Re-Watching the Championship Game for SDSU Tidbits | The Boneyard

Re-Watching the Championship Game for SDSU Tidbits

Reaction Score
Consider this my personal game chat as I re-watch the championship game last year and make observations that might be relevant to tomorrow.

The first is that Trammel is an itty-bitty guy, but had the assignment on Newton. He drew a BS charge (should have been an and-1) on a Newton drive. I expect Dutcher to match up that way again. How that's called will be interesting.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, LeDee actually came off the bench. Clingan came in shortly after he did and SDSU's first possession after that timeout they went into LeDee in the high post, whom Clingan effectively walled off and drew a 3-second call.

LeDee is a better player this year, but that's a good omen and suggests Clingan may already have a plan based on experience.

Reaction Score
Comment on Parrish -- "that's his game, he hunts shots" as he fires up and misses a 3. His percentages aren't great this year, but maybe not a guy you want to concede open looks to.

Reaction Score
Our offense is actually more fluid this year, especially compared to when we would dump it into Sanogo and let him go to work.

Second LeDee-Clingan matchup, LeDee is forced into a tough 10-foot turnaround jumper, which misses.

Reaction Score
On the other end, Clingan posts up LeDee, but is stood up and Clingan kicks it out for an open 3, which misses. I would actually be surprised if we run a lot of post-ups this time.

Big play where Calcaterra catches LeDee in between and throws an alley-oop to Clingan.

Reaction Score
LeDee tries to take Clingan off the dribble but loses it.

I know he's a vastly improved player this year, but he did not win this matchup at all in the first half so far.

Reaction Score
Our offense is actually more fluid this year, especially compared to when we would dump it into Sanogo and let him go to work.

I feel like this was the turning point last season. Instead of predictably forcing the ball into Adama dozens of times per game, we started running the offense through Hawk and Newton. It opened up so much more for AS down low when it happened.

Reaction Score
I just re-watched. We had quite a few turnovers. DC and AK have improved significantly, and TN makes smarter plays now. Our offense is much crisper and more complex than last year. Haas didn’t play and Samson only a minute at the end. We are really quite different personnel wise, and SDSU has lost a lot of scoring. I would be surprised if we don’t win by as much as last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Last year, I watched that game on a bench outside in Sarasota because my mother in law made the mistake of speaking during the opening minutes.

This year, we rented the same place and we’re here now. The mother in law is not around, but I will watch from that same bench.

Reaction Score
Last year, I watched that game on a bench outside in Sarasota because my mother in law made the mistake of speaking during the opening minutes.

This year, we rented the same place and we’re here now. The mother in law is not around, but I will watch from that same bench.
Welcome to Srq

Reaction Score
Trammel gets a floater in the lane off of a curl, followed by Newton taking Trammel into the lane and just muscling through him for a short pull-up. I expect Newton to be even more in control if that's the matchup we get.

Reaction Score
Trammel misses a 3, followed by Newton putting in a deep one over his hand in transition.

Reaction Score
Butler hit a couple of 3s early coming off of the game-winner 2 days earlier. He's a guy who could get hot despite so-so numbers.

Now Trammel takes one away from Newton when not paying attention on a pass, though Newton effectively contests the layup and forces a miss.

Reaction Score
Ledee averaged 7 points a game last year and came off the bench. This year he averages almost 22 pts a game and is an all-american candidate. He's a much better player this year and is now the focal point. I think Clingan will be fine as long as he stays out of foul trouble. That is my major concern. Play smart, especially if he picks up an early foul.

Reaction Score
Clingan erases a sneaky backdoor play on an in-bounds pass lol

Karaban struggled a bit with the physicality. Might be something to watch tomorrow.

Reaction Score
We got a little sloppy and a bit unlucky before halftime and should have been up by 20.

Trammel pretty easily stopped by Newton. I have a hard time seeing them make any hay off of dribble-drives by their guards.

Edit: he did make the pull-up 18 footer before halftime, but good luck winning a game on that shot for 40 minutes

Reaction Score
Trammel gets stuck again this time driving on Jackson. He is going to continue having problems getting into the lane against our bigger guards.

Edit: I take that back, he does take Newton a couple of times in a few minutes, but only results in a miss once and a foul.

Reaction Score
SDSU stayed in it in the early 2nd on a number of odd bounces for offensive rebounds and broken plays.

Newton draws a foul on Trammell taking him to the rim.

Reaction Score
We really lived at the foul line here in the second half, and deservedly.

If SDSU is allowed to muck up the game it could be a problem. On the other hand, our offense is also good enough to generate wide-open looks at the rim and on the perimeter that we might not need a decent whistle to score.

Reaction Score
Consider this my personal game chat as I re-watch the championship game last year and make observations that might be relevant to tomorrow.

The first is that Trammel is an itty-bitty guy, but had the assignment on Newton. He drew a BS charge (should have been an and-1) on a Newton drive. I expect Dutcher to match up that way again. How that's called will be interesting.
I expect Trammell on Spencer, actually. He's shorter and less athletic and last year Newton was the shortest (same height as Hawkins)/worst athlete of our guards. I expect Lamont Butler on Newton this year (he's our All American after all).

But it could be swapped. Some teams have been prioritizing Spencer over Newton despite Newton generally getting more accolades, so Butler could get Spencer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom