Report on games played Friday in Tempe | The Boneyard

Report on games played Friday in Tempe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought you might like a first-hand report on Tenn/Green Bay and ASU/N. Mexico St.

First, Tennessee/GB. There were disappointments on both sides of the court -- GB for what they could not put in the basket and Tennessee for once again failing to live up to the level of talent they have assembled. That said, this was a tremendously entertaining game that kept the crowd absorbed until the very end.

For 30 of the 40 minutes, these teams played evenly. Just when you'd think the taller, more physical Vols would have what it took to pull away, their get up and go would get up and leave. Meanwhile, Green Bay did what it does well: Lots of energy and an interchangeable cast of players, most of whom can shoot. It came down to the fourth quarter, when some GB players lost their minds for a couple of possessions, Tesha Buck, who ordinarily gets some long-range shots o fall, totday got bupkis, and some Tenn players stepped up. No matter what the final score was, this was a three-point game at most. With one of its sharpshooters ice cold, GB still did itself proud against a team used to playing in a tougher league.

Now for Tennessee, which barely rose to the occasion. Diamond DeShields went away and hid for most of the game. My reaction (this was my first time seeing her live): What's all the excitement about? T'ea Cooper had a great game and was most of the show for the Vols. I thought Tennessee did a good job of coming back at times by noticing that they were taller than the opposition (duh!) and exploiting it. Mercedes Russell got scads of rebounds but only 8 points. Why they cannot or will not craft plays that exploit her size is a mystery to me.

Second game: ASU vs. New Mexico State. No contest. ASU is better than they have been the last two seasons. Based on this game, there don't seem to be the bizarre defensive lapses that left the team vulnerable in the past. They try to deny the opponent at every point, and they have the athletic players to do it. Their real height is Quinn Dornstauder, who seems to be 6'4' or so and this year is better defensively, even if she does not get all the offensive gimmes that she should. They have a sharpshooter, Katie Hempen, who has a wonderful-looking shot from three-land and shot 6 for 6 today. There are a couple of undersized but decent power forwards who can be effective if they don't get into foul trouble, and a fleet of tiny interchangeable guards who sometimes lose their minds but can on occasions shoot and drive well. The coach constantly changes personnel. I am certain there moist be some sort of logic to it (beyond just having fresh legs in the game), but I am of too little brain to fathom the master plan. Anyway, it confuses the spectators ("Who's that in the game now?"), and I can imagine what it'll do to Tennessee.

New Mexico State just plays at another level. They were expected to be the weakest of the four and sure enough, that's how it panned out. Lots of playground ball at times, not a lot of discipline, and boy, do they dribble all over the place. ASU got at least two steals off of careless dribbling.

And speaking of that: I think ASU wins. Tennessee is just not very good. ASU has been outrebounded before and knows how to deal with it. There will be a decent-sized home crowd at the game Sunday night, so if Hempen and at least one other player are hitting their shots, ASU moves on.

Reaction Score
Thanks! Was thinking it was Green Bays game to lose and that's how it turned out. I have no idea why Tennessee was invited. Neither do they.

Reaction Score
I think ASU wins. Tennessee is just not very good. ASU has been outrebounded before and knows how to deal with it. There will be a decent-sized home crowd at the game Sunday night, so if Hempen and at least one other player are hitting their shots, ASU moves on.
I was there too. Although I'd really like to see ASU win Sunday (that's the only reason I'm going), I have a feeling they won't. Tennessee is just SOOO much more physical. Green Bay played great zone D today, which frustrates TN, but the LV did just enough at the end. I'm afraid they may have a lot more of that "just enough" at a much higher level.

TN makes me sick to my stomach - not only because I hate them just on general principal, but also because of their pathetic blaze attitude. Someone mentioned in another thread that Diamond seemed to be crawling along like she had something sticky on her shoes. I noticed that too - she and Russell move like old ladies. UNTIL they need to tune it on - especially DD. She has more than one 'other gear.' Just doesn't use it until she REALLY needs it. Unfortunately this may be too much for ASU to overcome. ASU's defense is more reliant on physicality than GB's. That's probably not the right formula against TN.

Hope I'm wrong - Go Sun Devils!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thought you might like a first-hand report on Tenn/Green Bay and ASU/N. Mexico St.

First, Tennessee/GB. There were disappointments on both sides of the court -- GB for what they could not put in the basket and Tennessee for once again failing to live up to the level of talent they have assembled. That said, this was a tremendously entertaining game that kept the crowd absorbed until the very end.

For 30 of the 40 minutes, these teams played evenly. Just when you'd think the taller, more physical Vols would have what it took to pull away, their get up and go would get up and leave. Meanwhile, Green Bay did what it does well: Lots of energy and an interchangeable cast of players, most of whom can shoot. It came down to the fourth quarter, when some GB players lost their minds for a couple of possessions, Tesha Buck, who ordinarily gets some long-range shots o fall, totday got bupkis, and some Tenn players stepped up. No matter what the final score was, this was a three-point game at most. With one of its sharpshooters ice cold, GB still did itself proud against a team used to playing in a tougher league.

Now for Tennessee, which barely rose to the occasion. Diamond DeShields went away and hid for most of the game. My reaction (this was my first time seeing her live): What's all the excitement about? T'ea Cooper had a great game and was most of the show for the Vols. I thought Tennessee did a good job of coming back at times by noticing that they were taller than the opposition (duh!) and exploiting it. Mercedes Russell got scads of rebounds but only 8 points. Why they cannot or will not craft plays that exploit her size is a mystery to me.

Second game: ASU vs. New Mexico State. No contest. ASU is better than they have been the last two seasons. Based on this game, there don't seem to be the bizarre defensive lapses that left the team vulnerable in the past. They try to deny the opponent at every point, and they have the athletic players to do it. Their real height is Quinn Dornstauder, who seems to be 6'4' or so and this year is better defensively, even if she does not get all the offensive gimmes that she should. They have a sharpshooter, Katie Hempen, who has a wonderful-looking shot from three-land and shot 6 for 6 today. There are a couple of undersized but decent power forwards who can be effective if they don't get into foul trouble, and a fleet of tiny interchangeable guards who sometimes lose their minds but can on occasions shoot and drive well. The coach constantly changes personnel. I am certain there moist be some sort of logic to it (beyond just having fresh legs in the game), but I am of too little brain to fathom the master plan. Anyway, it confuses the spectators ("Who's that in the game now?"), and I can imagine what it'll do to Tennessee.

New Mexico State just plays at another level. They were expected to be the weakest of the four and sure enough, that's how it panned out. Lots of playground ball at times, not a lot of discipline, and boy, do they dribble all over the place. ASU got at least two steals off of careless dribbling.

And speaking of that: I think ASU wins. Tennessee is just not very good. ASU has been outrebounded before and knows how to deal with it. There will be a decent-sized home crowd at the game Sunday night, so if Hempen and at least one other player are hitting their shots, ASU moves on.

You did an amazing job with your writeup. Sports journalism-quality. Plus, it made me nostalgic because I used to live in Tempe until recently and I would have certainly been there if I still lived there.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if ASU don't beat the Lady Vols. Lady Vols had difficulty putting away Green Bay and would have lost if GB had hit more of their shots. ASU has played tougher competition and they are playing on their home court. Don't see the Lady Vols rising their level of play necessary to beat ASU.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sad commentary on a program like UT that it be considered an underdog in a second-round tournament game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom