remember when they call for a UCONN donation | The Boneyard

remember when they call for a UCONN donation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IF (big IF) they don't stream the games for out-of-area alums. Don't give and tell them why via a letter to the alum association. We hold a lot of economic power. Use it!

On the other hand, if they do stream, give 'em some cash.

I have a friend who went to Amherst. They stream all of their games live at no cost to viewers.
A very small school with over 1 billion in alumni giving. When they wanted a new
football field a few years ago the president said that
current endowment funds would not be used for the stadium.
The alums raised the money in no time flat.

I now live in North Carolina in between Duke & UNC and I can tell you sports at both Duke and UNC are big fund raisers. Not from ticket sales but through alums making donations while cheering on their teams.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I bet it they don't stream, there is a clause that allows someone else to.
If there isn't, there should be.

Reaction Score
I bet it they don't stream, there is a clause that allows someone else to.
If there isn't, there should be.
I bet if they don't stream they're going to have to hire someone just to deal with our complaints. They could use 1/20 of an existing employee just to set up the streaming. But I suspect this is all moot - I expect streaming as usual.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Is it up to UConn to stream their games? Doesn't SNY own the rights?
ESPN owns all the rights to AAC sports (major ones at least) - SNY bought the rights from Uconn before the break-up of the BE but the AAC pools all their sports, unlike the old BE. So SNY had to negotiate again with ESPN.
The original SNY contract with Uconn included an requirement to provide streaming - not sure how enforceable that now is seeing as the product they initially bought is not what they now have.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I now live in North Carolina in between Duke & UNC and I can tell you sports at both Duke and UNC are big fund raisers. Not from ticket sales but through alums making donations while cheering on their teams.
Um . . . That's really the lynchpin of college athletics. It is all about the donations. In theory they finance the college athletic experience. And the side benefit is all the positive PR that "ought to" accompany your athletic program.

I'm not trying to "lecture" but I am always a bit surprised that there are not more references to "giving" on the BY. At Rutgers it used to be called "Scarlet R", at Arizona it is the "Wildcat Club". There are benefits for giving - for example, we get free parking for Football (and men's BB if we chose, both based on the level we give at - not huge either), specific give-aways (neck pillow), listing in booklet, priority for ticket purchase for special events, etc. It is a big thing at Arizona.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ESPN owns all the rights to AAC sports (major ones at least) - SNY bought the rights from Uconn before the break-up of the BE but the AAC pools all their sports, unlike the old BE. So SNY had to negotiate again with ESPN.
The original SNY contract with Uconn included an requirement to provide streaming - not sure how enforceable that now is seeing as the product they initially bought is not what they now have.
this is why I don't understand why fans are in a panic... geesh. everyone is clearing out the kinks including the basketball team. They havent even practiced yet.

streaming is all that important for them and its probably a basic flick of a switch to activate

chill...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't know how many of us on here are actually alums! I'm not :) But I did give to CPTV back in the day.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
this is why I don't understand why fans are in a panic... geesh. everyone is clearing out the kinks including the basketball team. They havent even practiced yet.

streaming is all that important for them and its probably a basic flick of a switch to activate

chill...
If streaming is a basic flick of the switch to activate that would support the argument that we should have it already and not have to wait.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
did they have it last season?

I dont know cause I have it thru my cable deal. Many are cutting cords etc. well this is part for the problem when corners are cut, cords are cut... unseen financial situations etc.

all I suggest is wait and see BUT I know some are making a stink so that the "horde" will see this and kick up some dust and the Husky Faithful will be satisfied

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
was there a game tonight?
No there was no game but I'm sure you knew that. There was no game but there was an opportunity to Stream or broadcast an Event and many people whould like to have seen.

did they have it last season?

I dont know cause I have it thru my cable deal. Many are cutting cords etc. well this is part for the problem when corners are cut, cords are cut... unseen financial situations etc.

all I suggest is wait and see BUT I know some are making a stink so that the "horde" will see this and kick up some dust and the Husky Faithful will be satisfied
First Night was Broadcast for the last two years streaming was not as critical.
Making a stink and kicking up dust is part of our Husky Fandom. I 'll end the same way you did " The Husky Faithful will be satisfied".

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No there was no game but I'm sure you knew that. There was no game but there was an opportunity to Stream or broadcast an Event and many people whould like to have seen.

First Night was Broadcast for the last two years streaming was not as critical.
Making a stink and kicking up dust is part of our Husky Fandom. I 'll end the same way you did " The Husky Faithful will be satisfied".
who did the broadcasting, ESPN... did anyone ask them wassup this year. just asking. I dont follow First Night as much these days (last one I went to was when EDD was a recruit)

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score

chill...
Its been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng summer with the girls.....just nerves....afraid of not seeing them I guess........:)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't know how many of us on here are actually alums! I'm not :) But I did give to CPTV back in the day.
Which was good. I'm a Rutgers alum (duh). When we moved to Arizona, the first thing I did was take my Rutgers donation and split it in half, and gave the same amount to Arizona. Because I like the UofA in general, and feel I am getting good sports entertainment value in everything except, ironically, women's basketball, I have increased that donation at the expense of Rutgers each year. I will continue to support Rutgers Women's Basketball at the reduced level I am now giving as long as CVS is there and will make a smaller donation as long as I can because I am an alum.

But I will support UofA because this is where I am and where I get my sports entertainment.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Which was good. I'm a Rutgers alum (duh). When we moved to Arizona, the first thing I did was take my Rutgers donation and split it in half, and gave the same amount to Arizona. Because I like the UofA in general, and feel I am getting good sports entertainment value in everything except, ironically, women's basketball, I have increased that donation at the expense of Rutgers each year. I will continue to support Rutgers Women's Basketball at the reduced level I am now giving as long as CVS is there and will make a smaller donation as long as I can because I am an alum.

But I will support UofA because this is where I am and where I get my sports entertainment.
good guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog