Real expectations for 2014 Recruiting class | The Boneyard

Real expectations for 2014 Recruiting class

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huskieforlife

I think if we get the kids from Massachusetts. But don't be surprised if these are the only big recruits Ollie pulls in. Remember this his first year as a head coach, he's inexperienced at recruiting as a head coach. don't get me wrong I got 10 toes in but, when kids also ask him about his past success. Am sure kids will love to hear story's about the NBA, am a teen and if an nba vet were to tell me about the nba, I would love to hear about it and it would give me great confidence in him to get me to the next level. His big nock now is, now that he has his contract he needs to start winning. With the post season ban, I think it will be tough for him to convince kids to win when it really counts. Again I love coach Ollie and I think he has a great future for this team as a coach, and a recruiter. I just think first year expectations are way to high. 10 toes in!

Reaction Score
I think he`ll be fine. He`ll pull in a good class. will it be on uk level? no. but the talent will be enough to put uconn back among the elite fighting for a high seed in the tourney.

Reaction Score
this is heartless, but blaney needs to retire and we need a new ast with big aau connection

Reaction Score
He will get kids who want to play for a great program, a coach who is exciting in his approach and masterful at the mental and physical approach to becoming a better player. They're out there and the staff will find the right kids who fit the program and I believe eventually they will be coming to them.......will he need to win? Absolutely.......rebuild it they will come!

Reaction Score
KO is about to take off. I will be surprised if he doesn't bring in a strong class that puts us back on the recruiting radar. He is just too likable. There are only a handful of legendary coaches he has to beat out. Otherwise, he can easily compete with the rest. We should get plenty of top 100 players with KO.

Reaction Score
The biggest advantage KO has beyond the UConn brand or the NBA to me is his personality, which is very spiritual. Many inner city parents (i.e. mothers) are church goers and to send their kid hundreds of miles away is always scary. What Kevin brings is a feeling of comfort to the mothers that their kid CAN'T get out of line or stray too far.

If I had a son and he walked in my house, he would be a hit. Then you add the NBA knowledge and UConn brand its a great package. By the way who better to sell the NBA brand but him? Certainly not a coach with no ties to the school (for Ollie its legitimate/true branding). In time when he puts his own stamp on this school he will add another asset to his pitch. But for now his God fearing and God crediting ways are music to the parent's ears. Unfortunately however, its ultimately the kid who decides, and they may want to flex, fresh out of high school.

Anyway he'll do just fine, he already is getting good reviews on national TV and all the coaches seem to respect him. That helps also.

Reaction Score
The biggest advantage KO has beyond the UConn brand or the NBA to me is his personality, which is very spiritual. Many inner city parents (i.e. mothers) are church goers and to send their kid hundreds of miles away is always scary. What Kevin brings is a feeling of comfort to the mothers that their kid CAN'T get out of line or stray too far.

If I had a son and he walked in my house, he would be a hit. Then you add the NBA knowledge and UConn brand its a great package. By the way who better to sell the NBA brand but him? Certainly not a coach with no ties to the school (for Ollie its legitimate/true branding). In time when he puts his own stamp on this school he will add another asset to his pitch. But for now his God fearing and God crediting ways are music to the parent's ears. Unfortunately however, its ultimately the kid who decides, and they may want to flex, fresh out of high school.

Anyway he'll do just fine, he already is getting good reviews on national TV and all the coaches seem to respect him. That helps also.
I feel like the whole religion thing shouldn't be overbearing. I mean look at Abu, he's a Muslim. You think he wants Ollie in his house talking about Jesus?

Reaction Score
It all comes down to developing players WHILE they are at UConn. That's what put UConn over the top under Calhoun. It's also the main thing that can put Ollie over the top. It doesn't matter where you recruit. How's your eye for talent? How well do you develop that talent?

Reaction Score
I feel like the whole religion thing shouldn't be overbearing. I mean look at Abu, he's a Muslim. You think he wants Ollie in his house talking about Jesus?

I agree but a man can carry himself in a way without preaching or using the Jesus name. I think Ollie does it in that way. He to me exemplifies the old saying that "I'd rather see a sermon that hear a sermon". By the way it could be any religion, he always carries himself in a God fearing, respectable way. Many find that attractive, even without the Deity references, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom