Regarding the BE' proposed new exit fee | The Boneyard

Regarding the BE' proposed new exit fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure Maranatto would love to raise this exit fee from 5 mil to as close as possible to the 20 mil the ACC raised it's exit fee to.
Problem for Maranatto is everyone in the world knows UConn, RU, WV, Louisville & Cinn wants to bolt to any combo of the ACC, B1G, SEC, & B-12. I'm sure USF would go along with whatever vote all the football playing schools decided.
So, with the 6 remaining football schools dying to leave the BE (7 if TCU is included) how does the 7 remaining hoops only schools expect to convince the football schools to drastically change the exit fee. I didn't include ND in the vote as they will inevitably leave the BE. Plus Nova may just upgrade to D-1 themselves. There have been reports of Nova applying to the ACC.
Bottom line, there may not be a majority vote to drastically increase the exit fee. Plus, Navy & Air Force may not wish to join the BE with all it's uncertainty...Let alone TCU.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have no special knowledge, but I imagine this is the kind of dynamic situation where there will be a LOT of phone calls behind the scenes and a lot of the players will be trying to change each other's minds.

Reaction Score
Getting the football members to sign onto something like that is probably weeks or months away. There is way too much going on for anyone to commit to that right now. If they all commit I think you know nobody has any place to go. I just can't believe that 1-4 schools aren't in serious running for a spot in the B12.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Maranatto would love to raise this exit fee from 5 mil to as close as possible to the 20 mil the ACC raised it's exit fee to.
Problem for Maranatto is everyone in the world knows UConn, RU, WV, Louisville & Cinn wants to bolt to any combo of the ACC, B1G, SEC, & B-12. I'm sure USF would go along with whatever vote all the football playing schools decided.
So, with the 6 remaining football schools dying to leave the BE (7 if TCU is included) how does the 7 remaining hoops only schools expect to convince the football schools to drastically change the exit fee. I didn't include ND in the vote as they will inevitably leave the BE. Plus Nova may just upgrade to D-1 themselves. There have been reports of Nova applying to the ACC.
Bottom line, there may not be a majority vote to drastically increase the exit fee. Plus, Navy & Air Force may not wish to join the BE with all it's uncertainty...Let alone TCU.

Here's what one blog (Leather Helmet) says WVA is going through to get out of the B.E:

And in Charleston a team of another WVU lawyers and accounts are currently negotiating with the Big East Conference to exit that league and begin SEC play in 2012. The price will be steep. The Big East wants 150% of revenues paid to WVU in 2010 and 2011 plus the $5 million exit fee. That’s somewhere in the neighborhood of $21-$25 million dollars. Greater than the exit fee the ACC hopes keeps its league intact.​
WVU will try and negotiate that down to somewhere near the $12-15 range, but it will pay whatever it takes to get out.​
The SEC has already done a wonderful thing for WVU. Potential membership has healed the wounds inflicted by the Rich Rodriguez/Bill Stewart/Dana Holgorsen coaching drama. Old money and new are lining up to pay that exit fee and WVU could pay thrice the Big East’s asking price if necessary​
For those who still doubt WVU is a viable candidate connsider this – WVU has a perennial top-15 football program and a basketball program to match. WVU is one of only a handful of athletic programs in the country that is both self-funded and profitable - All on a budget of approximately $65 million per year.​

Reaction Score
Here's what one blog (Leather Helmet) says WVA is going through to get out of the B.E:

And in Charleston a team of another WVU lawyers and accounts are currently negotiating with the Big East Conference to exit that league and begin SEC play in 2012. The price will be steep. The Big East wants 150% of revenues paid to WVU in 2010 and 2011 plus the $5 million exit fee. That’s somewhere in the neighborhood of $21-$25 million dollars. Greater than the exit fee the ACC hopes keeps its league intact.​
WVU will try and negotiate that down to somewhere near the $12-15 range, but it will pay whatever it takes to get out.​
The SEC has already done a wonderful thing for WVU. Potential membership has healed the wounds inflicted by the Rich Rodriguez/Bill Stewart/Dana Holgorsen coaching drama. Old money and new are lining up to pay that exit fee and WVU could pay thrice the Big East’s asking price if necessary​
For those who still doubt WVU is a viable candidate connsider this – WVU has a perennial top-15 football program and a basketball program to match. WVU is one of only a handful of athletic programs in the country that is both self-funded and profitable - All on a budget of approximately $65 million per year.​

The academic side contributed $5, 700,000 to WV revenues in 2010. Including those, WV athletics had a $5,400,000 profit. Crunching the numbers, WV had a $300k loss on revenues of $62 million.

I hadn't realized WV joined the SEC. The fact that the BE is retroactively demanding money from WV is amusing, especially since the $10 million in revenues a year mainly comes from football. sdo the basketball schools have no right to that cash regardless. As I said, that post is highly amusing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
so the SEC is hot for WVU because?

1) they bring a large TV market and thus increased revenues? no
2) the SEC needs to strengthen it's football program? no
3) the SEC has no better options? no
4) the SEC is desperate? no

I'm calling BS

Reaction Score

It really is time to split once all the dust settles. Even under the best of outcomes, the BE is finished. You can't have 2 seperate groups of teams with different needs and objectives. We tried that and all it did was expose the conference to plundering by the ACC. The conference is too big and spread out to garner loyalty from its members.
I'd much prefer that Villanova upgrade and join us in the ACC rather than Rutgers (maybe because I got to pay for 4 years of tuition at Nova). Well I guess it doesn't matter what anybody wants because we haven't been invited anywhere.

Reaction Score
Marinatto should have thought of this before losing Syracuse and Pitt. That horse has left the barn. Why would any football playing school in their right mind agree to an increase when there is nothing to stay for.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Herbst has two brain cells she will sign it and fax it back as soon as she gets it. Unless she wants to play in the CAA North.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

The SEC has already done a wonderful thing for WVU. Old money and new are lining up to pay that exit fee​

When will someone tell them about Missouri.​

I am your Father Luke

Bevo20Horiz.jpg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If Herbst has two brain cells she will sign it and fax it back as soon as she gets it. Unless she wants to play in the CAA North.

So when WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, and/or Cincy don't sign it, and don't agree to it, and it thereby doesn't have ANY footing, what's the point?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So when WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, and/or Cincy don't sign it, and don't agree to it, and it thereby doesn't have ANY footing, what's the point?

Your position is that UConn should give up and accept its lot in CUSA East or MAC East or CAA North. I get it. I think UConn should keep trying to end up in a BCS league. We disagree on this.

Reaction Score
Your position is that UConn should give up and accept its lot in CUSA East or MAC East or CAA North. I get it. I think UConn should keep trying to end up in a BCS league. We disagree on this.

If you said the opposite of what you're saying, you'd be 99.9% right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No it obviously wasn't. When you make rediculous stuff up and then refute it, it just kills any discussion on the board. It isn't an effective debate technique and more importantly it is just boring.

Time to go lobby for the ignore button on the suggestions page.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
CL82: You beat me to it - time to get an ignore for this dude. It's getting really frustrating coming to this board looking for honest discussion to find 'muntz' always misrepresenting opinions, then refuting the misrepresented opinion.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL82: You beat me to it - time to get an ignore for this dude. It's getting really frustrating coming to this board looking for honest discussion to find 'muntz' always misrepresenting opinions, then refuting the misrepresented opinion.
Apparently it is on the way.

Link

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No it obviously wasn't. When you make rediculous stuff up and then refute it, it just kills any discussion on the board. It isn't an effective debate technique and more importantly it is just boring.

Time to go lobby for the ignore button on the suggestions page.

What is your plan? Keep working the ACC? Check. Throw a few calls into the Big 10? Check. All done already. What else would you like to do?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What is your plan? Keep working the ACC? Check. Throw a few calls into the Big 10? Check. All done already. What else would you like to do?

I think people are getting weary of seeing you acting like Eeyore every time they open a thread.

CL82

Reaction Score
My plan is to lobby for an ignore button....so far, so good.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Your position is that UConn should give up and accept its lot in CUSA East or MAC East or CAA North. I get it.

When WVU, Louisville, Cinci join other leagues -- what the hell is the difference between the Big East and the MAC East???? Are Temple and ECU going somewhere? What is the urgency in pledging our allegiance to this dogshit league?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When WVU, Louisville, Cinci join other leagues -- what the hell is the difference between the Big East and the MAC East???? Are Temple and ECU going somewhere? What is the urgency in pledging our allegiance to this dogdarn league?

Hopefully, pledging allegiance will keep those other schools from leaving. We have to at least try, even if we think it is a lost cause. Instead, UConn seems to be pushing those other schools out the door.

If you subscribe to the theory that Herbst is this brilliant puppetmaster that is deliberately destroying the Big East to force Notre Dame to make a decision, then I see why you would support her actions so far. Cause I can't explain them.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Hopefully, pledging allegiance will keep those other schools from leaving. We have to at least try, even if we think it is a lost cause. Instead, UConn seems to be pushing those other schools out the door.

If you subscribe to the theory that Herbst is this brilliant puppetmaster that is deliberately destroying the Big East to force Notre Dame to make a decision, then I see why you would support her actions so far. Cause I can't explain them.

Where I don't subscribe to the Herbst puppet master theory, I just don't see anything preventing schools from leaving at this point. The whole thing is a disaster.

Reaction Score
Nelson, your position seems to be that all of the other schools have come out and publicly said, "we would love to commit to the Big East but we will not do so until UConn does." Fact of the matter is every school left in this conference is in full stab vest mode right now with their heads on a swivel, cause you never know where the next dagger is going to come from. You seem to be implying that it is UConn that should first pledge allegiance to the conference and that the others will then follow. I just don't see this, and where was Marinatto's leadership in upping exit fees and keeping the conference together prior to Pitt/SU bolting?

If the Big East stays together he has to go. The FB schools should insist upon it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson, your position seems to be that all of the other schools have come out and publicly said, "we would love to commit to the Big East but we will not do so until UConn does." Fact of the matter is every school left in this conference is in full stab vest mode right now with their heads on a swivel, cause you never know where the next dagger is going to come from. You seem to be implying that it is UConn that should first pledge allegiance to the conference and that the others will then follow. I just don't see this, and where was Marinatto's leadership in upping exit fees and keeping the conference together prior to Pitt/SU bolting?

If the Big East stays together he has to go. The FB schools should insist upon it.

You can twist my words to support whatever argument you want to make. I know for sure that UConn publicly disparaging the Big East by so openly pursuing an ACC invitation does nothing to help and signals to the other schools that UConn is not even prepared to try and hold the league together, which sends the message to Navy and potential conference television partners that they should write off the Big East.

Using the lack of trust between conference members to justify UConn's behavior is a circular argument at best. The reaction this time around was very different from 2003, and will result in a significantly worse outcome for the teams as a whole.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Musical interlude time:

I'm just a Marrionette (or Marinnato)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members