Ranking the Remaining Players | The Boneyard

Ranking the Remaining Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...ng-every-player-final-four-college-basketball

1. Shabazz Napier, PG, Sr., Connecticut Huskies -- He's the best player left in the tourney, but he doesn't have the same supporting cast as the other stars. Napier can score, distribute, defend, rebound his position and lead. He's been tremendous all year long.

9. DeAndre Daniels, 6-9, F, Jr., Connecticut -- He's an enigma but can be a game-changer when he plays with intensity. He's been far more consistent of late with eight consecutive games in double figures.

15. Ryan Boatright, 6-0, G, Jr., Connecticut -- He once committed to Tim Floyd and USC in the eighth grade. Boatright is an athletic guard who can play out of control at times, but he can also be a factor if he gets going.

20. Amida Brimah, 7-0, C, Fr., Connecticut -- Despite not being much of a threat on the offensive end, he's long, active and can change the game with his ability to block and alter shots.

25. Niels Giffey, 6-7, SF, Sr., Connecticut -- He's become UConn's most effective perimeter shooter this season, making 49 percent of his 3s. He's a nice role player for Kevin Ollie & Co.

26. Lasan Kromah, 6-6, SG-SF, Sr., Connecticut -- A one-year transfer from George Washington who has been critical for the Huskies due to his ability to play both ends of the court. Just a great "glue guy."

27. Terrence Samuel, 6-4, G, Fr., Connecticut -- He's the guy who Kevin Ollie playfully smacked in the face after video-bombing him during a postgame interview. Samuel's minutes are sporadic, but he played well against Iowa State and Villanova in the tourney.

32. Omar Calhoun, 6-6, SG, Soph., Connecticut -- It appeared as though the Brooklyn native would have a more significant role this season, but he's averaging 13 minutes per game -- largely due to the addition of GW transfer Kromah.

35. Tyler Olander, 6-10, C, Sr., Connecticut -- Has been a starter in the past, but almost out of necessity. Though he rarely plays, he has experience and could get minutes in a pinch.

36. Kentan Facey, 6-9, PF, Fr., Connecticut -- He's a top-100 player who will make an impact in time with the Huskies. At the moment he's raw and not quite ready.

40. Phillip Nolan, 6-10, C, Soph., Connecticut -- The Milwaukee native has a chance to be a decent player. He's gotten a ton of run, but he's averaging 3.5 points and 2.4 boards as a reserve big man.

42. Leon Tolksdorf, 6-8, F, Soph., Connecticut -- The native of Germany has only gotten in 13 games this season and logged 47 total minutes. Don't expect to see him without his warm-ups on in North Texas.

50. Pat Lenehan, 6-3, G, Jr., Connecticut -- He's logged a hefty 21 minutes and scored four points this season. I hope he gets on the board somehow.

53. Tor Watts, 6-1, G, Sr., Connecticut -- He's got a bio on the site, but not much else. Watts hails from Brooklyn and might be doing his best Scottie Wilbekin impersonation on the Huskies scout team this week.

55. Nnamdi Amilo, N/A, Connecticut -- He's got no bio, but has played five minutes this season for the Huskies. I'm on a mission to find out more about Nnamdi.

Lenehan is vastly underrated

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The Calhoun entry reads like it's by someone who looked at the stat sheet but hasn't really followed our season at all. He's averaging 13 minutes maybe, but it's not exactly a consistent 13.
Also, where's Nolan?

Reaction Score
The Calhoun entry reads like it's by someone who looked at the stat sheet but hasn't really followed our season at all. He's averaging 13 minutes maybe, but it's not exactly a consistent 13.
Also, where's Nolan?
Somehow behind Facey...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This is by Jeff Goodman so do not put too much into it
Exactly. He's proved repeatedly that he doesn't know anything about UConn. My guess is he's only watched the Louisville and SMU games this year.

Nolan has become incredibly good at positional defense - knowing when and how to beat the guy he's guarding to the right spots on the floor and turning shots that are usually 50% looks into 30 percenters. You have to know basketball to notice things like that, and Goodman simply doesn't.

He's also a "bad" rebounder because his job isn't to rebound, it's to block out the opposition's top rebounder. That was a strategy Ollie implemented after the Texas nightmare, and we've only been outrebounded a couple of times since. We crash the boards with 5, but it ends up being 4-on-3 since Nolan cancels one guy out, and the opponent always drops one guy back to protect in transition (often unnecessary since we have to hit the defensive boards with all hands on deck).

In other words: He's a smart, unselfish, team-first big man who doesn't take bad shots, hits his free throws, doesn't turn the ball over, and makes us a better team both defensively and on the boards.

But somehow he's the 40th best player left in the tourney. Okey doke.

And don't even get me started on how low Niels is ranked.

Reaction Score
Jeff Goodman showed his cards the other day when he said that, aside from Shabazz, the rest of this UConn team isn't ready to handle the moment. FOH.

Reaction Score
I didn't read the whole article but I'm flabbergasted by the thought there are 14 players left in in this tournament better than RB.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Per Statsheet:

1 Connecticut Shabazz Napier
2 Kentucky Julius Randle
3 Wisconsin Frank Kaminsky
4 Florida Scottie Wilbekin
5 Kentucky James Young
6 Kentucky Aaron Harrison
7 Florida Casey Prather
8 Wisconsin Ben Brust
9 Connecticut DeAndre Daniels
10 Wisconsin Sam Dekker
11 Florida Michael Frazier II
12 Florida Patric Young
13 Connecticut Ryan Boatright
14 Kentucky Andrew Harrison
15 Wisconsin Traevon Jackson
16 Florida Dorian Finney Smith
17 Wisconsin Josh Gasser
18 Kentucky Willie Cauley Stein

Reaction Score
Bazz has been the best player left in the tournament since McDermott got eliminated for sure (and for my money Bazz was the best player at the start of the tournament too)

Reaction Score
There are a few guys misplaced to create controversy, but overall it is a fair list with the exception of Nolan. He should be around 25-30 with the other UConn solid contributors. 10-15 spots off is a lot when there are only 52 scholarship players between the 4 teams.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bazz has been the best player left in the tournament since McDermott got eliminated for sure (and for my money Bazz was the best player at the start of the tournament too)

The proof is in the pudding. Look at each players tournament play. Edge to Bazz

Reaction Score
This list all together is really...really...stupid. You wanna rank the top 10 or 15 left in the tourney? Fine. But every single player??? Wtf Goodman, I just don't see the logic, other than wasting time. The guy is a true hack.

Reaction Score
Players in the Top 18 Per Statsheet:
Kentucky 5
Florida 5
Wisconsin 5
UConn 3!

Makin me angry.....!

Reaction Score
I don't normally let sports writers get to me but everything Goodman says makes me furious. Even his constant praise of Shabazz is irritating because of the way he goes about it (usually at the rest of the team's expense). That guy is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom