Requiem for the Big East | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Requiem for the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Geezus!!! I haven't watched this "documentary" and probably won't based on what I've read here, But it's obviously not meant to be a memoriam of how great the Big East was from roughly 1984 to 2012. The filmmaker had an agenda and he achieved his goal. You guys are obviously still talking about it. Let it go. The Big East is no more...at least in comparison to what it once was. There's a lot of blame to go around and whether you're off by a $mil her or a $mil there on an unexecuted contract that no one really has any detail on wont get it back.

Reaction Score
i think the broad point is that the BB schools like where they are and are getting paid well with long term security.

uconn is still "hoping to god" they get a call from the B1G or ACC... no one is happy with the AAC.

Reaction Score
i think the broad point is that the BB schools like where they are and are getting paid well with long term security.

uconn is still "hoping to god" they get a call from the B1G or ACC... no one is happy with the AAC.

$4m is getting paid? ugh, that kills UConn.

Right now UConn is getting $8m a year when you factor in the $6m from the left over money for the next 4 years, plus the IMG money.

In 5 years, when the tap runs dry, then UConn will be in trouble, but a move down to $4m certainly isn't going to help.

Reaction Score
last year... BE BB schools were getting ~$1.4M. regardless of any rhetorical contracts that were or were not turned down... they are now getting $4.16 which can increase with expansion to 12 teams.

i'm CERTAINLY not arguing about finances between uconn and BE schools. the state of CT can drop a billion dollars or so any time they please to help the school.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
last year... BE BB schools were getting ~$1.4M. regardless of any rhetorical contracts that were or were not turned down... they are now getting $4.16 which can increase with expansion to 12 teams.

i'm CERTAINLY not arguing about finances between uconn and BE schools. the state of CT can drop a billion dollars or so any time they please to help the school.

Sure, you are getting $4M, but don't forget you left $100M in the kitty and nobody is watching your league.

Reaction Score
Sure, you are getting $4M, but don't forget you left $100M in the kitty and nobody is watching your league.
i've read $70M...

and as to the bolded point... we're in the same boat there (yikes without lousiville).

fox seems to know what they are doing in all other facets of business, so i would bet on them to succeed. don't forget this whole venture was thrown together very quickly last year.

Reaction Score
i've read $70M...

and as to the bolded point... we're in the same boat there (yikes without lousiville).

fox seems to know what they are doing in all other facets of business, so i would bet on them to succeed. don't forget this whole venture was thrown together very quickly last year.

UConn - Memphis on ESPN: over 1 million viewers.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
What's wrong with you people? At least there was a still photo up on the screen for maybe two seconds showing our former AD, John Toner, throwing his hand into the middle of a huddle, with the other athletic directors of the original Big East Conference. And John was right in the middle of them all, sporting a big smile! What more do you want?
John Toner taught my mom how to play golf. Also wrote me a nice letter of recommendation upon graduation.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
During Pat Ewing's 1st year (the Freddie Brown game), UConn gave G'town it's worst loss, by 9 points at G'town. That team had talent, but horrible coaching. They ended up losing 7 out of their last 8. Any competent AD would have canned the coach. Instead, we gave him 4 more years. And when he finally brought in a good recruit, he didn't play him. During the timeframe of this doc, we were a joke.
Good point. We briefly got into the Top 20 that season after beating 'nova at the HCC(on a Karl Hobbs putback).

Reaction Score
UConn - Memphis on ESPN: over 1 million viewers.

I dont know If I would mind how much people are watching right now if I was the nBE... they are still getting their sweet money they wanted and all games on TV. I would be worried after that 12 year contract is midway. Those numbers need to go up... but now? f c k it, they should enjoy the ride for now. In a few year its bound to go up

Reaction Score
I dont know If I would mind how much people are watching right now if I was the nBE... they are still getting their sweet money they wanted and all games on TV. I would be worried after that 12 year contract is midway. Those numbers need to go up... but now? f c k it, they should enjoy the ride for now. In a few year its bound to go up

That's not the point. I wrote that to refute the idea that no one is watching UConn.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Uh, I'd say UConn sucked 1983-1987. It might depend on your definition of suck but 20 wins and 8-6 BE record in 1981 and then a 7-7 BE record in 1982. They were decent to mediocre in 1982. In 1981 they were actually good.

Many teams have had a longer period of suckage.
I was a senior when we joined the BE in 1979(and broadcast the very first BE game--a December '79 Field House wipeout of Seton Hall--on WHUS. That year, and for the next several, we were looking up at the 3 titans of the league: GT, Syr and StJ. We got off to great starts in '80-'81 and '81-'82 but faded into the NIT at the end. IMHO, the death of the BE was overexpansion. In my perfect hoop world, the conference would have been limited to 10 teams. Once it started adding non-Eastern teams, the end was inevitable.

Reaction Score
I was a senior when we joined the BE in 1979(and broadcast the very first BE game--a December '79 Field House wipeout of Seton Hall--on WHUS. That year, and for the next several, we were looking up at the 3 titans of the league: GT, Syr and StJ. We got off to great starts in '80-'81 and '81-'82 but faded into the NIT at the end. IMHO, the death of the BE was overexpansion. In my perfect hoop world, the conference would have been limited to 10 teams. Once it started adding non-Eastern teams, the end was inevitable.

Well it was Rutgers and West Virginia at first, no different than Pitt really. Then Miami for football, and Virginia Tech came along years later.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Jeez, I thought when you meant expansion, you were referring to the 1990s, not the early expansions when it was a 6 team league.
Nope. I was referring to expansion in general. The "eastern teams" comment may have muddied the waters.
And it started as a 7-team league.
The turning point for me was the inclusion of ND. Nothing "east" about it.

Reaction Score
Nope. I was referring to expansion in general. The "eastern teams" comment may have muddied the waters.
And it started as a 7-team league.
The turning point for me was the inclusion of ND. Nothing "east" about it.

You didn't hear we are a NYC school that was accidentally built in Indiana?

The Big East added Miami on a geographic island 4 years before the ND contract. The Big East was fundamentally changed at that point.

Reaction Score
I wonder if they had enough votes to override Pitt/Syr and take the deal. That would put the ball in their court and announce that they were leaving for the ACC before they knew the ACC would take them.

I doubt anyone will ever sort out all the drama that went on.

Syracuse voted for that new tv deal - Pitt, Notre Dame etc did not. In fact Boeheim went on record asking how Notre Dame only a partial Big East member got a vote on the Big East football tv deal football they weren't even a part of.

Reaction Score
Syracuse voted for that new tv deal - Pitt, Notre Dame etc did not. In fact Boeheim went on record asking how Notre Dame only a partial Big East member got a vote on the Big East football tv deal football they weren't even a part of.

I hadn't heard that. At one point we weren't being consulted on expansion. If ND had a vote on the tv contract it's most likely because it stipulated the # of football games ND would play in the Big East. ESPN was not going to rely on Dr Kevin White's verbal opinion.

Reaction Score
Gotta love some Hoya fans complaining about the star treatment of Peral Washington as BY FAR the greatest BE PG ever!!
They bring up Iverson and how spectacular he was. Same fans want to ignore post 1990s however.

Reaction Score
REQUIEM FOR THE BIG EAST - THE 2014 NCAA TOURNAMENT

The ESPN production Requiem for the Big East which aired on March 16th chronicled the rise and fall of the old Big East Conference. Many fans of the teams from that old league and a new incarnation of it were not happy with the documentary. They decided to stage their own version. The finale for their tale was to be the 2014 NCAA Tournament and its star was the descendant league, the new Catholic Big East. It would prove to be the definitive story of the end.

Ten schools banded together in 2013 to form a new league from the ashes of the old Big East purchasing the right to use its name for their new genesis. Never before had a league been formed with so much hype. It however was false hype predicated on the past. It was bound for failure the moment it was formed as it would never be able meet its supporters' high expectations. This is the story of hubris gone wrong and it culminated in the disaster of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

The new Catholic Big East expected that all it had to do was field teams, play lots of home games against weak opponents, and wait for many bids on Selection Sunday. It however did not work out quite that way. The early signs were there in the OOC portion of the schedule when league teams failed to beat enough good opponents and added to that woe with unexpected losses to supposed inferior teams. This was followed up in conference play when members failed to separate themselves from one another. The mediocre records of teams resulted in the unthinkable with just four of the ten teams invited to participate in the 2014 NCAA Tournament. Adding to the shock, the selection committee chairman stated that the new Catholic Big East Champion would not have made the field as an at large candidate. This meant that only three teams were at large worthy. Even more insulting, one of the NCAA invitees was relegated to participating in the play in game to be staged on a rival’s home court.

The new league’s diehard fans dismissed all the warning signs. They belittled media members that questioned the strength of their teams. They deluded themselves into thinking that they were better than others thought and the high seeding of two of their teams would hold up and carry the day.

Fast forward to the first Sunday of the 2014 NCAA Tournament. The Xavier Musketeers flamed out in the play in game against an ACC team and did not advance. The Providence College Friars fell to another ACC team, the North Carolina Tarheels. The league’s two star teams, the Villanova Wildcats and Creighton Bluejays, however won their first games and moved on. Their high seedings meant that both should win their second game and make it to the Sweet-16 and many league fans thought this was a certainty and birthright. Reality however presented a different scenario. The last two new Catholic Big East teams exited with a whimper. Villanova lost to UConn, a team that had been left behind. Creighton got smoked by Baylor, a team from a conference where football was king. The league ultimately had no representation in the Sweet-16. Its lone two wins in the tournament were over Milwaukee and La-Lafayette. The new league and its fans attempt to fool themselves and others that the Big East was still alive failed. The performance of this new league formed from the ashes of its predecessor is the definitive proof that the old Big East is dead forever. May the Big East finally rest in peace.

Ahh... I see you are going around every board pronouncing the Big East as dead. LOOOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom