Rick Reilly on the myth that is Notre Dame football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rick Reilly on the myth that is Notre Dame football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can't really understand the Notre Dame "mystique" or whatever you want to call it without viewing it through the lens of history. It really originated during an era when Catholics, particularly Irish but also later others like Italians, Poles faced discrimination. After all, even the nickname "Fighting Irish" was coined by a New York sportswriter who meant it as an insult, not a compliment. Notre Dame adopted it as a badge of honor (an frankly a marketing tool) after whipping highly favored Army. An in an era when college wasn't universal, especially for Catholics, and those who did attend were often barred from the more elite schools like the Ivies, Chicago (which actually outright barred Catholics at one time) Notre Dame was their "adopted" alma mater, partly because it was Catholic,but also because it could take on the national programs and beat them at their own game. Add in the fact that the American Catholic Church was often run by what some historians refer to as the FBI (foreign born Irish) who made up a huge percentage of the parish priests, and a significant piece of the episcopal leadership too, and there was a natural affinity. And, Notre Dame actually got th econcept of building a national fanbase. they had as a head coach in Rockne a guy who was not only a great football coach but a master shownman as well. He refused ot play other Catholic schools because he didn't want to split the fans. As he put it "If we play St Mary's we lose some fans, but if we play Southern Methodist, we really have something. Beyond that, despite their great success Notre Dame couldn't schedule everyone it wanted. there is a reason that Notre Dame's oldest and longest rivalry is Michigan State, not Michigan, for example. and and none against Harvard and why they have only 1 game against Yale where according to legend they were not allowed to use a locker room but had to dress in a rest room at the stadium.

Notre Dame's "fall from grace" so to speak has been the result of a number of factors. Mediocre to bad coaching hires haven't helped. But today the Kellys and O'Briens and Morrones and Michowskis are just as likely to go to Harvard, or Williams or Chicago as Notre Dame. and Catholic identity isn't as big a deal as it was even through the 1960s nor is there the same anti-Catholic bigotry that existed inot the 1960s (and if you doubt that read some of the comments by Norman Vincent Peale on John Kennedy's candidacy). So there is far less identification with a Catholic school in Indiana.

Reaction Score
The only important lens is the camera lens.

If you draw eyeballs and make money, you get on TV. If not you don't. When ND ceases to make money for NBC, the lens of history will mean squat.

As to Jack Donaghy, I think Kevin negotiated the ND contract.

Reaction Score
Clearly they still make money for NBC or as you say, they wouldn't be there...and for CBS and ABC when they are on the road. Depending on whom they play, their games are virtually always on the main carrier, whether NBC at home or ABC or CBS for road games. And why every bowl wants them. The reason Notre Dame and not Southern Methodist or Texas Christian, or Michigan remains the last major independent is because of the unique history of Notre Dame and how it intertwines with immigration and sports and religion in US history.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I really have no love for Notre Dame, but i like Rick Reilly less and he is almost always wrong. I think he still thinks Lance Armstrong was clean and he is still carping about what a mean person Tiger is.

As a result, Notre Dame will probably go 10-2.

Can I think Lance Armstrong is dirty and still think the USADA is a two bit organization on a vendetta? I mean it's obvious they care more about nailing someone for past transgressions than monitoring active athletes.

Reaction Score
After all, even the nickname "Fighting Irish" was coined by a New York sportswriter who meant it as an insult, not a compliment.
The name originated from Fielding Yost, who was complimenting the team after a loss to ND, saying the "Irish" are good.

Reaction Score
Can I think Lance Armstrong is dirty and still think the USADA is a two bit organization on a vendetta? I mean it's obvious they care more about nailing someone for past transgressions than monitoring active athletes.

Yes, but it will be great to see Lance get his comeuppance after trashing everyone who has had the guts to tell the truth about Juan Pelota.

Reaction Score
as much as i don't genrally care for Rick Reilly's writing, i seriously doubt he'd allow himself to be ESPN's mouthpiece. he's way too self-important to just chirp the company line. i think he wrote the article for the same reason we've been saying it for a decade: b/c it's obviously true, and b/c anything about Notre Dame generates interest. of course this guy makes proclamations like he's the first one to realize it. i mean come on "I'm declaring an end to all that"... get over yourself

Like his stuff or not (I'm generally a "not"), Reilly is, or seems to be, respected and widely read. At ESPN, he seems to have a sports writer's dream-gig. Since he probably believes every word in the "column," it's not a stretch to believe that ESPN strongly "suggested" he write a anti-ND column. The piece is probably step-one of a smear ND project; a project that will show ESPN's nasty /vindictive side. What better way to get the ball rolling? A "respected" columnist and a subject on which, most Non-ND, college FB fans agree. Now ESPN, using Reilly's supposed credibility, can sic it's shrill, intellectually corrupt "Talking Heads" on ND.

Kinda makes one wonder what ESPN will say about the BE if it signs with NBC. Although I can't see how it could get much worse.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is descending at the same rate as the Catholic Church.
Coincidence?

And Rick Reilly has become just as irrelevent since he left SI.

Reaction Score
Oh look, another 4+ page thread on the irrelevance of ND.

I don't like them either, but there's a reason they have all the advantages they do; they earned them.

Golic's rant this morning was exactly right. No, the product on the field no longer "deserves" all of their BCS/NBC benefits, but if it was your school you'd do the exact same thing. And if you say otherwise you're either a liar or a moron. If the product on the field mattered above all else, the ACC wouldn't have any advantages over the Big East with the Bowls or ESPN.

Reaction Score
Like his stuff or not (I'm generally a "not"), Reilly is, or seems to be, respected and widely read. At ESPN, he seems to have a sports writer's dream-gig. Since he probably believes every word in the "column," it's not a stretch to believe that ESPN strongly "suggested" he write a anti-ND column. The piece is probably step-one of a smear ND project; a project that will show ESPN's nasty /vindictive side. What better way to get the ball rolling? A "respected" columnist and a subject on which, most Non-ND, college FB fans agree. Now ESPN, using Reilly's supposed credibility, can sic it's shrill, intellectually corrupt "Talking Heads" on ND.

Kinda makes one wonder what ESPN will say about the BE if it signs with NBC. Although I can't see how it could get much worse.

Below it is noted that Golic, ESPN and ND, went on +ND rant. Sort of shoots holes in my above "post." More and more, I seem to be exercising my right to be wrong. Everyone at ESPN does not have to follow the company line unless, of course, Golic ends up unemployed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd like to hear from conspiracy kitty on this.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Is this even a conspiracy anymore? Would it still be if ESPN took out a bill board that said "ESPN - the worldwide leader in trying to kill the Big East" because that pretty much all that's left at this point.

Reaction Score
Below it is noted that Golic, ESPN and ND, went on +ND rant. Sort of shoots holes in my above "post." More and more, I seem to be exercising my right to be wrong. Everyone at ESPN does not have to follow the company line unless, of course, Golic ends up unemployed.

obviously they wouldn't fire Golic regardless of what he said about ND. personally i'm tired of their schtick but he's a big draw for them. the truth is however that Golic's defense didn't differ from ESPN's line at all. he admitted they didn't deserve any accolades today but said there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of capitalism. i agree with him and i think it's the logically correct opinion but at the core of his defense is that ND isn't that great on the field anymore and that's the point. if everyone decides they don't want to watch them b/c they're not any good anymore the capitalism side should take care of itself.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The name originated from Fielding Yost, who was complimenting the team after a loss to ND, saying the "Irish" are good.

Thats the coach from Remember The Titans right? (yes i know who he really is)

Reaction Score
The interesting thing will be if ND/Big East (and my bet it is this will be some kind of package deal, as much as we will hate it) go with NBC how much coverage will Big East will get on ESPN. Probably less than NHL.
BTW, don't forget all the NBC affiliates who would love to put on college football before or after ND kicks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom