Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Why not?

15 won't work because you must have a round robin competition between the divisions. You can't have round robin divisions with three divisions of five. Unless you can come up with a way to have two equal divisions play a round robin schedule with 15 teams, it doesn't work.

BTW - The Big10 pushed to keep that rule in place.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I believe Rutgers has beaten UConn more in football than the other way around. It is what it is. Unfortunately for UConn the demise of the Big East and the hiring of very bad coaches post RE doomed UConn to the AAC. No matter what you say, Rutgers has already benefited by its membership in the B1G. Their basketball program is improving and their football team would have wiped the field with the Diaco led UConn team of last season, at least. UConn got blown out by a horrible BC team, and RU was better than BC. As disgusting as it may be, it is a fact.

I'm not sure Rutgers football was better than BC. They had no heart.

Reaction Score
Would one of the ND fans be kind enough to give us a sense of whether ND plans to join a conference in the near future? I have to admit, this is an interesting development and would love for them to weigh in on it.
No we won't, but we aren't independent truly anymore either. So we are gonna stay half pregnant and milk the golden calf for all it is worth.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn needs the earth to move and pieces to fall back to earth in a favorable way. It could happen if the Big 12 falls apart.

Connecticut's economy worries me in that regard, but right now New England has plenty of bright students with parents that can afford to send their kids places like the University of Michigan. And there seems to be a gap there with no Big Ten schools in it. So, you never know.

I appreciate this post for the insight into what really matters. Sports money is a pittance compared to what comes from tuition paying out of state students. When David Boren was talking expansion and what OU needed, this is what he was talking about. They need smart, out of state students, and the limited footprint of the Big XII was hindering their "advertisement" to that wider audience. Sports is just the marketing arm for these universities. New England is the most target rich environment in the country for high school students.

Michigan already has way more appeal than OU could ever hope to have in the NorthEast. But visibility could be even better. I think it would actually help schools like Wisconsin, Purdue and Minnesota more. If UConn was in the B1G, I think several B1G schools would see increases in applications from New England, aside from whatever sports related TV benefits accrue.

Reaction Score
Mother of god, what a post. UConn's recent performance on the field has nothing to do with being in th ACC.

Jeesh.....
I never said that it did. I was simply replying to another poster who thought UConn's national championships mattered. I also was responding to someone's jealous comments about Rutgers realignment success. Clearly, if performance mattered, then they would not be in the B1G. Although, it was clearly stated that Louisville's football prowess is what got them to the ACC over UConn by FSU, GT and Clemson.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Rutgers football was better than BC. They had no heart.

There's no way we would have lost to Rutgers by 30 points like we did to BC. And unlike Rutgers, even we would have scored against most of their Big 10 opponents.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's no way we would have lost to Rutgers by 30 points like we did to BC. And unlike Rutgers, even we would have scored against most of their Big 10 opponents.
We would have lost to the little sisters of the poor by thirty. That game is probably the absolute nadir of Connecticut football.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I appreciate this post for the insight into what really matters. Sports money is a pittance compared to what comes from tuition paying out of state students. When David Boren was talking expansion and what OU needed, this is what he was talking about. They need smart, out of state students, and the limited footprint of the Big XII was hindering their "advertisement" to that wider audience. Sports is just the marketing arm for these universities. New England is the most target rich environment in the country for high school students.

Michigan already has way more appeal than OU could ever hope to have in the NorthEast. But visibility could be even better. I think it would actually help schools like Wisconsin, Purdue and Minnesota more. If UConn was in the B1G, I think several B1G schools would see increases in applications from New England, aside from whatever sports related TV benefits accrue.

Great Post, both Sea Blue and Husky Hawk. What many people who discuss this don't understand is that getting students on to campus is real reason for the sports. Michigan has a fair amount of appeal with undergrad students in the NE, but can always use more.

The interest in the NE can be seen in how many kids come from the area. Look at the student population of Michigan by state. It tells a lot of where UM is and where it might want to go. (From UM office of Undergrad Admissions Student Profile Link, as of October 2016).

Midwest
Michigan - 16,488
Illinois - 1487
Ohio - 573

North East
NY - 1635
NJ - 964
Penn - 396
Mass - 363
Conn - 356

Mid Atlantic
Maryland - 403
Virginia - 227
NC - 76

South East
Florida - 359
Georgia - 111

West
Texas - 205
Cali - 1423

There a ton of people in the NE and UConn can help deliver more. It's a priority to get and keep getting students from NY, NJ, Mass and Conn. It's why I think UConn is in play for the Big10. Michigan would love Virginia and UNC just so they can recruit those large states, but the ACC has them locked up for a foreseeable time. The best they can do is keep pushing Maryland, OSU and Michigan in the DC area. Hopefully it will trickle down into Northern Virginia.

Where they can make a huge jump is in Texas. Obviously Texas is the big fish here, but they aren't biting. Placing Oklahoma in the Big10 would put the Dallas-FT Worth market squarely in the Big10 sights. Recruiting students from that area would be a boon for Michigan and the other schools. Oklahoma would benefit by placing their brand in the Midwest and North East. National games with OSU, Michigan, PSU and Nebraska would help each school immensely.

It's all about the general student population and getting those kids to campus

Reaction Score
Why would New England students go dumpster diving at a state school like Michigan when there are plenty more of better options in their home area for the same or cheaper tuition. Going to Michigan for out of state students is expensive.

Reaction Score
15 won't work because you must have a round robin competition between the divisions. You can't have round robin divisions with three divisions of five. Unless you can come up with a way to have two equal divisions play a round robin schedule with 15 teams, it doesn't work.

BTW - The Big10 pushed to keep that rule in place.
The rule just states the championship game has to be between the top 2 teams or the division winners after round robin divisional play. There is nothing that says you have to have just 2 divisions. You could do 3 divisions and the 2 top ranked teams play in the championship game.

Reaction Score
And then we got ACC posters coming here saying we'd be the only viable #16. And no one said expansion is done. 1+1=2?

The Big Ten is looking at us even without the AAU affiliation. I know that for a fact. And here we have you saying we're staying in the AAC. Some of you are way out there.
Way out there in troll land. Lol

Reaction Score
The rule just states the championship game has to be between the top 2 teams or the division winners after round robin divisional play. There is nothing that says you have to have just 2 divisions. You could do 3 divisions and the 2 top ranked teams play in the championship game.

There actually is a clause that says 2 divisions - subparagraph 1 below. Alternatively, the top two teams from a full round-robin conference schedule (subparagraph 2) can't work for a 15 team conference because it is more games in the regular season than allowed. Your 3 division scenario doesn't work.

Conference Championship Game. One conference championship game either:
(1) Between division champions of a conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally balanced in number as possible) and conducts round-robin, regular-season competition in each division; or
(2) Between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin regular season competition among all members of the conference.

Reaction Score

See above. You can have a 15 team conference with one 8 team division and one 7 team division.

You don't need a full round robin schedule between divisions, just within each division division.

Note the subparagraph 1 wording "a conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally balanced in number as possible)"

This even number thing is an urban myth, frequently spouted. Imparnumerophobia.

Reaction Score
There actually is a clause that says 2 divisions - subparagraph 1 below. Alternatively, the top two teams from a full round-robin conference schedule (subparagraph 2) can't work for a 15 team conference because it is more games in the regular season than allowed. Your 3 division scenario doesn't work.

Conference Championship Game. One conference championship game either:
(1) Between division champions of a conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally balanced in number as possible) and conducts round-robin, regular-season competition in each division; or
(2) Between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin regular season competition among all members of the conference.
Where are you getting this language from? The official release from the NCAA reads "Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference."

I don't see where it mentions two divisions. Plus as @Zissou mentions if it does include that wording you can have 1 division of 7 and 1 of 8. Either way the point remains that the ACC could add a 15th school at any time if it wanted to. The ACC network would very easily be carried on basic cable in CT if UConn were invited...

Reaction Score
Where are you getting this language from? The official release from the NCAA reads "Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference."

I don't see where it mentions two divisions. Plus as @Zissou mentions if it does include that wording you can have 1 division of 7 and 1 of 8. Either way the point remains that the ACC could add a 15th school at any time if it wanted to. The ACC network would very easily be carried on basic cable in CT if UConn were invited...

The voices in his head told him that.

Reaction Score
5/15/17:
Dick Weiss‏ @HoopsWeiss 56m 56 minutes ago
tim brando of fox reporting notre dame in conversations to become full time acc member.

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 13m 13 minutes ago
Replying to @HoopsWeiss
Let's pump the breaks here Hoops! I've stated there have been discussions, informal yes, but it's my strong opinion it's a matter of time.

5/18/17:
Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 1h 1 hour ago
Noticed Brian Kelly told Rotary Club His Dept. "Values Independence". A statement that belies comments privately & on record in past to me.

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 1h 1 hour ago
I'll repeat one last time. There was NEVER a report by me. So ND bloggers and local television stations. I answered a ? on a radio show..ok?

Tonight:

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 22m22 minutes ago
I repeat the notion that no discussions about full membership have taken place are simply wrong. They had to take place. Context matters.

Reaction Score

How do you play a round robin between "all members of the conference" when you have 14 members?

You must either have two divisions playing round robin and their champs meet...or have all members of the conference play round robin and the top two in standings meet.

Reaction Score
How do you play a round robin between "all members of the conference" when you have 14 members?

You must either have two divisions playing round robin and their champs meet...or have all members of the conference play round robin and the top two in standings meet.
exactly

Reaction Score

Again where are you getting that language? The post above with the language straight from the NCAA says "round-robin competition in each division". "Each division" not "all members of the conference".

Reaction Score
The ONLY change in the rule was to allow a conference with fewer than 12 teams to have a CCG if they played round robin...

...the ACC did want to have multiple divisions, but the Big 12 amendment only allowed for the round robin play and CCG if fewer than 12.

The language has always stated that there must be a "round robin in each division". But it also defines that there must be two divisions.

The previous rule stated that conferences needed a minimum of 12 members to play a championship game between two division winners. The new rule will allow any conference with fewer than 12 members to hold a championship game between the top two teams in the standings as long as it plays a round-robin schedule, regardless of whether there's a divisional alignment.

Reaction Score
PLUS...Goonie....if you carefully read the language that you posted..it does say that the conference championship game must be between the division winners....

Can't have a CCG if you have more than two division champs.

the only alternate passed was a round robin conference with less than 12 members having a CCG with it's two top teams.

Reaction Score
The ONLY change in the rule was to allow a conference with fewer than 12 teams to have a CCG if they played round robin...

...the ACC did want to have multiple divisions, but the Big 12 amendment only allowed for the round robin play and CCG if fewer than 12.

The language has always stated that there must be a "round robin in each division". But it also defines that there must be two divisions.

The previous rule stated that conferences needed a minimum of 12 members to play a championship game between two division winners. The new rule will allow any conference with fewer than 12 members to hold a championship game between the top two teams in the standings as long as it plays a round-robin schedule, regardless of whether there's a divisional alignment.
Maybe I'm a lawyer in another life but all it says is "between two division winners" not that there must be only two divisions. You could have three divisions play a round-robin schedule within their division and then the top two division winners play in the championship. The top 2 are chosen using the national rankings (1 division winner will miss out on the championship game). Probably won't happen but I was just curious if it was possible. Nothing I've seen from the NCAA says otherwise.

Reaction Score
LOL....Well..I am retired....but in a past life...etc.

You must look at the rule itself...not the casual or offhand discussion of it...

The amendment that was passed...NCAA Division I Proposal 2015-81-1....

Intent: To amend Proposal No. 2015-81, to specify that to be exempted from the limit on the number of contests, a conference championship game shall be either (1) Between division champions of a conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally balanced in number as possible) and conducts round-robin, regular-season competition in each division; or (2) Between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin regular-season competition among all members of the conference.

The rule, in its amended form...

17.10.5.2 Annual Exemptions.

17.10.5.2.1 Bowl Subdivision. In bowl subdivision football, the maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

[17.10.5.2.1-(a) unchanged.]

(b) Conference Championship Game. One conference championship game either:

(2) Between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin regular-season competition among all members of the conference.

[17.10.5.2.1-(c) through 17.10.5.2.1-(h) unchanged.]

Legislative Services Database - LSDBi

Reaction Score
Well that settles it then, thanks for the link. Three divisions are not possible. 1 division with 7 schools and another with 8 seems unlikely as well due to the round-robin requirement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom