Rich: Geno with MUCH more to say about the game.... | The Boneyard

Rich: Geno with MUCH more to say about the game....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
....but this is it, he's finished talking.

"I’m not advocating … I come from Italy. We led the world in thinking the world was flat. So who the hell am I to say anything? You know how many years it took us to figure out it was round? What the hell do I know?’’

Reaction Score
LOVE Geno.....apparently, he's the only one that gets it. Everybody else is just afraid to say what he's saying. He's like the Bernie Mac of women's basketball...lol

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Pretty much agree with Geno's take on this issue. I think he covers all the bases. Others will (and clearly do) disagree.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Geno finished talking? He is so refreshing. I can not wait for the season to start.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

"I’m not advocating … I come from Italy. We led the world in thinking the world was flat. So who the hell am I to say anything? You know how many years it took us to figure out it was round? What the hell do I know?’’

It's funny as hell, but an urban myth that Italians or Europeans in general thought the world was flat when Columbus sailed. They had a misunderstanding about the circumference, thought it was smaller, but Columbus sailed west, not to see what was at the edge, but because he thought it was a shorter route to India.

mr006

Reaction Score
there you go, ruining a perfectly good quote... ;)

Do I recall correctly that Columbus was turned down several times for that very reason, that they were suspicious of the circumference numbers that he presented?

Reaction Score
Get out! The earth is not flat? How about the ball? Surely that is flat. I always thought the ball was flat . And that comforted me regarding my discovery that I could not induce the ball to go into the round basket.

Or, coulda been I needed the 71 inch wingspan?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I love Geno and love that he cares enough about the women's game to make suggestions about making it better. I hope he never stops talking.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Very often Geno's comments are simply aimed at getting people talking about the women's game. He usually succeeds.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I’ll give you one player on our team that never misses a layup. Breanna Stewart. You know why? She has a 71-inch wingspan. So every shot she takes she’s up near the rim. That’s why she doesn’t miss layups. Everybody else is throwing the ball up towards the rim. I’m not making this up. This is the honest to God truth. So what are you going to do to help those kids that don’t have a 71-inch wingspan to get the closer to the rim? That’s all this is about.

Pretty much what I said in the other thread. Great minds...:cool:

Reaction Score
Winlots...
With you, I don't know. To be on the safe side you might be better off going with the 80 inch wingspan !
lol

Slimmer

Reaction Score
7'1" wingspan, not 71" (5'11")
He's Italian. What does he know?

This is not the first evidence that Geno, like President Obama just admitted about himself, is no math whiz.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's funny as hell, but an urban myth that Italians or Europeans in general thought the world was flat when Columbus sailed. They had a misunderstanding about the circumference, thought it was smaller, but Columbus sailed west, not to see what was at the edge, but because he thought it was a shorter route to India.

Thought about posting this but let it go. Actually many people had a pretty good estimate on circumference. Columbus was relying on an older published computation that had been repudiated.

Reaction Score

The World is flat! Just look at any map;)

Geno is fascinating to listen to,whatever he is talking about. Re some of the issues he recently brought up. The height of the basket,the basketball,the rims! These are all issues that are being discussed in the Womens Basketball world. One problem,is the cost to make this happen everywhere! This was mentioned by others since his comments!

Who else gets more attention talking about Womens basketball?
He is a classic! John Wooden brought up over the years issues related to BB!
Certainly with a different demeanor,but we cont to see Geno in so many ways
how he is a student of the Wizzard.
Ira

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
..And his comments were worth a full column in today's NY Times.

Reaction Score
Winlots...
With you, I don't know. To be on the safe side you might be better off going with the 80 inch wingspan !
lol

Slimmer
SLIM - well, i thought you knew enuf to realize that it's a given that I start off on a step ladder, so i'm still thinkin the 71 inch would do it?

Reaction Score
MAGIC - doggone, you make a poweful point re what the map shows us. We're on the same page in this issue for sure.

Reaction Score
MAGIC - the rest of what you wrote in your post seems dead on to me as well (just read the whole thing). If I were a Commish, I would go with the larger ball WAY befoe I'd mess around with the rim height, for a ton of reasons. But I think Geno's major thrust was to get people thinking about improving the game.

Frankly, as is already known of course, I think the smaller crowds at the play-offs vs. just a few years back, might be a function of the slide on the womens game toward the crapola (decline of sportmanship, rule violations, intent to injure etc) that goes on at the men's side of the game....not any absence of flash and dunking. These gals can create plenty of flash and entretainment with their mastery of the fundamentals of the game.

mr006

Reaction Score
How about the ball? Surely that is flat. I always thought the ball was flat . And that comforted me regarding my discovery that I could not induce the ball to go into the round basket.

you sure you weren't playing Frisbee Golf? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom