Rich: UConn may have what it takes to achieve greatness | The Boneyard

Rich: UConn may have what it takes to achieve greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Here is Auriemma’s take on this team’s path to greatness …

“I don’t think Stefanie Dolson is going to change one bit,’’ Auriemma said. “She’s going to play at an All-American level all year. I don’t think Kaleena will be any less than she was (Tuesday). I think we need Stewie to keep getting better and better where she can dominate games for 38 minutes, 35 minutes. (Tuesday) she did it for about 20 minutes. We need our young guys – Moriah Jefferson, Brianna Banks, Kiah Stokes, Saniya Chong didn’t play much (Tuesday) … We need them to play a little more basketball and as the season goes on get them a little more comfortable."

LINK

Reaction Score
Here is Auriemma’s take on this team’s path to greatness …

“I don’t think Stefanie Dolson is going to change one bit,’’ Auriemma said. “She’s going to play at an All-American level all year. I don’t think Kaleena will be any less than she was (Tuesday). I think we need Stewie to keep getting better and better where she can dominate games for 38 minutes, 35 minutes. (Tuesday) she did it for about 20 minutes. We need our young guys – Moriah Jefferson, Brianna Banks, Kiah Stokes, Saniya Chong didn’t play much (Tuesday) … We need them to play a little more basketball and as the season goes on get them a little more comfortable."

LINK
I think Geno always see a half full glass as nearly empty. This one is to the brim. Will rival the 2001 team as the most talented we ever had.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They could well but up there with the 2002 and 2009 teams. (The top 2 from our poll/playoffs this summer).

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that he doesn't mention Bria Hartley at all...

Last edited:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I wouldn't read anything into that - just an inadvertent omission, I suspect. When you read the full article, what I found most interesting were Geno's comments at the end - "“But it’s a long season and a lot is going to happen between now and March. This group likes each other and the coaching staff likes them. That’s not always the case. And I don’t know if they like the coaching staff, but they like each other and the coaching staff likes them and that’s a scenario that doesn’t always happen in college.’’

Given the amount of time "these guys" have to spend with each other, the long travel, the stress and challenges - this is really good to hear.

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree with Geno's assessment 100%.......When he states that Dolson and Kaleena are going to be playing at or above AA level all year long I take it that he knows they are going to give their all whenever on the court. He knows , and I believe , that Stewie is the key. If he can get Stewie to exert herself for 35mins every game they are going to be hard to beat. And if the MoJeff's , Banks , Stokes , and Saniya provide what they can it gets unbeatable. He didn't mention Morgan and Bria because they are his steadiest horses right now. They are going to be there every practice and every game.

When you put it all together I think he believe's that this could be a special team....With special talents and special capabilities to accomplish something special.
There are no show stoppers on the schedule. Difficulties yes , showstoppers , No. If everyone plays up to their potential everytime out, I think Geno believe's that this team could run the table.

I hope it can.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

xHunt....IMO you may be reading something into Rich's article. I think the press conference after the Duke game was 25 minutes long. It is probable Bria was mentioned, but not in the quotes Rich pulled for his piece. In addition, the picture I saw had Geno sitting w/ Stef, KML and Stewie being interviewed. Makes sense he mentioned them, they were right there. Geno loves Bria's play this year. He has played her 342 minutes, watched her score 15.2 pts per game, dish 60 assists w/ only 15 turnovers, grab 46 rebounds and pilfer 20 steals. She is #1 in assists and #2 in scoring. She is a senior who is providing senior leadership. No issue what-so-ever....IMO. Go Huskies..!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I knew that article was too good to be true. Thanks.
I imagine she is either anxious, nervous, overwhelmed or in Geno's doghouse. You could kind of see it in her face during warmups. She's probably gonna transfer to TN after Christmas.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
The one thing that sticks in my mind,is,as the season continues to progress,each individual on the team becomes more comfortable,and as comfort gets in the mind and body,very good things happen.The bench is good,but will get better as the season moves on.The major injuries will continue to heal.The trust in the coaching and in one's team mates will grow stronger.Amazingly,as good as this team is,there is growth ahead for the underclassmen,and opportunity to show leadership by those that may have been timid or cautious to do so.This is becoming one of those magical years,that you rarely see in any arena,and what is fantastic to realize,is,that the team machine will keep on rolling beyond this year.How exciting to watch!

Reaction Score
xHunt....IMO you may be reading something into Rich's article. I think the press conference after the Duke game was 25 minutes long. It is probable Bria was mentioned, but not in the quotes Rich pulled for his piece. In addition, the picture I saw had Geno sitting w/ Stef, KML and Stewie being interviewed. Makes sense he mentioned them, they were right there. Geno loves Bria's play this year. He has played her 342 minutes, watched her score 15.2 pts per game, dish 60 assists w/ only 15 turnovers, grab 46 rebounds and pilfer 20 steals. She is #1 in assists and #2 in scoring. She is a senior who is providing senior leadership. No issue what-so-ever....IMO. Go Huskies..!!

That 4:1 A:T ratio is incredible, and a vast improvement over last year's pedestrian 1.6:1.

Now the only thing she has left to do is improve her 3-point shot, below 30% both last year and this year.

Reaction Score
Watch Sunday's game and see how UCONN destroys CAL........by 25 or more..........

Reaction Score
4 of the starting 5 are all americans, and moriah's not bad, either. they all shoot the 3, they all rebound, they all play decent defense, they all pass the ball well. only notre dame, on a really good night, could challenge this team this year. 2002 and 2009 were pretty good teams, but i think this starting team is the best that wcbb has ever seen. and then you've got 4 people on the bench who can really play , also. a group like this may never be seen again.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
4 of the starting 5 are all americans, and moriah's not bad, either. they all shoot the 3, they all rebound, they all play decent defense, they all pass the ball well. only notre dame, on a really good night, could challenge this team this year. 2002 and 2009 were pretty good teams, but i think this starting team is the best that wcbb has ever seen. and then you've got 4 people on the bench who can really play , also. a group like this may never be seen again.

We lose Stef and Bria
We get 4 of the most athletic, gifted and intelligent backcout recruits in living memory.
We're short a big and the requisite development time.

I can't imagine that next year we will be much less good…and the year after?
Watch out.

Sorry to sound like Tony

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I imagine she is either anxious, nervous, overwhelmed or in Geno's doghouse. You could kind of see it in her face during warmups. She's probably gonna transfer to TN after Christmas.

She probably misses Jackson.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that this team might rival the 2002 and 2009 squads. Of course, they need to do it on the court.

I am not concerned about Bria not being cited. It could be because Kaleena and Stef were AAs last year. And Breanna is supposed to be the best player in the nation. Geno might be trying to motivate Bria, as well.

I think our first 9 will all play in the WNBA. I also think the following players will get their names on the wall:

Bria--accomplished in 2012 and possibly 2014

Kaleena--2013 and counting

Stef--2013 and probably 2014

Breanna--probably 3x

Morgan

Moriah--probably 2x

Saniya

That's 7 AAs on the team. I think the 2001 team had 6, including 2 NPOYs.

Reaction Score

i must apologize for writing this. i had not read rich's entire article, just the quote at the top. looks pretty dumb to write something that geno basically said himself in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom