Ranking the 10 Greatest Individual Seasons in Women’s College Basketball History | The Boneyard

Ranking the 10 Greatest Individual Seasons in Women’s College Basketball History

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I might disagree with the order a bit. All of those chosen were some of the best ever.

Reaction Score
It's true that all those chosen were some of the best ever. But what I don't like is the device to telling the season through an individual player, because that player's wonderful season becomes the entire story behind the team's victory. Only in some cases is that true. Sure, Griner's wonderful season was THE story line for Baylor's win. And the Jackie Stiles season is maybe the epitome of this kind of season for a team. But in a number of UConn cases, it was not about one player at all, and those teams get short shrift in an analysis like this one.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's true that all those chosen were some of the best ever. But what I don't like is the device to telling the season through an individual player, because that player's wonderful season becomes the entire story behind the team's victory. Only in some cases is that true. Sure, Griner's wonderful season was THE story line for Baylor's win. And the Jackie Stiles season is maybe the epitome of this kind of season for a team. But in a number of UConn cases, it was not about one player at all, and those teams get short shrift in an analysis like this one.
But it is the great individual's seasons that they are ranking, not the team's season. I would agree that many UConn seasons are team success, and therefore the players on that team would not be individually recognized for an individual great season. I think the choice of both Maya Moore and DT reflect seasons where they "led" above and beyond, and have no problem with the choices made.

Reaction Score
But it is the great individual's seasons that they are ranking, not the team's season. I would agree that many UConn seasons are team success, and therefore the players on that team would not be individually recognized for an individual great season. I think the choice of both Maya Moore and DT reflect seasons where they "led" above and beyond, and have no problem with the choices made.
They referred to "greatest individual seasons ever" and with Griner, talked of her senior year. In my mind her performance against Louisville was horrible (by her standards) where she was a non-factor and was a key reason why Baylor lost. To perform at the level she did, in a game of such importance, really disqualifies "greatest season ever" cred, in my book. If they referred to her junior year, then I'd have to agree since her play was such that Baylor went undefeated and won a national championship. Why they selected her senior year is beyond me.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They referred to "greatest individual seasons ever" and with Griner, talked of her senior year. In my mind her performance against Louisville was horrible (by her standards) where she was a non-factor and was a key reason why Baylor lost. To perform at the level she did, in a game of such importance, really disqualifies "greatest season ever" cred, in my book. If they referred to her junior year, then I'd have to agree since her play was such that Baylor went undefeated and won a national championship. Why they selected her senior year is beyond me.
They probably should have selected her junior season when she led her team to the NC. But I don't know the stats, and if her senior year was more dominating statistically, then I can see why they used that one. The list wasn't "Greatest MVP seasons", but if it were I'd agree with you - a season culminating with a NC victory would be a more logical choice. I get your point, and in a way it is splitting hairs. Still, a terrific list. I am glad the put Stiles on there because her senior year stats were ridiculous, and almost single handedly leading her team to the final 4 was amazing.

And by the way I loved the picture they chose for Maya. So incredibly focused and intense. I'd imagine we will see Stewie on that list at some point...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting list and no problem with those selected, but ... leaves a number of phenomenal seasons out. One that jumped out was Courtney Paris - single season record holder for rebounds, record for consecutive double doubles spanning 3 years at 112 games*, only player with 2500 points and 2000 rebounds. No NCs but a dominating college career.
*I know the controversy here towards the end where she was left in a number of blow outs to keep it going, but it was pretty long already before that became an issue.

Reaction Score
If you want to see a joke. Check out some of the other lists they have made, like the Best 25 Womens Basketball Players for 13/14. It appears to me that they go entirely too much by selected statistics. Don't believe they watch very many games.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
If you want to see a joke. Check out some of the other lists they have made, like the Best 25 Womens Basketball Players for 13/14. It appears to me that they go entirely too much by selected statistics. Don't believe they watch very many games.

willtalk is correct. Here's the joke

http://janettv.com/ranking-top-25-players-womens-college-basketball-preseason-2013-2014

Stewie at # 15 behind such WCBB immortals as

Danielle Ballard
Kayla McBride (she's good - but better than Stewie ???)
Brittany Boyd
Aaryn Ellenberg
Liz Donohoe
Gennifer Brandon
Stef at #8
Achonwa at #7
Elizabeth Williams #6
KML at #5
Maggie Lucas # 4 LOL
Theresa Plaisance # 3 ROFL
Alyssa Thomas #2
Chiney O #1

I can just see some WNBA GM taking Stewie behind all these other 14. Maybe Chiney O, Williams, or KML. Apparently the list was based on stats alone.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

http://janettv.com/ranking-top-25-players-womens-college-basketball-preseason-2013-2014

Danielle Ballard
Brittany Boyd
Aaryn Ellenberg
Liz Donohoe
Gennifer Brandon
Stef at #8
Achonwa at #7
Elizabeth Williams #6
KML at #5
Maggie Lucas # 4 LOL
Alyssa Thomas #2
Chiney O #1

I can just see some WNBA GM taking Stewie behind all these other 14. Maybe Chiney O, Williams, or KML. Apparently the list was based on stats alone.
And what happened to Sims?!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Danielle Ballard
Brittany Boyd
Aaryn Ellenberg
Liz Donohoe
Gennifer Brandon
Stef at #8
Achonwa at #7
Elizabeth Williams #6
KML at #5
Maggie Lucas # 4 LOL
Alyssa Thomas #2
Chiney O #1

Reaction Score

IMMP5Ia.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, here is what I meant to say in reply: Yes, a total joke. They look really dumb with the top 25 list.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

Danielle Ballard
Brittany Boyd
Aaryn Ellenberg
Liz Donohoe
Gennifer Brandon
Stef at #8
Achonwa at #7
Elizabeth Williams #6
KML at #5
Maggie Lucas # 4 LOL
Alyssa Thomas #2
Chiney O #1

I agree that the list is certainly not ordered correctly, but if you read their methods, the ranking is not surprising at all. "Each of the top 25 players was ranked according to a total productivity rating based on points-per-game, rebounds, blocks, assists and steals."
  1. They based it all off stats from last season, so Stewart was not ranked higher because her regular season was not that spectacular.
  2. Hartley had a pretty bad year, as she was hampered by bad wheels.
  3. KML scored proficiently, but they did not factor in shooting percentage. Any UConn player is going to suffer in these sorts of comparisons because there are only so many stats to go around and UConn is deep and balanced (i.e., they're not Stanford or Maryland). Solo star shine in these sorts of analyses.
  4. Faris filled up the stat sheet, and without her hogging all those categories :)D), UConn's other stars should have better stats this season.
I liked the pictures of Achonwa and Elizabeth Williams. The Achonwa pic has obvious appeal for me, but the Williams picture makes it look like she is playing against a child.

Reaction Score
I agree that the list is certainly not ordered correctly, but if you read their methods, the ranking is not surprising at all. "Each of the top 25 players was ranked according to a total productivity rating based on points-per-game, rebounds, blocks, assists and steals."

It sounds like they went for an arbitrary formula that ignored negative stats. Even the basic basketball "efficiency" formula - which has its own issues - takes into account missed FGs, missed FTs, and turnovers.

Reaction Score
#1 is Diana's senior year. "She willed" that team to the NC.
She had some good players around her, but overall, not of usual NC caliber.

The players around Diana were certainly of national championship caliber, which is a big reason why they won 2. It may not have matched up with the best UConn teams, but certainly was on par with many NC teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom