Recruiting Target (?) Tori McCoy | The Boneyard

Recruiting Target (?) Tori McCoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
An update on the 6'4" post from East-central Illinois, who was or is a potential UConn player of interest. Her team from Champaign's St. Thomas More is on their way to state finals after defeating undermanned Riverton 74-35. From what I could see, she has D1 potential but like all freshmen will be a project. She isn't frail, and with college conditioning, she could be somewhat of a Stef-like player. She seems to move smoothly and has good hands. Her upper body strength appears to be ahead of her age. Stef-like? Yeah, I know, that might be a bit much to hope for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's isn't much like Stef from what I've seen of her. Stef has great touch around the basket and has the best post moves in the country. Tory is more of a power player. Very strong and athletic. Extremely active rebounder. I don't think she has as good touch as Stef, but she is more athletic. She's very similar to Rashanda Gray from Cali IMO.

Reaction Score
A #2 with height? Love to see our system work on her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tori McCoy won the MVP of the Suwanee Tournament of Champions a few days ago. Here are some highlights:

The one thing that worries me is that she seems a bit injury prone. She played with a sore knee the last couple games of this tourney.

Reaction Score
Hoping they go after Lauren Cox. Katie Lou Samuelson, Natalie Butler and Lauren Cox would be an incredibly imposing front court. That would lessen the loss of Bre.

Reaction Score
Hoping they go after Lauren Cox. Katie Lou Samuelson, Natalie Butler and Lauren Cox would be an incredibly imposing front court. That would lessen the loss of Bre.
UConn is recruiting Cox but IMHO there is ZERO chance of getting her out of Texas.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UConn is recruiting Cox but IMHO there is ZERO chance of getting her out of Texas.
Agreed. ETT has posted to have heard that and I have several sources who say she's not leaving the state for college.

McCoy on the other hand is intriguing. She's much more athletic and mobile than Stef and a far better ball handler at the same age. She routinely brings the ball up the court, or starts her drive to the basket from outside the 3 point line. I've seen her use both hands around the basket and honestly, I have no idea why she was left off the U16 team. I'd love to get her...

Reaction Score
Agreed. ETT has posted to have heard that and I have several sources who say she's not leaving the state for college.

Yeah, like when Alana Beard was never going to leave Louisiana - remember that BS?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah, like when Alana Beard was never going to leave Louisiana - remember that BS?
No I don't, and I'm not sure what that has to do with Cox, but thanks for your scintillating contribution! ;)

G

genosguy

An update on the 6'4" post from East-central Illinois, who was or is a potential UConn player of interest. Her team from Champaign's St. Thomas More is on their way to state finals after defeating undermanned Riverton 74-35. From what I could see, she has D1 potential but like all freshmen will be a project. She isn't frail, and with college conditioning, she could be somewhat of a Stef-like player. She seems to move smoothly and has good hands. Her upper body strength appears to be ahead of her age. Stef-like? Yeah, I know, that might be a bit much to hope for.

G

genosguy

If she is as much like Ms Dolson then she is for us. Steff Dolson wasn't as much of a project as you imply. Remember Moore?? She could hardly tie her shoes--but she became good (not great in 5 years). Stef was thrown to the wolves in her Freshman year--2nd game of her College life she went up against the tallest, most mobile , lithe WBB player I've ever seen and played her tough. No one repeat NO ONE could have done better or as well. She proved herself in her 2nd, 3rd, 4th years. She was soo good, soo nice Geno cried thinking of what he was losing. Now is that a great coach or what???

Reaction Score

McCoy on the other hand is intriguing. She's much more athletic and mobile than Stef and a far better ball handler at the same age. She routinely brings the ball up the court, or starts her drive to the basket from outside the 3 point line. I've seen her use both hands around the basket and honestly, I have no idea why she was left off the U16 team. I'd love to get her...
Well, I have been hoping we get McCoy for a while. She's very gifted. As far as Cox goes (if not UConn), I hope she goes to Texas so I can see her play regularly!

Reaction Score
Why don't we get her address and send her a letter once a week?

Reaction Score
No I don't, and I'm not sure what that has to do with Cox, but thanks for your scintillating contribution! ;)

Back around 1999-2000, CD and a Tennessee scout watched the scintillating Alana Beard in a tournament somewhere in the Deep South and were so credulous as to simply accept the word of someone also at the tournament that Beard would not leave the state, instead of probing the claim a little more. As a result UConn never contacted Beard.

Geno was not pleased when he found out about it too late, and later suggested to Pat Summitt that the two scouts should have been fired for their abject failure.

Now do you understand?

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Back around 1999-2000, CD and a Tennessee scout watched the scintillating Alana Beard in a tournament somewhere in the Deep South and were so credulous as to simply accept the word of someone also at the tournament that Beard would not leave the state, instead of probing the claim a little more. As a result UConn never contacted Beard.

Geno was not pleased when he found out about it too late, and later suggested to Pat Summitt that the two scouts should have been fired for their abject failure.

Now do you understand?
Oh, I know the story, but the difference is that Geno and CD are recruiting Cox. I'm not saying they shouldn't, just that it's very unlikely she leaves the state. Fortunately Geno is casting a wide net and McCoy would be a terrific "consolation" prize!!

Reaction Score
Oh, I know the story, but the difference is that Geno and CD are recruiting Cox. I'm not saying they shouldn't, just that it's very unlikely she leaves the state. Fortunately Geno is casting a wide net and McCoy would be a terrific "consolation" prize!!
I'm having trouble reconciling Cox not leaving the State with Geno and CD recruiting her. Would they really be wasting their time and money if it was very unlikely that she leave the State ? TL

Reaction Score
I'm having trouble reconciling Cox not leaving the State with Geno and CD recruiting her. Would they really be wasting their time and money if it was very unlikely that she leave the State ? TL
I guess for the same reason why they kept recruiting A'ja Wilson when It was rumored for months that she was going to a school close to home. Why did Stanford keep recruiting Katie Lou when it was rumored that she wasn't going to go there? You do it because you might be able to change their mind.

Lauren Cox is the oldest of four atlethic girls (sisters age are 13,11 and 9) so there's a chance if UConn could get a Cox if they miss out on LC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom