Re-Watching the Championship Game for SDSU Tidbits | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Re-Watching the Championship Game for SDSU Tidbits

Reaction Score
Here’s the plan for SDSU. The best D this team has ever played. Anything less than that Hurley loses his mind.

Reaction Score
We really lived at the foul line here in the second half, and deservedly.

If SDSU is allowed to muck up the game it could be a problem. On the other hand, our offense is also good enough to generate wide-open looks at the rim and on the perimeter that we might not need a decent whistle to score.
That's the safety hatch. If things aren't clicking inside and outside, let Newton downshift it into that drive and score/or get fouled rhythm to prevent the other team from gaining too much momentum. Death by paper cuts.

Reaction Score
Yay confetti.

Positives:
  • Their defense is good, but didn't regularly slow us down. Our droughts were mostly from sloppy play or missing open shots. And our offense is better this year.
  • Their guards are nothing special, though Trammell is feisty and Butler has some clutch in him; Newton should be fine at both ends, and they haven't seen anyone like Castle; I expect Spencer to do Spencer things; we have to be careful about them playing passing lanes but this is manageable
  • On offense, Clingan's height is going to be a problem for them, and I'm not sure anyone can stop Johnson's verticality

Risks:
  • LeDee was like the one guy who had success against us consistently in the second half, and that was pre-All-American LeDee. And most of that was matched up against Clingan, who had 3 fouls in limited minutes
  • Some of their guys could hit a number of 3s, so it's not impossible for them to get hot and have an uncharacteristic 13-25 type of game
  • We mainly kept them at arm's length in the second half via the foul line, though it's not hard to envision a more unevenly-officiated game allowing them to clutch-and-grab their way to staying competitive, while sidelining Clingan
So who matches up with Clingan and prevents him from 10-12 first half points on layups and dunks? Is LeDee covering him and, if so, can he stay out of foul trouble too? He's fouled out in 2 of his last 6 games with 4 fouls in another.

Reaction Score
So who matches up with Clingan and prevents him from 10-12 first half points on layups and dunks? Is LeDee covering him and, if so, can he stay out of foul trouble too? He's fouled out in 2 of his last 6 games with 4 fouls in another.
If Clingan's touch is on, he's going to be tough to stop. If he's flipping balls up at the rim and missing layups, they'll just defend him straight up without fouling.

I don't see us doing a lot of stagnant post-up stuff though.

Reaction Score
If Clingan's touch is on, he's going to be tough to stop. If he's flipping balls up at the rim and missing layups, they'll just defend him straight up without fouling.

I don't see us doing a lot of stagnant post-up stuff though.
Like you said earlier. He has a significant height advantage over everyone on their roster. Looks like they top out at 6'9".

Reaction Score
Have been since they redid it?
have not been back since pre-covid. Hopefully the "backyard" is unchanged. Could do Coronas and grilled oysters all damn day.

Reaction Score
have not been back since pre-covid. Hopefully the "backyard" is unchanged. Could do Coronas and grilled oysters all damn day.
Unfortunately they don’t have the guy doing oysters outside anymore.

Reaction Score
Like you said earlier. He has a significant height advantage over everyone on their roster. Looks like they top out at 6'9".
Sure, but that doesn't mean he can consistently score over those guys, especially in post-up scenarios. In fact, he's often been pretty limited in those force-feeding cases. He's best receiving a pass while rolling to the rim, or on an alley-oop.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately they don’t have the guy doing oysters outside anymore.
best job ever. my dream retirement job in fact, if driving the Uconn bus doesn't become available.

Reaction Score
For me this game, same with the previous two, comes down to two things really:
1. Can DC and SJ, particularly the former, stay out of foul trouble
2. Is the other team going to have their season best shooting night from 3

If the answer to the first question is yes, and the answer to the second is no, we'll be fine. If not, things can get interesting fast

Reaction Score
this was a good convo with a former SDSU coach who was on the staff last year, talking about the offense last year vs this year and other things

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Last year, I watched that game on a bench outside in Sarasota because my mother in law made the mistake of speaking during the opening minutes.

This year, we rented the same place and we’re here now. The mother in law is not around, but I will watch from that same bench.

UConn is 2-0 in tournament games against San Diego State that I have watched from a bench in some place called Ashton Lagoon or something dumb like that. Also, my mother in law stopped by, so she’s also 2-0 in games where she has convinced me to go watch the game on a park bench merely with her presence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom