Rhonda Rompola To Retire As Coach At SMU | The Boneyard

Rhonda Rompola To Retire As Coach At SMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After 35 years on the Hilltop as a coach and student-athlete, Rhonda Rompola will step away from SMU and from coaching at the conclusion of the 2015-16 season, as the long-time coach announced today that she will retire at season’s end. In all, Rompola has played or coached in 35 of the 40 seasons SMU has sponsored women’s basketball as a varsity sport.

“SMU has a special place in my heart. It has given me the opportunity to coach this game I love for so many years. I want to thank President Turner, the administration and the SMU community for a wonderful experience and career.”

“Any discussion of SMU women’s basketball starts with Rhonda Rompola,” said SMU President Dr. R. Gerald Turner. “We all owe Coach Rompola a great debt of gratitude for her faithful service to the university and to her student-athletes. I know I speak for the entire SMU family when I say, ‘Thank you, Rhonda,’ for a job well done.”

Rompola is in her 25th season as head coach of the Mustangs and has an overall record of 438-314. During her tenure as head coach, she has led the Mustangs to the postseason 13 times, including seven NCAA Tournament berths (1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2008), and captured five conference championships (1999, 2000, 2008, 2009 and 2013).

http://whoopdirt.com/breaking-rhonda-rompola-announces-retirement-as-womens-basketball-coach-at-smu/
MORE...

So ...they have to find someone to replace a school legend, AND someone who is willing to start their career by going up against Geno and UConn. That shouldn't be to hard to pull off. :eek: :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great career there. I hope they find a young dynamic coach. SMU is in a great metro and regional area for recruiting and the AAC is a pretty good conference for WCBB - Uconn being a mixed blessing, positive on the whole I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom