Recruiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
someone said drummond at gampel tonite

perfect: field test "Prospective Signee Survey" used to determine PotentiaL if recruit claims to be UCONN fan as in 2 case studies that ended well with JAdam , SEnoch.

big andre claimed to be UCONN fan while still in high school so he could give meaningful feedback and at same time tune up his history aptitudes for when he returns to complete his degree

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I've seen a few people on here upset with our recruiting. On one hand I do think our recruiting isn't up there with the Dukes, the Kentucky's, the UNC's and all those blue bloods but we still do a fine job. 2 top 100 recruits coming in (five star and a four star) and likely landing 2 more recruits (Brown, Stone, or a transfer).

Where I do think UConn still lags in WHO we have recruit. Guards love playing for Ollie and this system and he's a family man who played in the NBA and knows what it takes to make it and stay in the league but I think this staff needs to hire an alum like Rip or Ray Allen to help with recruiting and help seal the deal.

Might be a bit unrealistic and unlikely but I don't know I just think having a big name guy like that helping out would be huge for us in recruiting.

Reaction Score
I jumped the gun, that's for sure. KO and co. have done a fantastic job of late. KO is still relatively new the recruiting game and is doing an amazing job.

Also, I was a bit new to recruiting and all that at the time, hiring a coach like Rip or Ray is obviously unrealistic.

I was wrong. This staff has what it takes. We've gotten our #1 guy every year and they have done a nice job of filling in the rest of the puzzle pieces with the other recruits each year - especially with the recent tear KO is on. My guess is that is what you were looking to hear by quoting a post I made 6 months ago.

EDIT: for the record, in my second post of the thread I stated, "Just food for thought. I still think we recruit pretty damn well, just saying." I've learned over the past few months it's about AAU connections, and not necessarily big name guys, that make a huge impact in recruiting. But as a current UConn student, one who camps out for games, waits in line for hours, and goes to every single home game, I certainly am not pessimistic whatsoever in regards to this staff and this team moving forward like many others on here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I jumped the gun, that's for sure. KO and co. have done a fantastic job of late. KO is still relatively new the recruiting game and is doing an amazing job.

Also, I was a bit new to recruiting and all that at the time, hiring a coach like Rip or Ray is obviously unrealistic.

I was wrong. This staff has what it takes. We've gotten our #1 guy every year and they have done a nice job of filling in the rest of the puzzle pieces with the other recruits each year - especially with the recent tear KO is on. My guess is that is what you were looking to hear by quoting a post I made 6 months ago.

I think there were many who were "worried" but it was going to take some time. My thought was after the APR debacle we lost kids/parents for a while but the NC in '14 would bring the Husky name back to where it belong. problem was most kids for that next year and even last year/this year were already looking in other directions so they made some late pushes but lost. Things are shaping up it would seem so maybe that pattern is working and their hard work is paying off who knows. You weren't the only one for sure good news is we're smiling in Huskyland and that's what counts.

Reaction Score
I had doubt also but said 16 was going to be a make or break year for KO. So far he is passing it with flying colors. Of course I didn't expect the late 15 transfers either. KO is knocking it out of the park now!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
As was clear all along, we were handicapped by the combination of conference instability and recruiting restrictions in terms of manpower and hours on the road. That limited us in our ability to go "down the list," so-to-speak, and really compete for our No. 3, 4, 5 etc priority recruits.

At the same time, KO has been able to lock up his No. 1 target for three straight classes (Hamilton, Adams, Gilbert). So it's clear that he has been able close on guys when we've been in it from Day 1.

The good news is that the 2016 class is the first in which we've really been on these kids from early on without the cloud of uncertainty or handicap of restrictions, and the 2017 class will be even moreso.

I expect our recruiting to keep improving. Each class under Ollie has been better than the one before it.

Reaction Score
I've seen a few people on here upset with our recruiting. On one hand I do think our recruiting isn't up there with the Dukes, the Kentucky's, the UNC's and all those blue bloods but we still do a fine job. 2 top 100 recruits coming in (five star and a four star) and likely landing 2 more recruits (Brown, Stone, or a transfer).

Where I do think UConn still lags in WHO we have recruit. Guards love playing for Ollie and this system and he's a family man who played in the NBA and knows what it takes to make it and stay in the league but I think this staff needs to hire an alum like Rip or Ray Allen to help with recruiting and help seal the deal.

Might be a bit unrealistic and unlikely but I don't know I just think having a big name guy like that helping out would be huge for us in recruiting.
We are recruiting as well as we ever have and I think we are on the cusp of a serious run. Ollie has a plan and great things are happening, Ray Allen as a coach isn't a part of it.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, fans of other schools, who shall remain nameless, continue to look at our "dump of a conference" as the single reason no recruit would EVER want to play in Storrs again.

They just don't get.

Reaction Score
I had doubt also but said 16 was going to be a make or break year for KO. So far he is passing it with flying colors. Of course I didn't expect the late 15 transfers either. KO is knocking it out of the park now!

i'm glad he's been up to your standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer