Recently Watched Movies 2024 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2024

Reaction Score
Argylle (2024) The first 20 minutes are awesome. It is clever, stylish and action packed. The rest of the movie is awful. Just repeating itself over and over. The stuff with the parents is terrible. Lot's of bad overdone nonsense. And somehow over the course of the movie Bryce Howard seems to gain 30 pounds - really. Amazingly, Henry Cavill comes off pretty well. He is the most entertaining thing in the film. Skip this film. One star and his name is Cavill.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Argylle (2024) The first 20 minutes are awesome. It is clever, stylish and action packed. The rest of the movie is awful. Just repeating itself over and over. The stuff with the parents is terrible. Lot's of bad overdone nonsense. And somehow over the course of the movie Bryce Howard seems to gain 30 pounds - really. Amazingly, Henry Cavill comes off pretty well. He is the most entertaining thing in the film. Skip this film. One star and his name is Cavill.
I've been waffling on this one. I was disappointed to hear Cavill and Dua Lipa are barely on screen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Self Reliance (2024)

I think this movie is already been talked about on the board so I'll keep it short. Jake Johnson is living life in a rut when Andy Samberg comes up to him and offers him the chance to play a game where people will try to kill him for 30 days, but if he survives he gets $1 million. His big advantage is that they can't kill him as long as he's with another person. if you like Jake Johnson, you'll like this movie. It's quirky and funny. Anna Kendrick is in it for a bit as well as Christopher Lloyd, obviously Andy Samberg Wayne Brady for a bit. Well worth a watch.

(For what it's worth, this movie kind of reminded me of another Jake Johnson film Ride the Eagle, which isn't quite as good but is also worth a watch.)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Redemption. Jason Statham, 2013. There is a little fighting and he’s ex special forces gut named Joey. But in this he’s homeless at first after going AWAL. He meets a Polish Nun Cristina in London, helping those on the streets. They both have demons in their past. There is some depth to this one. People struggling to reconcile who they are, who they were and who they want to be. I thought it was pretty good. Surprised I’d never heard of it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think I'd intended to watch it quite a while ago, but never did. Just finished "Bottle Shock." Interesting movie. Good cast. Dramatization about the shocking California vs. French wine blind taste test in 1976.
(Un)ironically, this was a DVD option at the Bed & Breakfast that we stayed at in Napa Valley. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than 2012, The other DVD we watched during our stay.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
(Un)ironically, this was a DVD option at the Bed & Breakfast that we stayed at in Napa Valley. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than 2012, The other DVD we watched during our stay.
Did you get to Chateau Montelena? It produced the winning wine in that 1976 taste test. Wife and I were there 20 years ago and that history is all they talk about.

fwiw, it didn't seem Rickman had to stretch too much to portray a wine snob. Might also be the only movie where I've found Chris Pine watchable.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Was it at Prager winery and port works by chance? Love that place. A hidden gem.

I like the movie. Knew about the famous tasting but they made the whole thing seem a lot more fun than I imagined. @storrsroars I've been to Montelena back in the 90s, good wines, gorgeous winery, but yeah, come on, it was a long time ago even then.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's also kind of ironic that the shoe ended up on the other foot. Eventually you had California wine snobs, and the world was shocked when Washington and Oregon started producing some high quality wines.

Reaction Score
I think I'd intended to watch it quite a while ago, but never did. Just finished "Bottle Shock." Interesting movie. Good cast. Dramatization about the shocking California vs. French wine blind taste test in 1976.

Bottle Shock
is a good little film. Alan Rickman, Chris Pine, Bill Pullman. They spent the money on cast and shot it very simply. It reminds of the way that Clint Eastwood directs. Very straight forward, the story is put first and the cinematography is well done but plain and simple. Not self indulgent at all. Very light and fun film. Close to three stars.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Alan Rickman, Chris Pine, Bill Pullman. They spent the money on cast
Some nice turns in supporting roles as well. I though Eliza Dushku in particular shined in a limited amount of screen time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Devotion (2023) - An entertaining war movie set in Korea. Navy pilot bonding. Pretty decent flying action scenes.

Jonathan Majors is really good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Greatest Night in Pop - Netflix

A documentary featuring Lionel Ritchie in the making of the song “We are the World”.

Tremendous. If you’re not a fan of this you’re either under 30 or dead.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

A documentary featuring Lionel Ritchie in the making of the song “We are the World”.

Tremendous. If you’re not a fan of this you’re either under 30 or dead.
Better than I expected. There was tension due to the time frame of only having one night. It actually got more interesting toward the end, when Stevie Wonder (I would've punched him at that point), Lauper, and Dylan had issues were not things I was aware of. I was impressed with how MJ handled himself throughout. Very professional.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll watch pretty much any garbage that features Jason Statham. I thought I'd seen pretty much everything, but saw "Revolver" pop up on Netflix and I'd never heard of it. It's not Statham kicking ass and taking names. It's very strange, paranoical, and made little sense to me, so I did a search on it and turned up an article from Psychology Today that detailed what was going on. Then it made sense. But without that explanation, I was lost. One could look at it as Guy Ritchie's answer to Fight Club, even though the premises are completely different.

Reaction Score
Better than I expected. There was tension due to the time frame of only having one night. It actually got more interesting toward the end, when Stevie Wonder (I would've punched him at that point), Lauper, and Dylan had issues were not things I was aware of. I was impressed with how MJ handled himself throughout. Very professional.
I loved it. Gave me a completely new admiration for the industry and how guys like Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie worked. And to see people like Bob Dylan and Huey Lewis nervous but deliver was super cool. Well worth the watch.

Reaction Score
Barbie (2023) - I watched it on the plane ride home from FL. My daughter and a good female friend had begged me to see it. Wow. What a pile of hot garbage. I cannot believe that movie made as much money as it did.

And don’t give me the “you didn’t get the point”. I’m a former sociology major and I was well aware of the points being driven into my dumb male forehead with a sledgehammer. I just wasn’t entertained at ALL at ANY point.

Reaction Score
I loved it. Gave me a completely new admiration for the industry and how guys like Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie worked. And to see people like Bob Dylan and Huey Lewis nervous but deliver was super cool. Well worth the watch.
Agreed. A few things that I discovered were: how long it takes to complete, that the final version of the solos compared with what was shown in documentary were “cleaned up by sound crew”, Steve Perry can fricken sing, Cindy L too (although it would be hard to have a conversation with her and not think I’m in a comic strip), Dione W is a superstar, Bette M didn’t have a solo, Waylon Jennings was there, and Prince is a jerk.

Glad it didn’t go into a drug theme and for the most part egos were checked at the door.

Maybe UConn should play the song at halftime for a game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. A few things that I discovered were: how long it takes to complete, that the final version of the solos compared with what was shown in documentary were “cleaned up by sound crew”, Steve Perry can fricken sing, Cindy L too (although it would be hard to have a conversation with her and not think I’m in a comic strip), Dione W is a superstar, Bette M didn’t have a solo, Waylon Jennings was there, and Prince is a jerk.

Glad it didn’t go into a drug theme and for the most part egos were checked at the door.

Maybe UConn should play the song at halftime for a game.
I also giggled at how wasted Al Jarreau was and how bad he sounded. Lots of cringing in the room at that point. LOL

Reaction Score

Really enjoyed this documentary about the production of “We Are the World”.

After watching, I really appreciate Lionel Richie more and hearing Michael Jackson’s isolated vocal takes was incredible. I witnessed a sweet, genuine Michael in this documentary. Also, mad props to Quincy Jones.

Highly recommend, even for someone not into music.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mr. Jones (2019). A bit of an unexpected gem really. James Norton is the lead as Gareth Jones, a British foreign advisor turned journalist. Having recently interviewed Hitler he sets his sights on interviewing Stalin and heads to Moscow. This is based on a true story. The USSR doesn't permit much in the way of foreign press, and what does come out is essentially scripted to make them, and communism, look good. Jones stumbles into some disturbing things, then takes some bigger chances and discovers the staggering scope of Stalin's famine in the Ukraine, the "Holodomor". Vanessa Kirby is good (and lovely) as a journalist stationed in Moscow for the NY Times. There's a connection to George Orwell and Animal Farm, evidently inspired in part by Jones, woven in.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Strays (2023) Prime. Was looking for something to kill some time with and I enjoy dog movies, so clicked on this. I don't believe I'd be exaggerating if I said this was the most foul, disgusting, tasteless dog movie ever made. It also has a few belly laughs if one is capable of being entertained by foul, disgusting, and tasteless humor. I wouldn't watch it again, nor would I recommend it, but I will say that if you occasionally find the need or desire for 90 minutes of juvenile poop and sex jokes, you might find this enjoyable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lost City of D.

Saw this when it first came out but never got around to watching it because it kind of gave me a "Miss Congeniality II" vibes. It borrows heavily from "Romancing the Stone". You know shut in female romance novel writer end up going out in the world and having an adventure. I am not kidding though they ripped off quite a few parts. The lead character is dressed inappropriately in heels. They drive a very small car through the jungle while being shot at. They have a little paw in the middle of the movie where they stop in at a village so the female lead can change into a regional dress so that she can have a dance scene with the male lead.

Sandra Bullock is fine in the lead role. Interestingly Channing Tatum is doing a Jonah Hill impression for the whole movie. I couldn't help but think that it would've been so much better if they just gave that role to Jonah Hill. Brad Pitt really steals the show with his very brief part. Overall, it's not a great movie but it's entertaining enough if there's nothing better on.

Reaction Score
Lost City of D.

Saw this when it first came out but never got around to watching it because it kind of gave me a "Miss Congeniality II" vibes. It borrows heavily from "Romancing the Stone". You know shut in female romance novel writer end up going out in the world and having an adventure. I am not kidding though they ripped off quite a few parts. The lead character is dressed inappropriately in heels. They drive a very small car through the jungle while being shot at. They have a little paw in the middle of the movie where they stop in at a village so the female lead can change into a regional dress so that she can have a dance scene with the male lead.

Sandra Bullock is fine in the lead role. Interestingly Channing Tatum is doing a Jonah Hill impression for the whole movie. I couldn't help but think that it would've been so much better if they just gave that role to Jonah Hill. Brad Pitt really steals the show with his very brief part. Overall, it's not a great movie but it's entertaining enough if there's nothing better on.

Not a great movie, but certainly okay and it does provide some entertainment.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Saltburn. Stars Barry Keoghan and Charlie Quick, Jacob Elordi (looking very much like a Movie Star at 6'5") as Felix Catton. with multiple supporting roles. So I read that this was twisted, funny and bothered some people. I didn't find it funny at all and what bothered me was the unrealistic characterizations. Charlie and Felix are at Oxford. Felix is the most popular person there, men or women. He's handsome, rich, royal in some way and somewhat charming. Charlie is a dork. Charlie is a bit obsessed with Felix and ultimately becomes his friend. Felix invites Charlie to stay his house, Saltburn, for the summer. Much ensues and there ends the spoilers.

My main issue is that these people are viewed as not all that sharp and easily manipulated by young Charlie. I don't buy it. When I watch Jason Bourne, I know nobody can physically do what he can, but at least his reaction to amnesia and to the German girl who helps him, and her reaction to him, seems genuine. None of the people in Saltburn seem genuine to me. It feels like a poor attempt at class warfare - the rich are handed their money but are stupid and undeserving. So it pretty much flops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom