Ray Allen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a very bad comparison. Ray did not act like a cancer. He continued to play hard, be a great teammate, leader, and true professional. AO did none of those in his last season.
AO was treated the same way by JC, as a great number of players. In the end, who will be a more successful b-ball player, AO or AD?

Look, Ray's one of my favorite players and I think he made the right choice. Both guys (AO and Ray) probably could have handled things better on the way out the door. I don't doubt that he continued to be a good teammate and play hard, but let's not act like Ray was a saint, either. By many accounts, he and Rondo weren't even on speaking terms by the time the season ended, and he let it be known that he wasn't thrilled with coming off the bench. I also think it's a little narrow-minded to label Oriakhi a "cancer". IMO, the chemistry on last years team was nothing short of horrendous, and AO was just one of the kids guilty. From Napier's quotes, it appears there were more than a couple guys with an eye on the NBA (I'm not sure Napier and Lamb got along to well by the end of last season) rather than winning the games on the schedule. Oriakhi even made a concerted effort to bring the team together with his "holy water", and seemed supportive of the team until the very end. I'm not denying the fact that he was extremely immature, but I don't think we should pretend Ray was the ultimate professional in the way he handled his buisness while Oriakhi was a cancer. I certainly do think Ray handled things a lot better than AO, but both guys made some mistakes in the way they left and I wouldn't blame either fanbase (Boston in Ray's case or UConn in AO's case) for not greeting said player with open arms.

Reaction Score
Yeah it is strange, I have a friend who is a Yankee, Knicks and Pats fan. I keep it simple im a Yankees, Giants, and Knicks fan.
Growing up in Waltham, I apparently am one of those Eastern Mass guys no one likes. Good grief! I just love those who stereotype. I must admit. Growing up in Greater Boston, hating all things NY, I find it strange that anyone could root for teams from both cities. One thing I can say for sure. I've never met anyone who roots for the Red Sox and the Yankees and I doubt I ever will.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Giants, Yankees, Celtics and Bruins. Grew up with Bobby Orr, Dave Cowens, Bobby Murcer, Ron Johnson. Growing up in the middle of Connecticut I had choices and those were my picks.

Booing Ray Allen didn't bother me even though he is my favorite Husky of all time.

Reaction Score
Ray did the right thing for himself. Maybe we as fans need to take the pacifier out of our mouths. But, of course, that's how it goes.

Well you're stating the obvious. Virtually all athletes do the right things for themselves.

It's OK for Ray to get booed for leaving to go the C's chief rival. It doesn't mean the fans didn't appreciate the moments Ray gave them (some did cheer early on by the way).

The OP just likes to hate on Boston fans and he doesn't like when I correct him on things. Which I need to do sometimes so people don't take some of his drivel seriously.

Reaction Score
Boston fans running over someone with the Fung Wah after they left town? That never happens.

Reaction Score
It must be strange to hate a Sox fan, then party with them during a Celtics game. How do you root partly for NY & Boston?

For me growing up in Meriden in the 60's the Celtics were Russell, Jones, Jones, Hondo, Nellie, Bailey Howell, Satch etc etc and just loved that basketball as well as brother and dad............the rivalries with the Knicks, hers and Lakers were tremendous...........to be honest how it became that way was I didn't know the difference in NY and Boston just a kid liking players/teams, some help from the relatives!!

Reaction Score
Things that make me chuckle from your post.

1) The only Boston team you root for just happens to be the one that has 17 championships. Shocking.

2) You're gonna rip on Boston fans for booing a guy who took less money to go to the enemy...

3) At least give credit to the C's fans. They'll boo Allen while wearing the enemy's jersey. NY fans showed up to the ALCS games and booed their OWN players so much they "spooked" them according to some anonymous NY players.

The only post you show up for in the hoops season is about NY/Boston - speaking of shocking dopey!!:eek:

I was 5 when picking my teams and stayed with them unlike the inbred Sox fans that grew in 2004..............No credit to C's fans but again I realize who they are for the most part. People like you with no undertanding of who the person is and what he did for the team, just what he's doing and what uniform he's wearing like that matters? I now realize I should not have been sensitive to what happened yesterday as i forgot Boston fans are bred from the likes of you and that's too bad Erik!!!

Reaction Score
Well you're stating the obvious. Virtually all athletes do the right things for themselves.

It's OK for Ray to get booed for leaving to go the C's chief rival. It doesn't mean the fans didn't appreciate the moments Ray gave them (some did cheer early on by the way).

The OP just likes to hate on Boston fans and he doesn't like when I correct him on things. Which I need to do sometimes so people don't take some of his drivel seriously.

The only drivel anyone won't take seriously comes from you my friend........of all the 300 and some odd posts 99% are on the baseball board so suddenly you appear? Thanks for your interest in UConn basketball!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ray Allen not being on the Celtics is the least of their problems.

Reaction Score
Boston fans running over someone with the Fung Wah after they left town? That never happens.
I like when New York fans act all sanctimonious, as if they're any better. Boston, New York and Philly fans are all a**holes (although Philly fans definitely take the cake with that one).

Is it possible that both Ray and the Celtics did what they felt was best for each of them? Doc felt the Celtics were better last season with Bradley in the starting lineup (he was right), and Ainge thought Jason Terry would be a great fit for the team (in hindsight, he was wrong). Ray thought that if he were to take on a reduced role, Miami would be the best fit for him (he was right).

Boston did not "kick Ray to the curb" like some blind homers on here have implied. They did what they felt was best for their basketball team, and Ray did what he felt was best for his family and his career. Those decisions ultimately let them to part sides, but that doesn't mean there's any bad guys here.

Reaction Score
It was an easy decision basketball wise for Ray. Ray knows he is past his prime so why not play with 3 stars in their prime (2 superstars) Lebron has made scrubs looked looked good, what do you think he can do with Ray. This gives Ray a chance to extend his career and possibly play into his 40s if thats what he wants to do. He is a 4th option on that team and still gets starters minutes.

Ray played his 5 years with the Celtics won his championship, he was a free agent, some others dont like his decision but he is happy with his decision and thats all that matters. People will switch jobs to go work for someone else, it happens a lot. Fans have a right to boo, as long as they remember what Ray did for that team, he understands that he was going to get booed. Remember if Ray doesnt go to the Celtics neither does KG. A change of atmosphere is good for everybody, money isn't everything and im sure its not an issue for Ray at this point in his career.

Reaction Score
I like when New York fans act all sanctimonious, as if they're any better. Boston, New York and Philly fans are all a**holes (although Philly fans definitely take the cake with that one).

Is it possible that both Ray and the Celtics did what they felt was best for each of them? Doc felt the Celtics were better last season with Bradley in the starting lineup (he was right), and Ainge thought Jason Terry would be a great fit for the team (in hindsight, he was wrong). Ray thought that if he were to take on a reduced role, Miami would be the best fit for him (he was right).

Boston did not "kick Ray to the curb" like some blind homers on here have implied. They did what they felt was best for their basketball team, and Ray did what he felt was best for his family and his career. Those decisis ultimately let them to part sides, but that doesn't mean there's any bad guys here.

You my friend are 100% correct in the fact that the generic fan of each of those cities and their teams are a**es........having said that there have been many "Sox"/Boston fans in particular who do not think the majority of theirs are at all like the majority of the NY/Philly fans, those are the one's who are not in touch with reality and make these threads laughable.

But they did kick Ray to the curb in so many words, the fact they would trade a guy who helped them get back to the top to a shi**y team last year tells all you need to know........but it's a business so it's not up to Ray.

Reaction Score
I've personally thought that Cs fans overrated the short-term success that Bradley had as a starter, playing with fresh legs late in the regular season. He plays hard and can provide a spark, no doubt, especially if there's a hot hand to cool off. But in the playoffs, when everyone plays hard, he became a liability. Shot 35 percent, couldn't hit unguarded jumpers, and essentially gave opponents another help defender.

Next time around, he might handle it better (he's young), but last year, he wasn't ready for playoff basketball and it showed.

Reaction Score
I've personally thought that Cs fans overrated the short-term success that Bradley had as a starter, playing with fresh legs late in the regular season. He plays hard and can provide a spark, no doubt, especially if there's a hot hand to cool off. But in the playoffs, when everyone plays hard, he became a liability. Shot 35 percent, couldn't hit unguarded jumpers, and essentially gave opponents another help defender.

Next time around, he might handle it better (he's young), but last year, he wasn't ready for playoff basketball and it showed.
In fairness to Bradley, he was playing on two bum shoulders that needed to be surgically repaired. Not saying that was the only reason for his struggles - he needs to become a more consistent shooter, and most guys struggle in their first postseason go-around - but more than likely it played a role.

mau, you keep ignoring the fact that Pierce, who was in his 14th year with the Celtics, was nearly traded to New Jersey last season, too. I get that Ray was on the block more often, and that certainly makes his decision to sign with Miami (who won't be trading him, most likely) more understandable. But let's not act like Ray was the only one on the trading block.

Both sides - Ray and the Celtics - understand it's a business. That doesn't mean the Celtics disrespected him by trying to move him for O.J. Mayo, a younger, better and healthier player. (It's also worth noting the Ray-Mayo trade was proposed when the Celtics were under .500 and Ainge was on the verge of blowing the thing up. They weren't dumping Ray because they thought he was useless.)

Reaction Score

I don't know if I'd cast the same net over Boston and NY. Boston fans (and media) have a special tendency to really steamroll a guy once he leaves Boston. It's not a new thing either and goes back years. Mo Vaughn, Pedro, Clemens, Nomar, etc.

I'm not surprised they booed Ray...you know, even though he helped to bring them a title and left a prior team to help the Celtics in the same manner to do so.

Reaction Score
Would anyone here cheer for Alex O if UConn played Missouri? Fans root for their team - the end.

Reaction Score
Would anyone here cheer for Alex O if UConn played Missouri? Fans root for their team - the end.

I despise the man and I would not boo him............that's a promise.

"Fans root for their team - the end."........obviously deac but what does that have to do with the childish "booing" of others?

Reaction Score
Arguably boo-ing might help your team win. Legend has it Boston crowd got in the head of Ralph Sampson way back when. I remember at UConn mid-80's Syracuse's otherwise great soccer goalie had a couple awful games in Storrs possibly crowd related.

Mostly people just like to boo, perhaps because its a fun sound to make*, its just something different or more darkly it makes them feel better about themselves. It can be amusing when a particular opponent is boo-ed every time he touches the ball, its the same reason people love to chant 'airball'. These things don't make the people/cities/fanbases doing it worthy of some uniquely special sort of contempt.

* also see chanting "Louuuu" or "Youuuuuk" - coming soon to an overpriced stadium near you ;)

Reaction Score
You my friend are 100% correct in the fact that the generic fan of each of those cities and their teams are a**es........having said that there have been many "Sox"/Boston fans in particular who do not think the majority of theirs are at all like the majority of the NY/Philly fans, those are the one's who are not in touch with reality and make these threads laughable.

But they did kick Ray to the curb in so many words, the fact they would trade a guy who helped them get back to the top to a shi**y team last year tells all you need to know........but it's a business so it's not up to Ray.
Which shi**y team do you keep referencing?

By the way you're a clown. You think NY fans don't think highly of themselves? Let's just stop calling out fanbases because I have my reasons why I might think the Boston fanbase is better and you probably have your own for why the NY fanbase is better. Even though you're probably wrong, we'll just be going in circles and its pointless.

Reaction Score
It was an easy decision basketball wise for Ray. Ray knows he is past his prime so why not play with 3 stars in their prime (2 superstars) Lebron has made scrubs looked looked good, what do you think he can do with Ray. This gives Ray a chance to extend his career and possibly play into his 40s if thats what he wants to do. He is a 4th option on that team and still gets starters minutes.

Ray played his 5 years with the Celtics won his championship, he was a free agent, some others dont like his decision but he is happy with his decision and thats all that matters. People will switch jobs to go work for someone else, it happens a lot. Fans have a right to boo, as long as they remember what Ray did for that team, he understands that he was going to get booed. Remember if Ray doesnt go to the Celtics neither does KG. A change of atmosphere is good for everybody, money isn't everything and im sure its not an issue for Ray at this point in his career.
Perphaps the biggest reason that Ray left was his relationship with Rondo...and the fact that he saw the organization putting more of it's weight behind Rondo instead of Ray.
Regardless, the team still wanted him back and offered him a much better contract then he got with Miami.

It is what it is. If people want to boo him for that, thats fine. they aren't booing his 5 years with Boston, their booing his decision. Who cares. I don't get why some people (not you) get so sensitive about it. Ray's man enough to take it. He knew what he was getting into when he signed up with Riley and Lebron and Wade.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Bradley, he was playing on two bum shoulders that needed to be surgically repaired. Not saying that was the only reason for his struggles - he needs to become a more consistent shooter, and most guys struggle in their first postseason go-around - but more than likely it played a role.

Both sides - Ray and the Celtics - understand it's a business. That doesn't mean the Celtics disrespected him by trying to move him for O.J. Mayo, a younger, better and healthier player. (It's also worth noting the Ray-Mayo trade was proposed when the Celtics were under .500 and Ainge was on the verge of blowing the thing up. They weren't dumping Ray because they thought he was useless.)

Fair point on Bradley - not being 100 percent and going through the playoffs for the first time made it a tough scenario.

I agree with you on the Mayo deal that almost was - nothing wrong with the C's making a move. They were in year five of the Big Three Era, which was originally thought of as a three-year run, and needed to get younger somehow. I personally think that Ray wasn't insulted by being dangled as trade bait (although I have no way of knowing for sure), but he was realistic - he had wanted to stay in Milwaukee and Seattle and was traded both times. Plus he grew up a military brat and moved around a lot when he had no say in the matter. He was in a rare position to make a move on his own terms, and feeling that his role in Boston had run its course, he went for it.

Another part is that I'm sure the playoffs were frustrating for him - he couldn't even get open. Part of it was that he was hobbled so he lost some quickness off the ball, but also teams would never leave him to help on anyone else, and when he came off a screen from someone like Bass, they just hedged off the ball and left Bass open. Even if he caught the pass at the three-point line, he had two guys coming out on him. People are wondering why Bass has tailed off so much this season, but he got a ton of wide open looks last year setting screens for Ray - either off of Ray's feeds coming around a curl or from Ray being a decoy and Bass flashing to get a pass from Rondo as his man hedged off him. He might be the one guy who has been hurt the most from not having Ray out there.

Had Ray had a good playoff run getting good shots, and felt like Boston was still a good fit for him on the floor, I think he'd have been more likely to sign on again. But who knows for sure.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd cast the same net over Boston and NY. Boston fans (and media) have a special tendency to really steamroll a guy once he leaves Boston. It's not a new thing either and goes back years. Mo Vaughn, Pedro, Clemens, Nomar, etc.

I'm not surprised they booed Ray...you know, even though he helped to bring them a title and left a prior team to help the Celtics in the same manner to do so.
Hmm...let's put some context in your comments...

I honestly don't remember Vaughn and Pedro being steamrolled by the Boston fanbase. Fill me in. Leave the media out of it, we're talking fan bases here right? Pedro could run for mayor right now and win and Vaughn is still loved by a lot of Sox fans as much for his charity stuff as what he did when he was here.

Clemens got a great hand when he walked off the mound the final time in 96 and even when he came back with Toronto and struck out 15. There were so many cheers on his last K you'd think he was still wearing the home whites. When he forced his way onto the Yankees he was pounded with boos. He had detractors for holding out for huge contracts quite a bit, not winning "the big one" and being a prickly personality, a guy who refused to carry his bags, for example. I liked the guy buy he wasn't america's sweetheart..overall before he forcing his way onto NY he was still well liked even while on Toronto (especially when he would still drill Jeter on and on while wearing a Jays jersey).

Nomar, you could write a book on Nomar's ending. a lot of things factored in there. It's not like *all* Sox fans were glad to see him go when it happened. Many thought Theo was nuts at the time but it ended up working out. It's still unfortunate he couldn't have been a part of them winning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom