Ray Dunaway reports UConn to AAU inside a year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ray Dunaway reports UConn to AAU inside a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Too simplistic. There's funding for the facilities and equipment that makes obtaining research funding a near shoe-in and allows curve fitting grant appropriations to the Institutes as a high=percentage pass through. Michigan States cyclotron was one such example. Albany's nano-tech investment is a more current one.

But that has nothing to do with the AAU. For instance, Albany got $14 billion in government and private grants for Nanotech. $14 billion!!!!!!!!!! Are they AAU? No. Yes, I know, there is lobbyist pork available in the form of research grants. Many schools take advantage of it. Some like Cincy and USF in our own conference.

And yet these schools are not in the AAU. Why? Because their grants are pipelined through the lobbying process. Not peer-reviewed. Heck, if these were ever considered, a school like PSU which is basically a wing of the Department of Defense would have a totally different stature.

Reaction Score
While I only heard about a half hour of the show this morning, I did not hear him say that. They were talking about State employees with high retirement payouts and a couple of UConn professors came up. The guest may have been from the Yankee Institute. I believe Ray said the he thinks the AAU might be UConn's end goal. He did not give any sort of timetable or "done deal" while I was listening.

pj

Reaction Score
Smooth enough to have this board thinking we are going to stay in the A-12, whatever it'll be called.

Why does Herbst want us thinking we'll be in the A-12?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When do we get to the point where all of us admit that we barely know what the AAU is, let alone what their plans are or how they operate?

If you guys are ready, I'm there.

Reaction Score
When do we get to the point where all of us admit that we barely know what the AAU is, let alone what their plans are or how they operate?

AAU (Almaden Minerals Ltd. (USA)) - Featured Result

www.dailyfinance.com/quotes/almaden-minerals-ltd.-(usa)/aau/ase

green_arrow.gif
+0.07 (3.32%)Mar 18 1:45PM EDT
- 15 min delay

Detailed Quote

Reaction Score

ALL I KNOW IS WE NEED TO BE PART OF THE CLUB FOR PEOPLE TO LIKE US AND I WANT PEOPLE TO LIKE US

Also, Upstater - did not know there was such a thing as "lobbyist pork" before today, so thank you for that.

Reaction Score
ALL I KNOW IS WE NEED TO BE PART OF THE CLUB FOR PEOPLE TO LIKE US AND I WANT PEOPLE TO LIKE US

Also, Upstater - did not know there was such a thing as "lobbyist pork" before today, so thank you for that.

There's also hobbyist pork. But I leave that to your google.

Reaction Score
I had no idea about any AAU stuff until the big 10 expansion of a few years ago.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There's also hobbyist pork. But I leave that to your google.
I do occasional BBQ catering gigs and consider myself a pork hobbyist.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We're not really sure what the AAU is or does, but it sounds pretty snazzy to have a member's club card.

http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5474
I want to know how a school gets to have the word "The" in front of its name? Why is it The John's Hopkins University. Why is it The Pennsylvania State University and why is it just University of Florida? How come only some NFL players on Sunday Night Football get to say THE blah blah blah college? I want it to be THE University of Connecticut. THE UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It seems to have to do with the placement of the 'university' in the name.

While the University of Connecticut is obviously the university of the state of Connecticut, things are less clear for Ohio State University or Pennsylvania State University.

Are they the Ohio state university or are they just an Ohio state university? This question was debated endlessly by scholars, citizens and people who make college tee shirts. It wasn't until someone said, "Hey, duck* this. Let's own this bitch!" that a solution was found.

They stuck a "The" in front of Ohio State and Penn State and then instructed their former players in the NFL to be sure to say it that way during their MNF intros. (At around the same time, former Miami players began to say they were from the "U", but that's only because they frequently forgot the word "Miami" or even that the place where they had spent their college-aged years was in fact a university and not, as they believed, a sleep-away football camp.)

And that is how it happened.

Reaction Score
It seems to have to do with the placement of the 'university' in the name.

While the University of Connecticut is obviously the university of the state of Connecticut, things are less clear for Ohio State University or Pennsylvania State University.

Are they the Ohio state university or are they just an Ohio state university? This question was debated endlessly by scholars, citizens and people who make college tee shirts. It wasn't until someone said, "Hey, duck* this. Let's own this bitch!" that a solution was found.

They stuck a "The" in front of Ohio State and Penn State and then instructed their former players in the NFL to be sure to say it that way during their MNF intros. (At around the same time, former Miami players began to say they were from the "U", but that's only because they frequently forgot the word "Miami" or even that the place where they had spent their college-aged years was in fact a university and not, as they believed, a sleep-away football camp.)

And that is how it happened.

Sleep away football camp? Huh. "Brothel" and "coke party" we're the first words that came to mind for me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know a guy that knows of someone who witnessed firsthand the silky smoothness
Mmmm, silky smoothness

Reaction Score
So Cowen was named Chairman of the AAU on 10/24/12. Tulane admitted to BE on 11/26/12. Assuming Uconn led the way for Tulane to be admitted this can only mean Herbst scratched his back now it's his turn...

Reaction Score
So Cowen was named Chairman of the AAU on 10/24/12. Tulane admitted to BE on 11/26/12. Assuming Uconn led the way for Tulane to be admitted this can only mean Herbst scratched his back now it's his turn...

Tulane was lead to the conference by UCF President Hitt (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...anes-move-to-big-east-20130129,0,6310791.post) but that doesn't mean that SH was vocally against it from an academic profile standpoint and realized the future Husky benefit/connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom