Recruits who should you play for?????? | The Boneyard

Recruits who should you play for??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If your watching the NCAA tournament there should be no question. If you want to experience greatness well there is only One Number One. Hey UConn may not win every National Championship but they have won a lot more then any other 2 teams combined. Looking at Stewie Morgan and MoJeff as freshman and looking at them today well there is no comparison with how they've grown and more importantly how much their confidence has grown. You can see if off the court too just listen to their interviews. I know they are the top players out of high school. There are other top players out of high school who don't resemble our Big 3. You think theyre great because they were tops out of high school. Ok them look at Stef Dolsen, and Bria Hartley. How bout Katie Lou in just her freshman year. Now look at all the other top players coming out of high school. For me there is no question when it comes to Greatness. Geno provides the system for you to become successful in basketball and in life. Look at the former UConn players who are All Americans, Olympians and professional BB players not only in the WNBA but all over the world. Geno has a system to make you a great BB player with a class of personal growth because its not what you are its what you become as a person when you play for his program.

I know each kid has a dream. That dream could be playing for your local state college, or a coach that appeals to them or maybe even a team with a past history. Some kids feel allegiance to stay close to home. However if you want to do something special in your life. If you want to be molded into the type of person that people love well Geno has the program for you.

We UConn fans have experienced a reality that is almost impossible to describe over the past few years. Its kinda been that way since 1995. Geno has built a dynasty. This year his team has reached a peak which WCBB may not see for quiet sometime. But you can bet on this. Geno isn't finished building and winning NCs. He still has records to break and new records to set and if your looking for a place to play you can become a part of it .

Reaction Score
If your watching the NCAA tournament there should be no question. If you want to experience greatness well there is only One Number One. Hey UConn may not win every National Championship but they have won a lot more then any other 2 teams combined. Looking at Stewie Morgan and MoJeff as freshman and looking at them today well there is no comparison with how they've grown and more importantly how much their confidence has grown. You can see if off the court too just listen to their interviews. I know they are the top players out of high school. There are other top players out of high school who don't resemble our Big 3. You think theyre great because they were tops out of high school. Ok them look at Stef Dolsen, and Bria Hartley. How bout Katie Lou in just her freshman year. Now look at all the other top players coming out of high school. For me there is no question when it comes to Greatness. Geno provides the system for you to become successful in basketball and in life. Look at the former UConn players who are All Americans, Olympians and professional BB players not only in the WNBA but all over the world. Geno has a system to make you a great BB player with a class of personal growth because its not what you are its what you become as a person when you play for his program.

I know each kid has a dream. That dream could be playing for your local state college, or a coach that appeals to them or maybe even a team with a past history. Some kids feel allegiance to stay close to home. However if you want to do something special in your life. If you want to be molded into the type of person that people love well Geno has the program for you.

We UConn fans have experienced a reality that is almost impossible to describe over the past few years. Its kinda been that way since 1995. Geno has built a dynasty. This year his team has reached a peak which WCBB may not see for quiet sometime. But you can bet on this. Geno isn't finished building and winning NCs. He still has records to break and new records to set and if your looking for a place to play you can become a part of it .

Reaction Score
I look at it this way...sometimes for a recruit, it comes down to choosing between the Marines or the Merchant Marines type basketball program. Both are fine, outstanding organizations. Only a select few choose to become one of "The Few. The Proud. The Huskies." The women on the team all seem to have that innate esprit de corps that has that Parris Island flavor written all over it. I'd bet that the drill instructors...err, I mean coaches, have something to do with that. When they complete their four year tour of duty (in one case I'm hoping it's five!), they will be amazed at how they have grown in confidence to face even more challenges after graduation. And we have been blessed to be able to observe these transformations over the years.

HGN

Reaction Score

And TonyC , don't forget the Academic piece...........Recruits can also get a top quality education at The University of Connecticut. UIConn offers degrees in most any field a recruit may desire and has a reputation of graduating its players....on time. So if Geno and UConn are showing interest in a recruit , any recruit , UConn must know and feel that that particular recruit has that special talent on and off the court.

Reaction Score
If your watching the NCAA tournament there should be no question. If you want to experience greatness well there is only One Number One. Hey UConn may not win every National Championship but they have won a lot more then any other 2 teams combined. .
Truth in advertising: hasn't UConn currently (!) won precisely "just" the same as two teams combined (UTenn plus either LT, SC, Baylor, or Stanford)?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

As usual Tonyc, well said. You were spot on in your reference to a recruit choosing a program because "its close to home, or because she wants to play with her friends". THAT depends on what her future goals and aspirations are.

Geno does have an unparalleled track record in winning nation championships, graduating his players, and turning out numerous players that go on to play professional basketball. It was mentioned during a recent television game broadcast that Geno has more national championships that ALL of the current active coaches COMBINED. In addition to being taught the principles and nuances of the game, his players are ALL taught life lessons by Chris Daley and staff, that will serve them the rest of their lives.

Storrs is not the most scenic or enchanting place to matriculate to, but sometimes we must sacrifice and endure minor inconveniences (step out of our "comfort zone") to achieve that ultimate prize or goal.

UConn is not for everyone, we know that. The location, the coach may not be to their liking.
Not everyone is willing to put personal desires aside, especially 18 year old girls that have their own visions of what basketball nirvana should look like. Or, that have parents who insist on having a say in where they commit.

You have to want to be the best. You have to want to be taught by one of the best, and be willing to do whatever you have to do whatever you have to do to be the best.

How convenient would it have been for Texas resident Moriah Jefferson to commit to Baylor so that she could have been close to home, or Texas A&M so she could played with her long time childhood friend Jordan Jones? But she didn't.

She chose to step outside of the box (and her comfort zone) and go to a program that would mold her into a mature intelligent young lady as well as becoming the nation's premier point guard. The fact that she won few national championships along the way were cherries on top.

She has been to the white house 3 times, and as also received national acclaim as winner of the Nancy Lieberman award (WCBB's best point guard). A award she will probably win again this year.
She will be a highly coveted top first round pick in next month's WNBA draft.

As a side note (but very important), she'll be graduating on time in May. Its obvious that her decision to come to Storrs paid off, BIG TIME!!! Her parents (and UConn Nation) could not be prouder of her and her accomplishments over the past 4 years.

Hopefully other young recruits will look at her accomplishments and want to emulate her success, be at UConn or else where.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course Mo (and Stewie) are graduating on time. They basically majored in college basketball. Let's be real, they weren't going to be pre-med, nor were they ever going to have a terribly rigorous academic schedule.

Reaction Score
Let's be real, they weren't going to be pre-med, nor were they ever going to have a terribly rigorous academic schedule.
Do you know that as a fact? I don't kid myself that any D-1 athlete with an incredibly rigorous schedule (weights in the morning, practice in the afternoon) is necessarily also an academic heavyweight as well. And, a lot of courses that are offered in the afternoon are, alas, not possible for these athletes. Nevertheless, I know from personal experience that many take interesting and challenging courses, exploring different parts of the curriculum. Let's not prejudge, because that contributes to the widespread sense among non-athletes that those who represent them on the field or court are just "dumb jocks."

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I look at it this way...sometimes for a recruit, it comes down to choosing between the Marines or the Merchant Marines type basketball program. Both are fine, outstanding organizations. Only a select few choose to become one of "The Few. The Proud. The Huskies." The women on the team all seem to have that innate esprit de corps that has that Parris Island flavor written all over it. I'd bet that the drill instructors...err, I mean coaches, have something to do with that. When they complete their four year tour of duty (in one case I'm hoping it's five!), they will be amazed at how they have grown in confidence to face even more challenges after graduation. And we have been blessed to be able to observe these transformations over the years.
I served in the US Army FT Bragg NC Finance and Accounting Office.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The stereotyping of college students on this board is neither useful or inclusively accurate. I have a DI athlete-son who majored in math and economics. I guess I can't change biased cognition here, but it seems worth a try. At least a little respect for the person and the overall college experience might be in order.

Reaction Score
The other view, if you want to get a championship ring, consider this: from Freshman class 1991 on, assuming you stayed a full 4 years, all UConn women's basketball team members has at least one ring, with the exception of class 1995 and 2004.

Reaction Score
The other view, if you want to get a championship ring, consider this: from Freshman class 1991 on, assuming you stayed a full 4 years, all UConn women's basketball team members has at least one ring, with the exception of class 1995 and 2004.
Quite the observation!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Of course Mo (and Stewie) are graduating on time. They basically majored in college basketball. Let's be real, they weren't going to be pre-med, nor were they ever going to have a terribly rigorous academic schedule.
I find this post to be very ignorant and offensive. Ignorant because you have no idea what Mo and Stewie's major is/was and offensive because you know darn well that basketball is not a major at UCONN. Mo & Stewie will graduate from UCONN not UNC show some respect for that accomplishment.

Reaction Score
I find this post to be very ignorant and offensive. Ignorant because you have no idea what Mo and Stewie's major is/was and offensive because you know darn well that basketball is not a major at UCONN. Mo & Stewie will graduate from UCONN not UNC show some respect for that accomplishment.
Stewie and Mo are majoring in individualized studies. Take from that what you will. I'm sure we all had that one friend that had that same "major," so there's no need to beat around the bush as to what that really means or entails. They also do summer classes solely for the purpose of easing their academic load during their athletic season often times carrying just enough credits to be considered a full time student. I'm not saying they have it as easy as UNC student-athletes that don't even have to show up for class, but I'm also not disillusioned into what even our beloved UConn WCBB players are up to. For the best players, even in WCBB, the student part of student-athlete sometimes barely applies. I'm one that believes that student-athletes shouldn't get special privileges and accommodations that would not be extended to ordinary students (UConn is an institution of higher learning and not a basketball training camp after all), but we all know what collegiate athletics has turned into.

Reaction Score
IME, "individualized" majors are what you make of them. Some do great things with it and others string together a bunch of courses, collect enough credits, and graduate. And this is far from exclusive to athletes! Some athletes ( I think Stewie and Mo) see their future in sports - playing and then coaching or related. So they may choose to have a sports related major. Others have definite interests outside of sports or (like Morgan) see the value in a particular field and degree.
I worry a bit about marginal players that don't really have a strong interest in coaching choosing a sports major without enough consideration of its value. But as long as it is done honestly, that is between the student and their parents and academic advisors.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stewie and Mo are majoring in individualized studies. Take from that what you will. I'm sure we all had that one friend that had that same "major," so there's no need to beat around the bush as to what that really means or entails. They also do summer classes solely for the purpose of easing their academic load during their athletic season often times carrying just enough credits to be considered a full time student. I'm not saying they have it as easy as UNC student-athletes that don't even have to show up for class, but I'm also not disillusioned into what even our beloved UConn WCBB players are up to. For the best players, even in WCBB, the student part of student-athlete sometimes barely applies. I'm one that believes that student-athletes shouldn't get special privileges and accommodations that would not be extended to ordinary students (UConn is an institution of higher learning and not a basketball training camp after all), but we all know what collegiate athletics has turned into.
You are being intentionally ignorant, overgeneralizing, and factually incorrect.

"The vast majority of them (Student Athletes) graduate. More graduate than the students who aren’t student-athletes. So I believe strongly, and more importantly, the evidence demonstrates that indeed they are students."

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...resident-student-athletes-graduate-more-ofte/

Google can be your friend unless you are determined to remain ignorant.

Reaction Score
Jeez, I dunno. Where I teach, to do individualized studies you have to submit a plan of specific study, and there's no hint that it's in any way easier (or for that matter, harder) than a prescribed major. Really, in the colleges and universities I know, with the possible exception of Columbia's (in)famous General Studies (though my information may be out of date), these types of programs are designed to create a personal approach, but not necessarily easier or harder. (Tom Brady did General Studies at Michigan, and my Michigan friends assure me that it's not a bit less demanding than the regular curriculum.) As to doing summer work to lighten the semester load, it's true that a great number of D-1 athletes do this (again, weights in the morning, practice in the afternoon make a full load difficult during the semester; and they can't take afternoon classes which might be requirements for them), but so do a great number of non-athletes. That's precisely how the now vast number of summer schools (a real money-maker for universities which are trying to maximize use of their facilities year round) fill their classes. Sorry, HoopsFan21, I just don't see athletes as getting an advantage in either way you say. I DO see them getting advantages by access to special tutors and academic advisors. Also getting cut greater slack for absence due to travel to games. But a fair number of non-athletes have learned to advocate for similar or equivalent resources. And I think anyone who can survive 2 hrs of practice/day with Geno gets a pretty remarkable education.

Reaction Score
I've gotten old loving these kids. Started following in 1995, who couldn't fall in love with that team, that group of awesome, fearless kids. And it has been the ride of my life ever since. Will appreciate this year more than any other. Tough year personally losing my dad and once again these kids inspire and bring joy to our lives that I will never forget.

Honestly, to UCONN Women's Basketball, thank you for everything.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Think it all boils down to priorities.
Bonnie Samuelson was pre-med at Stanford so obviously she made it work. OTOH Lou chose UConn so obviously had different priorities and ambitions. Every one is different.

Reaction Score
Think it all boils down to priorities.
Bonnie Samuelson was pre-med at Stanford so obviously she made it work. OTOH Lou chose UConn so obviously had different priorities and ambitions. Every one is different.
With all do respect, and not wanting to sound contrary, I don't understand why one might think that Lou necessarily had different priorities. Stanford grads go to med school and UConn students go to med school. I know you're writing this in the spirit of harmony, and I agree with that. But I don't think we know what anyone's professional or intellectual ambition is because of the institution one chooses to attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom