Recruit Lexi Gussert from Fuller article | The Boneyard

Recruit Lexi Gussert from Fuller article

Status
Not open for further replies.

sTu

Reaction Score
A video of a 32 point half. A couple of nice passes mixed in with the shooting.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Easy to see why UConn is interested. She has a diverse game at the high school level, comfortable inside and out, very good range, nice passing skills, solid crossover, can shoot with both hands, clearly a leader on the floor, with the cherry on top being that she has a nice, marketable look (and yes, that matters).

She'll need to bulk up and become accustomed to doing everything faster than she does now. She was clearly a woman among girls in that video, but as long as she can adjust to the speed and athleticism of her opponents at the college level, she'll be a very nice player for someone. It'd be nice if it were UConn.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
She showed a very useful spin move and pull-up at 1:04......nice.

I'll have to watch the rest at home - too choppy on 3G

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As Fuller said in his blog, a local TV station reported that Gussert had narrowed her list of schools and the list didn't include UConn. The reported list included IL, MSU, Marquette, Purdue and Tennessee. Apparently that report was not accurate as Fuller reports UConn is "very much involved" with her.

Reaction Score
She looks good on the video. However, she is playing in Class D, which might be a notch, or two below a D1 top 10 teams.

Lets see what she can do vs the the top players in AAU.

U

UCONNfan1

Seems similar to Ekmark? Calhoun is also about 6' tall, but a super athletic. Not sure what the staff is lookin at at/for, but Ekmark, Gussert and Calhoun seem similar...

Reaction Score
You cannot play faster than your team. You have to develop a rhythm for the game. High school will never be as fast as college, which will never be as fast as the pros. That has to do with skill level and knowledge of the game. Do you really think Geno cares about her "nice, marketable look"? He could care less. What he wants are basketball players not models. Let's face it D and Stewie aren't going to be on the cover of Vogue modeling clothes. Who cares. They are two of the most determined players that UConn has ever had. That's all that matters!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
et's face it D and Stewie aren't going to be on the cover of Vogue modeling clothes.
Well you are correct about D (DT I assume) for sure, we know when she's in the magazines, it's without clothes. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You cannot play faster than your team. You have to develop a rhythm for the game. High school will never be as fast as college, which will never be as fast as the pros. That has to do with skill level and knowledge of the game. Do you really think Geno cares about her "nice, marketable look"? He could care less. What he wants are basketball players not models. Let's face it D and Stewie aren't going to be on the cover of Vogue modeling clothes. Who cares. They are two of the most determined players that UConn has ever had. That's all that matters!
You are mistaken, and I'm not going to argue about it. It's noticeable at Uconn relative to other programs, and it's not a coincidence. Does Uconn sacrifice image for talent? No. Is Uconn an image-conscious program? Absolutely.

And when you are playing one on one basketball, you absolutely can go as fast as you want. She'll need to go faster, and she'll need to release faster. No one said she couldn't. It's just an adjustment.

Reaction Score
Seems similar to Ekmark? Calhoun is also about 6' tall, but a super athletic. Not sure what the staff is looking at at/for, but Ekmark, Gussert and Calhoun seem similar...

Outside of being a similar height they're not really similar at all.

U

UCONNfan1

Outside of being a similar height they're not really similar at all.
Ekmark's game is similar to Gussert's. Calhoun is more athletic. Probably more a forward type as her outside shooting is not as strong but she's more athletic.

Reactions: HGN

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw the video earlier and may have noted it. I too like the versatility--ball handling and a variety of shots. I agree that she seems like Ekmark. Do we want multiple players who are similar? At first thought, maybe not. But if they are good--and if other needs are addressed--why not!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
You are mistaken, and I'm not going to argue about it. It's noticeable at Uconn relative to other programs, and it's not a coincidence. Does Uconn sacrifice image for talent? No. Is Uconn an image-conscious program? Absolutely..

So, players are picked for their looks and talents.... really. If you're going to make such a silly statement, identify players who were UConn fits that were NOT invited to join because they didn't "look" right.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, players are picked for their looks and talents.... really. If you're going to make such a silly statement, identify players who were UConn fits that were NOT invited to join because they didn't "look" right.
I wouldn't call it a beauty contest, but, for example, a kid with the tats that Seimone Augustus now has might not get as much attention from UConn as a comparable kid with no tats. I couldn't see a Dennis Rodman type playing for Geno and CD.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If we end up with Ekmark, Westbeld and Gussert, I believe we'd be required by NCAA regulations to call ourselves "Villanova".
I do believe that Nova led the Big East in blonde ponytails. :)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You are mistaken, and I'm not going to argue about it. It's noticeable at Uconn relative to other programs, and it's not a coincidence. Does Uconn sacrifice image for talent? No. Is Uconn an image-conscious program? Absolutely.

And when you are playing one on one basketball, you absolutely can go as fast as you want. She'll need to go faster, and she'll need to release faster. No one said she couldn't. It's just an adjustment.
UConn did score big with 5 of the top 20 Hottest Female Basketball Players on a guy's list (Riley Schmitt) that somehow left out beach volleyball wonder Kelly Schumacher (women's VB players are by definition hot), but I think it's also fair to say that Sue Bird's gorgeous passes and Swin Cash's gorgeous putbacks were the reason they got an invite to UConn and not necessarily some prescient thoughts back in 1998 that they would make some guy's list of 20 Hottest Female Basketball Players. And no one has more gorgeous brows than Stewie or more statuesque bun than DT.

Reaction Score
If we end up with Ekmark, Westbeld and Gussert, I believe we'd be required by NCAA regulations to call ourselves "Villanova".
Do we then call the head coach Harry?

Reaction Score
I think when Courtney Ekmark gets to UCONN you will see her separate herself from the other Frosh. I don't think anyone thought Kelly Faris was real athletic at first. Well it turned out that she was the MOST athletic player on the team. I am not comparing the 2 of them. Courtney has already played with and against kids playing at the Div 1 level. She is one of the best long range shooters in bball. She also has developed a killer pull up and floater game. She is also one of the best tennis players in the state, No 1 on her team ! She says she plays tennis to cross-train and to stay in shape.
If she does not start as a Frosh, I believe she will get starter's minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog