Reality vs fear | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reality vs fear

Reaction Score
Might as well just stay in the Big East so that way there is no fear of the ACC or Big 12 breaking apart.

Just stay independent in football. There no reason we cant become a northeastern independent power house under Mora btw.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A lot of whistling past the graveyard here. My strategy is to take it year by year.

It’s simple ignorance. And yes.

Reaction Score
Might as well just stay in the Big East so that way there is no fear of the ACC or Big 12 breaking apart.

Just stay independent in football. There no reason we cant become a northeastern independent power house under Mora btw.
So football stays on the independent island for good when everyone else is leaving independence, and we cast our entire athletic department fortunes permanently with the likes of St Johns, Seton Hall and Providence. Sounds like a plan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't say I 100% align with the original post, but what are others concerned about. Is it one of the following:
  • P4 or P2 or whatever it becomes creates their own tournament or simply muscles all the other schools out of the existing tournament?
  • Px simply has so much more money they buy all the good players
  • Px eventually buys DH

What are the other options people are concerned about?

I can't say I'm 100% aligned with the original post. I disagree with some of the tone/confidence.... but we did just win back-to-back in this "new era"... or whatever we are in. That's not nothing. And we did it with an offense that is incredibly appealing for future recruits. Us and maybe Alabama are running some of the most "NBA-like" offense in college basketball.
I am concerned about the first point. I think it's quite possible that, no matter how much money football schools make, they will be spending it on football. But if they stop competing with other conferences, ....

Reaction Score
Historically bad? Not including actual winning seasons and bowl games we won?
Please, as a UConn Alum it's still not hard to admit that UConn has been dreadful in football for a long time. Just plain horrible, for many years. There hasn't been a single season with a winning record since 2010, and only 6 winning seasons out of the last 25. That's objectively awful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please, as a UConn Alum it's still not hard to admit that UConn has been dreadful in football for a long time. Just plain horrible, for many years.
Recent alum I take it.

Reaction Score
Several things are going to happen shortly that will actually help UConn (and the Big East).

1. Big East TV negotiations are going well
2. NCAA tournament will likely expand to 72 or 76 teams

We will be fine.
What does the TV contract is "going well" mean and how does this differ from what the PAC commissioner was saying this time last year?

The only reason we heard anything contrary last year was Colorado intended to leave. No one in the Big East is going anywhere (other than the UConn AD who is jumping ship things are going so well).

Reaction Score
Recent alum I take it.
I graduated 36 years ago. The football team has had 6 winning seasons out of the past 25 seasons. Is that not dreadful? In the last 6 seasons there have been 3 or less wins in 5 of the 6. Abysmal, dreadful, horrible...pick whatever word you like to describe it...it is what it is.

Reaction Score
What does when he graduated have to do with it?

Are you disputing his statement that UConn football has been dreadful for a long time?
Gee John, maybe ask him since he mentioned he was an alum.

What's a long time in your book?

Reaction Score
While there is reason to be fearful, things have not shaken out entire. Ten years ago everyone knew Texas and Oklahoma were going to the PAC at the next opportunity.

The first likely move (in the off-chance things go as expected) will be the dissolution of the ACC. UConn should be making an effort to become a member of that rump party (ala the New Big 12). While football might not be included in the Grand Plan, a basketball conference that includes UConn, Duke, Cuse, St. Johns, Villanova, Georgetown, NC State, etc. will be hard to exclude from a tournament that arrives at a "national title" without people questioning its validity (and without another broadcaster creating a rival tourney).

While UConn should remain calm but opportunistic, mostly we should just enjoy what might be one of the great runs in college basketball history.

Reaction Score
You might as well throw Yale and Carlisle football in there as well.
Exactly John. The point is that things change and there's a recency bias in the modern world.

Reaction Score
Exactly John. The point is that things change and there's a recency bias in the modern world.
Yep, a recency bias. UConn men's basketball has won the most championships in the last 50 years.

That may be recent to you but it's not to most.

Reaction Score
Even if UConn doesn't land an all sports invite we will almost certainly get a non-Football invite somewhere. UConn basketball is huge and the fourth highest basketball generator in the nation and there is no competition in the Northeast. If our market was already saturated with big power schools I would be concerned but it obviously isn't and the area is a college sports hole (that UConn is filling)

But this is worst case scenario. UConn will still likely get a full B12 or ACC invite. How soon depends on how the ACC case progresses

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn can survive in some form I imagine as long as the players are paid via NIL.

If the schools can begin to pay the kids directly, it's hard to see how we could offer competitive packages when so far outpaced in tv money from the p4 football leagues.

Reaction Score
Yep, a recency bias. UConn men's basketball has won the most championships in the last 50 years.

That may be recent to you but it's not to most.
Now tell me how the program was perceived in the AAC days. That's recency bias John.

Reaction Score
Now tell me how the program was perceived in the AAC days. That's recency bias John.
When they won the national championship, pretty damn good. People noticed we were bad for three seasons under Ollie. Now people see us as the best basketball program in the country. Again, most titles out of anyone in the last 50 years.

Man, you're really struggling.

Reaction Score
When they won the national championship, pretty damn good. People noticed we were bad for three seasons under Ollie. Now people see us as the best basketball program in the country. Again, most titles out of anyone in the last 50 years.

Man, you're really struggling.
Actually, it's you who are struggling with the strategic picture.

Reaction Score
Even if UConn doesn't land an all sports invite we will almost certainly get a non-Football invite somewhere. UConn basketball is huge and the fourth highest basketball generator in the nation and there is no competition in the Northeast. If our market was already saturated with big power schools I would be concerned but it obviously isn't and the area is a college sports hole (that UConn is filling)

But this is worst case scenario. UConn will still likely get a full B12 or ACC invite. How soon depends on how the ACC case progresses
There is no reason why UConn football couldn’t be just as good as the BC and Syracuses of the world on an equal level playing field with the right coach which I believe Jim Mora is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom