Redskins | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
When they say 'keep the nickname from being used' not sure what that would entail? How often do you hear the opposing name of a team in a stadium? Telling people that cant say the name during a pre or post game presser? More to come I am sure.

MINNEAPOLIS -- The University of Minnesota says it is working with the Minnesota Vikings to keep the Washington Redskins' nickname from being used when the two teams play on campus in November.

University president Eric Kaler gave the assurances in a letter to U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, a Democrat who has said use of the name would violate school policies on equity and diversity.

The Vikings are playing home games at TCF Bank Stadium the next two seasons while their new stadium is being built.

Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press. Bagley told the Washington Post the team hasn't made any decision on the issue.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has been adamant he won't change his team's nickname despite pressure from Native American groups and politicians in Washington.

He told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this week that he feels that the team's name is a term of honor and respect and not disrespectful to Native Americans. His full interview with ESPN will air on an "Outside the Lines" special on Sept. 2 on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. ET.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When they say 'keep the nickname from being used' not sure what that would entail? How often do you hear the opposing name of a team in a stadium? Telling people that cant say the name during a pre or post game presser? More to come I am sure.

MINNEAPOLIS -- The University of Minnesota says it is working with the Minnesota Vikings to keep the Washington Redskins' nickname from being used when the two teams play on campus in November.

University president Eric Kaler gave the assurances in a letter to U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, a Democrat who has said use of the name would violate school policies on equity and diversity.

The Vikings are playing home games at TCF Bank Stadium the next two seasons while their new stadium is being built.

Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press. Bagley told the Washington Post the team hasn't made any decision on the issue.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has been adamant he won't change his team's nickname despite pressure from Native American groups and politicians in Washington.

He told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this week that he feels that the team's name is a term of honor and respect and not disrespectful to Native Americans. His full interview with ESPN will air on an "Outside the Lines" special on Sept. 2 on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. ET.

Explicitly forbidding the name would violate the 1st amendment of the United States Constitution. Would it not?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Official request from University of Minnesota to the Washington Football team and to the Vikings -

Washington to don throwback uniforms with the R on the helmet.
Vikings to not sell Washington apparel or paraphernalia at the stadium.
That the team’s name not be mentioned by the public address announcer.
That the team’s name not appear on the scoreboard at the stadium.
That the team’s name be omitted from the program and other materials relating to the game.

I wonder the response from Snyder will be?!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-washington-to-wear-throwbacks-on-november-2/

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree with Kornheiser. If they want to keep the name they should change their logo to a potato.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I agree with Kornheiser. If they want to keep the name they should change their logo to a potato.
I've never heard that one. I'll have to remember it. I'll write it down. That's great!!! :rolleyes:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
"Nearly three-fourths of Americans favor letting the Washington Redskins keep their nickname, but the percentage who think it should be changed has tripled in the past two decades, according to a poll conducted by Langer Research for "Outside the Lines."

"Politically, however, 89 percent of Republicans and 88 percent of people who consider themselves conservative say the team should keep its name, compared to just 58 percent for Democrats and 53 percent for liberals, according to the poll. In terms of political leanings, 83 percent of Republicans see no disrespect in the Redskins name. That drops to 68 percent of independents and 57 percent of Democrats."

Small sample size but there is not the uproar some would think about this.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-poll-most-favor-keeping-name-dissent-growing

Reaction Score
If we could get the Redskins to change their name, it would mark the official end to racism in America, and that would be a good thing.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If we could get the Redskins to change their name, it would mark the official end to racism in America, and that would be a good thing.
Irony (and non-truths) exist on so many levels in that statement.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
OTL last night spent an hour on this -
Interesting takes on both sides. Chris Cooley (former TE) and Bob Costas on together with differenet view points.

Short version was Bob Costas stated that every dictionary he has consulted has Redskins defined as a slur. Chris Cooley stated for him to be able to speak about it he needed to do research and that he visited MANY Indian tribes/reservations and concluded that many more are not against the usage as a team name and consider it an honor.

I havent looked but curious if the definition in the dictionary has or has not changed over the 77 years the team has been named this.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm was listening to the BS Report last week and Bill Simmons mentioned a while ago that he was joining Peter King and will not mention the mascot name for Washington D.C.'s professional football team. I have nothing against Simmons (though I tend not not listen or read during the winter because I don't follow the NBA close enough to withstand 12,000 words on Makhtar N'Diaye , who has been 6 years retired from Basketball, let alone the NBA), but if you say you are no longer going to use the name, then make a conscious effort. Don't consistently use the mascot name in your podcast and have it bleeped out in post production.

Just more hypocrisy by people where 1) it's not their turn to be offended or 2) choose to be offended for others.

Reaction Score
I'm was listening to the BS Report last week and Bill Simmons mentioned a while ago that he was joining Peter King and will not mention the mascot name for Washington D.C.'s professional football team. I have nothing against Simmons (though I tend not not listen or read during the winter because I don't follow the NBA close enough to withstand 12,000 words on Makhtar N'Diaye , who has been 6 years retired from Basketball, let alone the NBA), but if you say you are no longer going to use the name, then make a conscious effort. Don't consistently use the mascot name in your podcast and have it bleeped out in post production.

Just more hypocrisy by people where 1) it's not their turn to be offended or 2) choose to be offended for others.

As a fellow Skins fan, LET THE KIRK COUSINS ERA BEGIN!!!!!!!!! I've seen enough of RG3.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As a fellow Skins fan, LET THE KIRK COUSINS ERA BEGIN!!!!!!!!! I've seen enough of RG3.
To be fair, The Jaguars are not the stiffest of opponents, so I want to see how the next few weeks play out, but it certainly didn't help perception that Cousins throw a TD pass on his second play from scrimmage. They are at Philly next weekend, home to the Giants 3 days later, and home to Seattle a week and a half after that (MNF). I think they will beat the Giants so I don't it will tell us anything. Seattle will obviously be a tough out, but let's see how they in Philly and how they play vs. Seattle. I don't like how their schedule shaped up this year.

Reaction Score
To be fair, The Jaguars are not the stiffest of opponents, so I want to see how the next few weeks play out, but it certainly didn't help perception that Cousins throw a TD pass on his second play from scrimmage. They are at Philly next weekend, home to the Giants 3 days later, and home to Seattle a week and a half after that (MNF). I think they will beat the Giants so I don't it will tell us anything. Seattle will obviously be a tough out, but let's see how they in Philly and how they play vs. Seattle. I don't like how their schedule shaped up this year.

It has more to do with my belief that A) Griffin isn't all that good and B) he is a china doll that makes Fred Taylor look like Cal Ripken Jr.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The president of the Navajo Nation is sitting in Dan Snyders box at Arizona game...

Reaction Score
Daniel Snyder is ridiculous, some seriously gross pandering today.

Reaction Score
Glad I originally posted this in the Michigan AD thread...

Can't we just let Native Americans decide if they find the term offensive, act accordingly, and move on. The aggravating part about this whole thing are non Native Americans acting like their opinion matters.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Um this thread makes the usual football discussion here look good. Yikes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Right this second, if you told me that I could have an 9-4 season and a handful of 300-yd passing games, I'd let them change our nickname from Huskies to Lesbian Puppy Kickers.

Not sure how that relates to the Redskin issue, but I'm just putting it out there.

Reaction Score
Right this second, if you told me that I could have an 9-4 season and a handful of 300-yd passing games, I'd let them change our nickname from Huskies to Lesbian Puppy Kickers.

Not sure how that relates to the Redskin issue, but I'm just putting it out there.

Oh, the possibilities are endless.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have no problem with using native american tribes as mascots, but the term "Redskins" is so offensive that I am not sure why there is still a debate on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom