Recently Watched Movies 2023 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2023

Reaction Score
Watched this on Netflix over the weekend. Not great, but engaging enough and quite unsettling at times. The book, which I read a couple of years ago, was pretty good as well.

I watched it this weekend and really liked it. Great cast and great acting. Cool, weird storyline. Definitely kept me interested and engaged the entire time.

Reaction Score
Leave the world behind. I am getting hip to the Netflix production style of basically shooting a small movie and adding in 10 million dollars of special effects to make it look expensive. Somebody in finance is riding herd on these productions. Way too slow and light on action for me. It's all very well done, tight script, top talent, nice cinematography, good editing. But it was all a bit pointless and drawn out. One star.

Godzilla Minus One. Haven't seen it. Want to. It looks like someone -finally- decided after 60 year to take Godzilla serious. The trailer was promising as is reading these BY reviews.

Reaction Score
Leave the world behind. I am getting hip to the Netflix production style of basically shooting a small movie and adding in 10 million dollars of special effects to make it look expensive. Somebody in finance is riding herd on these productions. Way too slow and light on action for me. It's all very well done, tight script, top talent, nice cinematography, good editing. But it was all a bit pointless and drawn out. One star.

Godzilla Minus One. Haven't seen it. Want to. It looks like someone -finally- decided after 60 year to take Godzilla serious. The trailer was promising as is reading these BY reviews.
I just finished 'LTWB'. I love Sam Esmail's directorial style so if you enjoyed the 'Mr. Robot' series you'll love it. I thought it was superb although I can how the pacing might irk some people.

If you're looking for action I suggest the Netflix series 'Obliterated'. Don't say I didn't warn you though.

My NFLX top 5 movies:

1) 'All Quiet on the Western Front'
2) 'The Irishman'
3) 'The Pale Blue Eye'
4) 'Leave the World Behind'
5) 'The Killer'

Bonus shout out to 'Army of the Dead', which was its own special kind of chaotic awesomeness.

Reaction Score
Already reviewed but here is my further take FWIW:

Napoleon: Ridley Scott's Waterloo.

You don't need to have taken AP European History to know that the two most compelling parts of Napoleon's legacy. The invasion of Russia was a military disaster of the highest order, it's so bad that it almost eclipses Randy Edsall's second stint at UConn. His subsequent escape from exile and reforming an Army seemingly from nothing was a comeback story for the ages; then he blows it all all at Waterloo. The whole thing is stranger than fiction. The man was larger than life whose successes were balanced by some amazing failures.

Does Ridley make this movie? No. He makes a freaking love story. And it just doesn't work.

It's so bad that you can that Phoenix really has no idea how to play the role and even admitted as such. Instead he just kind of does Phoenix things. And it unintentionally becomes a comedy. Whether it's the strange way he comes onto Josephine, or his line to the British: "You think you are so great because you have so many boats!". You will dislike the movie but you will laugh two or three times and if not then you will cringe.

You have no idea why the British and the French are fighting. You have no idea why the Russians turn on Napoleon. The Battle of Austerlitz, which is probably the most stunning battlefield victory, maybe ever is reduced to a ripoff of the 1930's Alexander Nevsky.

The final battle of Waterloo has a few nice touches. The Prussian General has no idea where he is and when asked he just shouts "Officer!". The messengers on horseback were kind of cool. But you could tell the battle was fought in fake rain. You don't even really see the Old Guard getting surprised by British hidden regiments which was what the knockout punch was truly.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Such a shame about ‘Napoleon”, but not a big surprise. Every time Hollywood tackles history, it turns into a terrible romance. See “Titanic” and ‘Pearl Harbor” as two not so shining examples. ”Real” history vs “Reel” history has always been a challenge for those folks.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Finally watched a movie from the early 2000s that I was kind of curious about but just never got around to--"Don't Say A Word." Decent thriller, kept some tension, went a bit off the rails at the end like many movies of that type tend to do. Really good cast--Michael Douglas, Sean Bean, Oliver Platt, Brittany Murphy, Famke Janssen, Jennifer Esposito.

Reaction Score
Don't Worry Darling (2022) - Watched this on Netflix last night. I've heard it compared to The Stepford Wives and I think that's a pretty good comparison. Harry Styles is married to Florence Pugh and it's directed by Olivia Wilde. I went back to the 2022 post and agree Harry Styles was super weak, Florence Pugh almost carried him regardless and while I liked the last 30-40 minutes, there were a lot of plot holes.

Like.....who were the guys in red suits? Were they real? And spoiler alert....why would it impact you if you died in Victory?

Reaction Score
Don't Worry Darling (2022) - Watched this on Netflix last night. I've heard it compared to The Stepford Wives and I think that's a pretty good comparison. Harry Styles is married to Florence Pugh and it's directed by Olivia Wilde. I went back to the 2022 post and agree Harry Styles was super weak, Florence Pugh almost carried him regardless and while I liked the last 30-40 minutes, there were a lot of plot holes.

Like.....who were the guys in red suits? Were they real? And spoiler alert....why would it impact you if you died in Victory?
Think all of that is pretty much on the money. Nice try but this ain't hand grenades.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Impuratus. Stars Tom Sizemore in his last role I believe. Set in early 20th century. A police detective (Sizemore) is summoned to a mental hospital to witness a mysterious Civil War veteran's bizarre death-bed confession. The confession is read and the movie goes back to that time when it is. Supernatural thriller. It has tension and is mildly scary at times, but it meanders, and I found the ending didn't really conclude anything. The premise is interesting but it just became a bit boring.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saw Killers of the Flower Moon a few days ago. This is quite a bit better than that and it will probably get a best picture nomination.
I felt like it was miscast with DeNiro and DiCaprio. I liked the book quite a bit though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I felt like it was miscast with DeNiro and DiCaprio. I liked the book quite a bit though.
My wife loved the book. I think Scorcese just included his two favorites and fired his editor so it became a slog. He added a lot of scenes not in the book.

Reaction Score
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Long and slow. I liked a lot of the scenery and effects but after watching it over a few evenings, it didn't seem like all that great a movie. Blade Runner was so unique at the time and this version didn't seem to offer anything new. I thought it was kind of boring.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Avengers. Ralph Finnes as Mr Steed and Uma Thurman as Mrs Peel. Worse wring and Dialogue than even the Star Wars Prequels. Sean Connery is the bad guy. Uma has astonishing legs but is still no Diana Rigg. You can’t believe she’s smart. Fiennes is a good choice. But sadly the writing is just irredeemable. Truly awful film.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Bad Santa (2003) - First time seeing i in its entitirety. Pretty funny, overall. Bernie Mac as the head of security was a casting mistake.

Seeing Octavia Spencer playing a prostitute was interesting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Gran Turismo. The semi true story of a kid who played Gran Turismo video games and became a race car driver. Stars Orlando Bloom, David Harbour (who is superb) and Archie Madekwe as Jann, the driver. The actual driver, Jann Mardenborough is a consultant and stunt driver as himself. Madekwe showed some promise in See on Apple and this puts him in rising star category. The racing footage is top notch, as is the reality of the danger that comes through. Enjoyed every minute of this. Bloom is ok, but Harbour cements the whole thing. This deserved better at the box office.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bad Santa (2003) - First time seeing i in its entitirety. Pretty funny, overall. Bernie Mac as the head of security was a casting mistake.

Seeing Octavia Spencer playing a prostitute was interesting.
It should have been funnier, imo.

Reaction Score
The Holiday (2006) -

A holiday rom-com with Jude Law is a recipe for disaster, but I actually liked this movie and, get this, liked Jude Law in the movie!

Law, Kate Winslett and Jack Black were excellent.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For whatever reason, my movie watching has fallen off in recent years. I don't remember contributing to the 2022 thread. Whether it's not as much time, not a lot of movies being put out, or not anticipating enjoyment out of watching them, I'm not entirely sure. Probably a combination of the three.

I know people have strong feelings, either way, about "Sports Guy" Bill Simmons, but I enjoy listening to the Rewatchables Podcast on The Ringer. I've listens to all the episodes for movies that I've seen (Some I don't consider "rewatchable," but c'est la vie.), so now I'm trying to watch movies that have episodes for which I haven't seen, which has caused a marginal uptick in my movie viewing...provided they are on a streaming service. I've also seen a couple new releases in the theater, but literally only two.

I have not read all 21 pages so I'm sure I will repeat some.
The Flash (Theater)
Grand Turismo (Theater)
Glass Onion
The Verdict
And Justice for All
Miami Vice
Dark Knight
Creed
Creed II
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Fast 5
Top Gun: Maverick
Bohemin Rhapsody
Rocketman
This is the End
Sea of Love
Spotlight
Lost in Translation

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Rebel Moon: Part 1" out on Netflix. Looks like opinions are all over the place on this one. I enjoyed it. It could've been better, but it also could've been a lot worse. It's a visually beautiful movie. Good f/x. It's definitely got little nods to a whole bunch of other films you've seen before. What it resembles most however is Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven in terms of the general framework of the project. It's a lot of set up understandably, as there is a part two coming. I'm interested to see what comes next. Nice cast, some good performances.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The Holdovers with Paul Giamatti was excellent.
The Holdovers. Stars Paul Giamatti as a boarding school teacher stuck with the “holdovers” who have nowhere to go during the holidays. Newcomer Dominic Sessa is Angus, a student who becomes a holder. He’s full of teen angst and battles the teacher early on. Da’Vine Joy Randolph plays Mary, a cafeteria worker who recently lost her son in the Vietnam war. It’s set in late 1970 into 1971. All three learn about each other, about grief, about empathy. It’s beautifully filmed, and looks like 1970. It’s a serious movie, but is also consistently funny. Certainly one of the best films of the year and it will garner some Oscar nominations.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Rebel Moon is very good. Much better than I thought it would be and more enjoyable than recent chapters of Star Wars. IMHO.

Reaction Score
Bad Santa I liked it. Billy Bob is over the top but that's the movie.

Reaction Score
"Rebel Moon: Part 1" out on Netflix. Looks like opinions are all over the place on this one. I enjoyed it. It could've been better, but it also could've been a lot worse. It's a visually beautiful movie. Good f/x. It's definitely got little nods to a whole bunch of other films you've seen before. What it resembles most however is Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven in terms of the general framework of the project. It's a lot of set up understandably, as there is a part two coming. I'm interested to see what comes next. Nice cast, some good performances.
Rebel Moon is very uneven which is true of virtually every Zack Snyder movie. He indulges in his fight scenes way too much. And I love fighting, shooting and explosions. But the running through a hail of bullets and lasers and not getting a scratch is too much. For the most part he is a little more restrained here, until the end.

Ed Skrein is perfect as always. He seems an absolute archetype whether he is a good guy or a bad guy. That's a tough trick. I thought he was brilliant in Midway. He will have a long and wonderful career.

Yep, RM is Magnificant Seven formula movie as a space opera. You can see most of it coming from a long way away. But it is top flight movie making. Good not great acting with the exception noted, great effects, it keeps moving and is enjoyable.

Reaction Score
Gran Turismo. The semi true story of a kid who played Gran Turismo video games and became a race car driver. Stars Orlando Bloom, David Harbour (who is superb) and Archie Madekwe as Jann, the driver. The actual driver, Jann Mardenborough is a consultant and stunt driver as himself. Madekwe showed some promise in See on Apple and this puts him in rising star category. The racing footage is top notch, as is the reality of the danger that comes through. Enjoyed every minute of this. Bloom is ok, but Harbour cements the whole thing. This deserved better at the box office.

Interesting. The previews made the movie look like a joke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom