Recently Watched Movies 2021 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2021

Reaction Score
The Informant! (2009) - This corporate crime film was directed by Steven Soderbergh, and stars Matt Damon. It is based on a true story. Damon plays a guy who is rising through the ranks at his place of employment, who ends up blowing the whistle on the price fixing schemes of his company and ends up becoming an FBI informant. The story starts there, and as the FBI investigates it spirals all over the corporate crime map. To say the least, Damon’s loopy character gets more than he bargained for. It’s an entertaining film, with a fine performance by Damon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Meyerowitz Stories (Netflix, 2017) - This movie sucks. Despite a huge cast (Adam Sandler, Dustin Hoffman, Ben Stiller, Emma Thompson), it is pretentious treacle, with a dash of offensive gratuitous vulgarity. I didn't make it through the movie before turning it off. Save yourself the time and skip it. I don't get why anyone thinks Noah Baumbach is a good director. He is terrible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Matrix Resurrections. 2021. So I wasn’t sure what I’d think. I thought the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies were a mess. Not very coherent. Not much fun. So, on a night I started by smelling some Scotch I left in a glass yesterday and yes, smelling it again, it felt appropriate. Like a release from the Matrix. There is nostalgia here. For the original film, the original characters and actors. Keanu is at full John Wick hair, which, given #4 comes out soon, feels right. He’s kind of like an aging 70s hippie in the modern world. The story is actually good. The action is sufficient but doesn’t overwhelm the story. I really quite liked it and I didn’t think I would. The new characters work well, but it isn’t about them. It‘s an old worn leather jacket, that still fits.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Now I'm thinking, I hope this NASA DART mission works.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Outstanding movie. DiCaprio was great. As was Rylance. As was Blanchette. Streep was good.

One hysterical scene: Morgan and Lawrence were locked in a room while Leo was in a meeting.

J Hill: "You wanna come?"

Lawrence: "Yeah!!!"

[Hill closes door]
I read somewhere that they spent a whole day on the set with Hill improvising various and creative ways to insult her.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I read somewhere that they spent a whole day on the set with Hill improvising various and creative ways to insult her.
This came up on my phone as a News item. It was Jonah Hill Improv Day.

I thought he kind of mailed it in for this movie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This came up on my phone as a News item. It was Jonah Hill Improv Day.

I thought he kind of mailed it in for this movie.
He basically played himself. Or at least a grown up version of his character in Superbad.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Unforgivable, 2021 Netflix. Sandra Bullock plays a woman released from prison after serving a sentence for the murder of a sheriff under murky circumstances that are slowly revealed throughout the movie. She is trying to find the younger sister she left behind and having a hard time rejoining a society that rejects her because of what she has done.

It’s a dark drama/thriller with some interesting twists, and Bullock is excellent in this very unglamorous role, showing some serious range when compared to the likes of her role in The Blind Side. We watched it based on my daughter’s strong recommendation so my expectations were probably too high. It’s a decent watch with some good characters but it never really took off for me.

If the acronym that is similar to the word milk hadn't been invented, it would have needed to be invented for Ms. Bullock in The Blind Side. She was pretty good in that. I think I need to rewatch Speed. She was adorable and Keanu wasn't old or Ted.

So yeah, this is quite a different look.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If the acronym that is similar to the word milk hadn't been invented, it would have needed to be invented for Ms. Bullock in The Blind Side. She was pretty good in that. I think I need to rewatch Speed. She was adorable and Keanu wasn't old or Ted.

So yeah, this is quite a different look.

I hated Speed, and that turned me off to both her and Reeves for a very long time. But after so many people insisted I watch The Blind Side I gave in and I loved it; I've probably watched it at least a half dozen times because I will frequently stop and watch if I catch it while I am channel surfing. And yes, she is a big part of the attraction.

The Unforgivable is definitely worth a watch for the aching quality of her performance, but yeah not so much any "attraction."

I've thought about it a bit since and have a better sense of what I think they could have and should have done better, and some things they could have done without. But in general I think the some of the same themes were much better handled in "Mare of Easttown." Although they had seven hours to work with there, so perhaps not a fair comparison.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I hated Speed, and that turned me off to both her and Reeves for a very long time. But after so many people insisted I watch The Blind Side I gave in and I loved it; I've probably watched it at least a half dozen times because I will frequently stop and watch if I catch it while I am channel surfing. And yes, she is a big part of the attraction.

The Unforgivable is definitely worth a watch for the aching quality of her performance, but yeah not so much any "attraction."

I've thought about it a bit since and have a better sense of what I think they could have and should have done better, and some things they could have done without. But in general I think the some of the same themes were much better handled in "Mare of Easttown." Although they had seven hours to work with there, so perhaps not a fair comparison.

Speed was dumb, I admit. But she was just so appealing in that cute, approachable way that total knockouts are not. I'm torn on Unforgivable based on your review and the trailer. I'll keep it on the back burner list.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hated Speed, and that turned me off to both her and Reeves for a very long time. But after so many people insisted I watch The Blind Side I gave in and I loved it; I've probably watched it at least a half dozen times because I will frequently stop and watch if I catch it while I am channel surfing. And yes, she is a big part of the attraction
Speed was dumb, I admit. But she was just so appealing in that cute, approachable way that total knockouts are not.
Well, she was definitely well-toned for her age in Gravity. But have either of you watched Keanu and Sandra in "The Lake House"? Impossible plot, but a movie I've seen a few times as a guilty pleasure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speed was dumb, I admit. But she was just so appealing in that cute, approachable way that total knockouts are not. I'm torn on Unforgivable based on your review and the trailer. I'll keep it on the back burner list.
My criticisms of The Unforgivable are mostly related to things that could have been developed or explored better imo, especially the issue of her chance for redemption. It's a fascinating scenario she's in and one worthy of exploration, and there is a very interesting twist that I didn't see coming. But I thought both were given too little attention; whereas a couple other aspects of the story (especially the screwed up sons of the fallen cop) were given too much attention.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Unforgivable, 2021 Netflix. Sandra Bullock plays a woman released from prison after serving a sentence for the murder of a sheriff under murky circumstances that are slowly revealed throughout the movie. She is trying to find the younger sister she left behind and having a hard time rejoining a society that rejects her because of what she has done.

It’s a dark drama/thriller with some interesting twists, and Bullock is excellent in this very unglamorous role, showing some serious range when compared to the likes of her role in The Blind Side. We watched it based on my daughter’s strong recommendation so my expectations were probably too high. It’s a decent watch with some good characters but it never really took off for me.
Outstanding movie!!! We just watched. Bullock will get nominations for this.

Loved the final twist.

I thought J Bergdahl was great, too.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Watched "The Alpinist" yesterday and "14 Peaks" today. Both interesting seeing climbers pushing the limits of what is humanly possible. Very different in how they went about their pursuits.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Outstanding movie!!! We just watched. Bullock will get nominations for this.
I was surprised to see that she was not nominated for a Golden Globe. Usually that's a good indicator of Oscar noms. I agree that a nomination is warranted for her performance.

Here are my relatively minor issues:

How does Viola Davis go from skeptic to believer so quickly? I didn't ring true to me. I would have liked to have seen more a little more time spent on how that happened.

How did the little sister forget about shooting the sheriff so quickly? I get that she was five years old; I remember having kids that age. Again, it didn't ring true to me that a pancake breakfast somehow erased her memory instantly. And how were they eating at a diner after that transpired anyhow? And how and where did she learn to play piano?

I get that the point is that what Bullock is perceived to have done is "unforgivable," and thus her near-universal rejection by everyone; but I would have liked to have seen a little exploration of her opportunity for redemption, especially given the twist. We get a small taste of that with Viola Davis's turnaround, but again that happened in a flash and there was no real focus on that, which I think is very fertile ground to explore.

Finally, I get that the two sons of the sheriff were screwed up, but the amount of time spent on them seemed wasted--especially the scene with the wife cheating with the other brother. That was totally unnecessary and once again didn't ring true to me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yes, the Viola flip was very strange. I guess a momma knows.

Katie got serious kick back from the gun. And perhaps the trauma of foster care was not good for her mental state. And another thing...she knew how to handle a huge rifle like that and aim it at an intruder? This was my #1 'yeah right.'

Her redemption started when she approached Donofrio. She had very little opportunities for help. The parole officer was of little help.

I thought the sons got just enough rope. The cheating scene was the domino that sent that kid over the edge to give us that final scene.

Reaction Score
Watched "The Alpinist" yesterday and "14 Peaks" today. Both interesting seeing climbers pushing the limits of what is humanly possible. Very different in how they went about their pursuits.
14 peaks should have been a series, it felt too rushed at times. Like a 3 minute segment explaining climbing K2. Enjoyed the alpinist, guy almost had a death wish given the extremes he went

Reaction Score
The French Dispatch. (2021) A silly little film that I found quite dull. I once had a conversation with director James Mangold (who won an Oscar for best picture with Walk the Line). We were discussing a shot and he he said, "Nobody cares how wonderful your set is. The set is there to help you tell the story." The French Dispatch is the complete opposite. It is a movie about the sets. The actors and story are simply a vehicle used to tie the sets together. It is designed to be a visual feast. It succeeds modestly at this. That's not enough. One Star.

Reaction Score
Tick, Tick...Boom. Watched this last night and loved it. It's a musical based on Jonathan Larson's life prior to writing "Rent". Rent is my favorite musical and the music and vibe of the movie have Rent's fingerprints all over it. And Andrew Garfield really impressed me with his singing and theatric abilities.

It's a musical. It's based off Rent. If you don't like or know much about either? Don't bother. If you do? I think you'd really enjoy it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The French Dispatch. (2021) A silly little film that I found quite dull. I once had a conversation with director James Mangold (who won an Oscar for best picture with Walk the Line). We were discussing a shot and he he said, "Nobody cares how wonderful your set is. The set is there to help you tell the story." The French Dispatch is the complete opposite. It is a movie about the sets. The actors and story are simply a vehicle used to tie the sets together. It is designed to be a visual feast. It succeeds modestly at this. That's not enough. One Star.

Just saw an ad for this...Wes Anderson. That explains it. Some think he's wonderful. I think most of his movies are dreary crap. I'd say all, but I have some memory of laughing at parts of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just saw an ad for this...Wes Anderson. That explains it. Some think he's wonderful. I think most of his movies are dreary crap. I'd say all, but I have some memory of laughing at parts of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
At some point I think Bill Murray decided rather than relying on being a snarky wiseguy as his signature approach to acting he would instead become “Buster“ Keaton and keep a straight face while comic things happened around him. I feel like that started with Lost in Translation but certainly the Life Aquatic is a great early example of it as well. To me it was a decision that enhanced and extended his career.

Reaction Score
I've said it before on these threads, there is no question that Wes Anderson is my favorite director who is currently making movies. That said, I fully admit that Wes Anderson films are an acquired taste that are not for everyone, and I can certainly understand people not caring for his films. Haven't seen "The French Dispatch" yet, but hoping to get around to it either this winter or spring.

Reaction Score
I've said it before on these threads, there is no question that Wes Anderson is my favorite director who is currently making movies. That said, I fully admit that Wes Anderson films are an acquired taste that are not for everyone, and I can certainly understand people not caring for his films. Haven't seen "The French Dispatch" yet, but hoping to get around to it either this winter or spring.
I like to think I can appreciate "films" and I do really think about them in the days after I see them. I have always thought Wes Anderson tried too hard to parse out this cool little club of people that "get" his movies and snark at the rest of the world that simply doesn't find them to be all that entertaining. I think you could also say that about Tarantino to a degree as well, but I "get" those more? I don't know. I've tried to be part of the Wes Anderson thing and it just never catches fire.

Reaction Score
The Life Aquatic was similar but a much better film. Probably because there is a story driving it. The characters in Aquatic are also likeable, whereas the characters in Dispatch are cartoon cutouts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom