Rich on the Gabby Williams 'equipment failure' | The Boneyard

Rich on the Gabby Williams 'equipment failure'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“They talk about some people have two left feet,’’ Auriemma said. “Well, today she had two right ones. I wasn’t going to play her at all, but I felt bad for her so I put her in. Again, it’s typical freshman stuff. They don’t quite get it. They don’t quite understand. They expect somebody to bring their stuff. You’ve got to grow up a little bit. You’ve got to take care of your own stuff. It’s like calling a plumber to come to your house. `Yo, you’ve got a leak over here.’ Well, fix it.’ `Oh, damn. I forgot my wrench.’ `Well, why the hell did you come over?’ You’re a basketball player. You showed up, `Ugh, I’ve got the wrong sneakers.’ The one thing you’ve got to bring. Ugh. Don’t get me started. Don’t get me started.’’

LINK

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Ugh. Don’t get me started. Don’t get me started."

Poor Gabby is going to hear about this for weeks. :)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
pap49cba said:
"Ugh. Don’t get me started. Don’t get me started." Poor Gabby is going to hear about this for weeks. :)

Or well into her senior year. After an All American senior year, Geno will still refer to Gabby as they only player in UCONN history to bring two right shoes to a game!!

Reaction Score
CTyankee said:
This has to rate right up there with Swin Cash... Scoring a basket in the wrong basket!!!

Still one of my all time favorite bloopers.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
What am I missing? She brought two right sneakers. So, Geno didn't play her. But she played. So, she must have found a left shoe. When did she find it? Did she warm up? And if she had a pair of sneakers, why didn't she play? Where did the pair of sneakers that she wore come from?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
What am I missing? She brought two right sneakers. So, Geno didn't play her. But she played. So, she must have found a left shoe. When did she find it? Did she warm up? And if she had a pair of sneakers, why didn't she play? Where did the pair of sneakers that she wore come from?

Looks like Gabby had appropriate shoes in this pre-game photo by DannyK.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=787288161329446

So holding her out until 9min left in the game and not have her participated in warm up may be a point the
coaching staff was trying to make.

Reaction Score
I'm glad Gabby is a Husky, and I'm sure by the time she graduates there will
be a whole lot of Husky fans that are glad also. Go get em' Gabby!!!

I like the way she posts up and demands the ball. She is quick and uses her
body to get position to demand the ball. She has never played the post
position and is adapting nicely. She could become another match up
nightmare for opposing teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Williams was not out for the first warm-ups. Just as the players when back into the dressing room, Williams came out and had to turn around and go right back in with the team. Someone must have got her shoe to her by then. She came out with the team the second time for warmups and intros, etc. Didn't play the first half.

Actually happy it was just a shoe and not her knee or poor practice that was the problem. She played pretty well while she was in. Seemed very focused. Posted up very strong, really wanting the ball. No chance of it coming back out after she got it. Went right to the hoop.

Reaction Score

where was the game ? how far from the dorm is that ?

What time do they have to be at the arena ?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
where was the game ? how far from the dorm is that ?

What time do they have to be at the arena ?
Well the game was at the XL Center (or Harford Civic Center or Veteran's Memorial Coliseum). About 26 miles. I'm sure they get there a couple hours before the game. Time to get taped, warm ups, pre-game brief. She probably figured out at some point she didn't have the right shoes (or I guess the left shoe). Then they must have either called someone back at the college or someone drove back and got it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Well the game was at the XL Center (or Harford Civic Center or Veteran's Memorial Coliseum). About 26 miles. I'm sure they get there a couple hours before the game. Time to get taped, warm ups, pre-game brief. She probably figured out at some point she didn't have the right shoes (or I guess the left shoe). Then they must have either called someone back at the college or someone drove back and got it.

Okay, but if the Coaches were trying to make a point, why send someone back to get the shoe? No big deal, just curious.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Okay, but if the Coaches were trying to make a point, why send someone back to get the shoe? No big deal, just curious.
Don't know that the coaches did. I would imagine it was Williams responsibility to fix the problem. She may have called someone or asked one of the managers??? IDK, but whatever, the shoe eventually showed up.

Reaction Score
My guess is the day (or two) that Geno, arriving for the game, looked down and saw two different shoes on his feet. At that point he realized that he had a pair just like them at home. (Just supposing from my own experience).:)

Reaction Score
I'm willing to give 2 to 1 odds on any amount that Gabby never again shows up shoe-less for any of her UConn games. Any takers? And while this was/is more than likely an embarrassing and regretful event on Gabby's part, it could have been worse. Geno could have had her play a la Vola Budd ...just to make a point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm willing to give 2 to 1 odds on any amount that Gabby never again shows up shoe-less for any of her UConn games. Any takers? And while this was/is more than likely an embarrassing and regretful event on Gabby's part, it could have been worse. Geno could have had her play a la Vola Budd ...just to make a point.
Is that Zola Budd's sister?

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member