Brown | The Boneyard

RIP Jim Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First in with something, something, lacrosse, blah, blah, blah.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
So famous he had an undershirt named after him

Reactions: THC

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He went to Cuse, tho.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Jim Brown on returning to football at 48. Always plain spoken and direct to the point. RIP to a legend, one of the very few HoF players from another generation who could succeed in pro sports today.

Reaction Score
Great player but a long way from being a great person.
Football great, film, civil rights but his violent episodes with women are numerous, just read wiki. Too much to be a coincidence. So yes that part does tarnish his legacy.

Reaction Score
He went to Cuse, tho.
Obviously, a brilliant move on his part. The start of a diverse and gifted life. He was incredible. When I went SU in the mid to late 70's they used to show his old game films. He was an absolute terror for a defender.

Reaction Score
He came on the scene for me as sports mad preteen .
He had the size of a linebacker of the day with the acceleration of smaller man a lethal combination.
There were big runners before him and fast runners but the combination of both was rare .
I played daily against our first team All State fullback who was 180 lbs l I outweighed him by 30 lbs . Yet getting hit by a strong guy who is approaching you at full speed is jarring . Guys that had to tackle him who pretty much weighted the same needed recovery time .

Reaction Score
Great player but a long way from being a great person.

When you judge others my friend, especially upon that person's death, you judge yourself. You wouldn't have dared to judge Jim Brown to his face.

We all make mistakes in our life. Jim Brown was very open about the mistakes he made and sincerely expressed his regrets. I admire what Jim Brown did in his life and how he tried to make the world a better place through his civil rights work and helping those in need. He was a commissioned Captain in the Army Reserves, yet stood in opposition to the Vietnam War and at the time and I disagreed with that position. But he was right and I was wrong. He spoke his mind and lived his life on his own terms.

As to football and LaCrosse, he was peerless.

Reaction Score
When you judge others my friend, especially upon that person's death, you judge yourself. You wouldn't have dared to judge Jim Brown to his face.

We all make mistakes in our life. Jim Brown was very open about the mistakes he made and sincerely expressed his regrets. I admire what Jim Brown did in his life and how he tried to make the world a better place through his civil rights work and helping those in need. He was a commissioned Captain in the Army Reserves, yet stood in opposition to the Vietnam War and at the time and I disagreed with that position. But he was right and I was wrong. He spoke his mind and lived his life on his own terms.

As to football and LaCrosse, he was peerless.
This is not about judgement, it’s just acknowledging what he did that was very bad. He was arrested 6 times for striking women, and he admitted to “anger problems”, so while I agree with what you wrote about him, that part is not insignificant. And violence against women was less condemned and publicized back then.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Brown also basketball? Team Capt? Syracuse really did have it going in those years with Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, (Jim Nance?), Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, and probably others that slip my mind this morning. Jim Brown vs Sam Huff was something I looked forward to bigtime. Never purposely went out of bounds. Got up slow after every play as mentioned before, so opponents wouldn't know when he actually was dinged. 1960's players weren't the type of trained athletes we have today, but there were some real tough hombres, Jim Brown, Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, ...I remember Cardinal safety Larry Wilson playing with 2 broken arms. The 1960's are now really passing into history, just like the old Hollywood stars.

Reaction Score
This is not about judgement, it’s just acknowledging what he did that was very bad. He was arrested 6 times for striking women, and he admitted to “anger problems”, so while I agree with what you wrote about him, that part is not insignificant. And violence against women was less condemned and publicized back then.

Jim Brown was a very violent man on the football field. Not a surprise. He definitely could get rough with both men and probably women who crossed him off the field. Love him or hate him that's who he was 50-60 years ago. As to anger, it is a human emotion which is not a criminal offense as far as I know.

To be clear, he was never convicted of anything other than assault on a golfer for which he served 1 day in jail. The rape incident was thrown out because the prosecutor asked the judge to throw out the charges due to inconsistencies in her statements and testimonies. But that is what has stuck with him even to this moment. No one is saying he was without mistakes. We all make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom