Rich: Geno owes Polly a car.... | The Boneyard

Rich: Geno owes Polly a car....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“Polly (ticked) me off so much. (Thursday) I told her I’d buy her a car if she ever got an assist,’’ Auriemma said. “That kid refuses to pass the ball to anybody, even in practice. This kid high jumped all last year and comes out here and thinks she’s Kobe Bryant. So what did she do? She got an assist today. Now she wants a car.’’

LINK

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I try to imagine sometimes how tough the UConn women must be when they have to listen to some of the things Geno says to needle them, and take it in stride. Well, obviously they know that he's got their best interests at heart. Why else would they play the way do for him? But one quote of Geno's the other day was painful. He said, about Breanna Stewart, something to the effect that people had said early in the game that she needed to clear her head, but that's hard to do when there's nothing there (sorry I don't have the exact quote). And then Kerith Burke repeated it to Breanna Stewart's father on SNY. Thankfully, he reacted well to Geno's very dry humor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They all get it. And their parents do, too.

Reaction Score
Any player with a thin skin better think twice about playing for Geno. And parents with thin skins better think twice about letting their daughter play for him. It isn't like Geno just started coaching, and the stories of his comments to players to get them motivated are well documented. Nothing should surprise them.

Reaction Score
When UConn was moving towards the 88 win streak of UCLA's men's team, they had a gathering of former players. Kara Wolters told the story of how Geno once told her at halftime you have one more rebound than a dead person buried six feet under the ground. Funny how so many of them make their way back to Storrs.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Painful? If you consider that painful, you need to pay closer attention. ;-)

ThisJustin seemingly doesn't think it's painful. Icebear says they all get it. and UConnChapette says you need a thick skin to play for Geno. Well, maybe so; I have often defended his techniques and made light of his sarcasm towards his players. But there's a difference between saying something like that in the gym or in private, and saying it on television where a large audience can hear it and misinterpret it.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Do we really think that Geno thinks Stewart is an idiot? Somehow I doubt it.

Reaction Score
ThisJustin seemingly doesn't think it's painful. Icebear says they all get it. and UConnChapette says you need a thick skin to play for Geno. Well, maybe so; I have often defended his techniques and made light of his sarcasm towards his players. But there's a difference between saying something like that in the gym or in private, and saying it on television where a large audience can hear it and misinterpret it.

It really doesn't matter if a larger audience hears or misinterprets it. The message is for Stewie.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And Kalana "couldn't guard a chair". Sue had more interest in the boy in the stands than she did in basketball. Bria was "defending both baskets." I would like to see a whole thread of Geno's Gibes.

Reaction Score

I'm guessing that he did start off by saying this in private or in the gym and only escalated when she did not change her ways. We know Geno made a similar comment at least once in public -- Rich Elliott quoted him on Nov. 2 as saying "it’s funny because T’s a 10-times better shooter than Polly, but Polly will shoot it 10 times as often as T.’’

Sounds to me like this is an on-going issue, and Geno is ratcheting up the heat because Polly hasn't responded well to repeated warnings.

Reaction Score
And Geno cares what EVERYONE thinks????? I seriously doubt it. I think he feels that if anyone doesn't get his motivational probes, then that's their problems.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I recall Stewie playfully mussing up Geno's hair (on camera), which suggest that the banter goes both ways.

Not only Stewie, but the large majority of his players.

Reaction Score
Can't do it until graduation, NCAA violation.

Didn't he give Tamika Williams an airplane once? OK, it was a paper airplane, not a toy one, but I'm not sure the NCAA has much of a sense of humor anyway.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Didn't he give Tamika Williams an airplane once? OK, it was a paper airplane, not a toy one, but I'm not sure the NCAA has much of a sense of humor anyway.
Paper airplanes have no real value, some would say the same of limericks on poster board but that almost caused a fracas with the NCAA. Toy cars have a price, not worth the risk. Maybe a drawing of a car as long as it isn't signed by Geno. eBay would love to put a price on that.

Reaction Score
Paper airplanes have no real value, some would say the same of limericks on poster board but that almost caused a fracas with the NCAA. Toy cars have a price, not worth the risk. Maybe a drawing of a car as long as it isn't signed by Geno. eBay would love to put a price on that.

Maybe a cut-out photo of a car from a used magazine: a brand new sheet of paper might run you half a cent per sheet.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I saw Burke's comment to Breanna's dad. What a loser! Typical media flunkie. Trying to stir up some controversy just for the sake of stirring up some controversy. I thought it was greatly uncalled for.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe a cut-out photo of a car from a used magazine: a brand new sheet of paper might run you half a cent per sheet.
Now you are thinking. Although we are talking the NCAA they will probably find someway to insert themselves in the midst of the situation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And then Kerith Burke repeated it to Breanna Stewart's father on SNY.
Yea, that part bothered me. It was almost like Burke was trying to create problems. And to do that on air. Mr. Stewart handled it well though.

Reaction Score
Have you noticed over the years how relaxed the players are even in high profile games. I think that part of Geno's banter is what makes thesee kids so relaxed. They have fun, comedy goes along way!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I saw Burke's comment to Breanna's dad. What a loser! Typical media flunkie. Trying to stir up some controversy just for the sake of stirring up some controversy. I thought it was greatly uncalled for.

At first, I felt kinda the same way..and, then I considered that addressing this perceived "issue" head-on would tend to diffuse it. That's what I think was the actual intent. As has been noted, comments like this from Geno have been around as long as he has. The things that have changed are, 1), communication in the twitterverse is instant and bereft of accuracy-check, and 2) "kids today" are perceived as being more sensitive and coddled. Add in the recent focus on abusive actions by coaches and AD's, and you have a raised sensitivity to even the perception of callousness from a coach.

If you think you might have put a "foot wrong", or, even if some folks are claiming you did, addressing it quickly and directly is the way to go. I really don't think Burke is trying to stir up trouble for Geno - quite the opposite, in fact.

Reaction Score

i'm completely with you on this, and not just because i'm a dodger fan. there certainly is a time and a place to say things, and i saw no reason for him to make that comment about breanna in front of the cameras. what on earth was the point ? funny? witty? hardly. ugly was what came to my mind.that was not a pretty picture of him. and i'm just not convinced that the players always shrug off those comments.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
i'm completely with you on this. this is the side of geno that has always bothered me. imo, there has to be a line that coaches don't cross in PUBLIC comments about players. coaches have to show that much respect for their players. geno doesn't think so, along with most people on this board. it matters not to me that people on this board think that he has no boundaries, but it flat out angers me that he seems to feel that way himself. i don't know how so many here are so sure that the players simply brush off these comments. maybe at practice, but not when said during a tv interview.
Well I think the players know that Geno is and is going to be extremely truthful with them. Pull no punches. Say it like it is. etc. And I imagine he and the coaching staff have talked about whatever it is he says publicly, numerous time with the player in practice and privately. So it's probably nothing they have not heard and discussed before.

Also from the SNY Access shows we know they do run the good cop/bad cop thing with the players. If one coach is really tough on a player during a practice, another coach will give them some comfort, encouragement, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom