Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Reaction Score
It’s closer. You think he’s going to St Joes or Temple? Those are the “closer” options.
It's actually not closer. Pennsylvania is a pretty big state compared to the small northeast states.

Philadelphia to Pittsburgh = 305 miles
Philadelphia to Storrs = 235 miles

I'd bet that distance really isn't an issue as his high school coach said. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that Rasool Diggins decided to transfer because R.J. Cole has decided to stay at Uconn for 1 more year?

I could be wrong, but if Cole is gone than this upcoming year Sool would have had ample playing time being the only natural point guard who could play that position. Gaffney and Floyd are not natural point guards, so this kid would have free reign in the 1 year before Castle arrives.

Reaction Score
Here's the bottom line - players don't develop in games, they develop in practice. Players show in games what they worked on in practice. Saying a player needs game time to develop is backwards. Diggins showed in his limited game minutes that he wasn't going to be productive fast enough for a top 20/top 10 program like we want to be. Were you all comfortable with the possibility that it might be his junior year or never at all that he'd be all-BE first or second team? Because anything less than that would leave you all unsatisfied.

Reaction Score
Seven pages in and I'm not reading through every comment.

I will say potentially Hurley looked at Diggins' current trajectory and compared it to Gaff's career trajectory in terms of skills, athleticism, whatever and decided it's better to cut a year early than hang on a year too late.

Or so I hope.

And like everyone else, yes, Hurley better bring in two real high level guards via the portal.

And finally, yes, I do expect Hurley to refer to Jackson as his PG at the start of the 2022-2023 season.
I was with you until your last point. It'll be a transfer guard(s) that take over the point.

Reaction Score
People who think AJ is a plus defender just don’t get it. Getting constantly beat off the dribble and every once in a while making a block from behind does not make you a good defender. One highlight reel play a game vs 5 bonehead plays a game does not make you a star. It makes you a liability.
I agree. Does he have the talent to get better? Yes. Is he there now? no way. He needs to work on his midrange shooting, 3pt shooting, keeping his man if front of him on defense and his handle. I would also like him working on his post moves as he could generate a lot of offense for us there if he tightens it up. He can jump over defenders in the post. Let's see if he improves his game more this season.

Reaction Score
Hurley reducing Gaffney's minutes and not having Sool ready to play is essentially proving my point.

Hurley made the error of sticking with Gaffney early in the year. We know what kind of player Gaffney is, and it was evident early in the year... his ceiling is maxed.

What kind of player will Diggins be or what kind of player could he have been by the end of the year? We'll never know, because Hurley never allowed the opportunity for him to develop early on. He didn't get any run in semi-meaningful minutes.

Hurley reducing Gaffney's minutes and not playing Diggins is proof that he effed up the whole situation.
You make some good points that must be taken into consideration. None of us should be surprised that Diggins is leaving.

I might not precisely recall the circumstances, but as a casual observance, I believe Diggins was the first recruit in this year's freshman class. I do recall his noted reason for deciding to commit to UConn was about how Hurley had challenged him to come here and take his game to the next level and help UConn get back to elite status. Diggins then went on to actively recruit Hawkins and maybe Samson Johnson as well. Diggins may have thought that having a good relationship with Hurley would help bring him along as a player and DH would nurture him to the next level. Exposed to the cold reality that his performance in practice (most likely, rightfully so) simply did not get him any significant game time, without a beneficial relationship with his coach, Diggins concluded that it was time to move on, get a fresh start and try it somewhere else. I seem to sense that Diggins play, while not stand-out during very limited action in the early out-of-conference games, further atrophied as the season progressed (like walking on egg shells). If DH was fully intent on developing this high level recruit, he could have shown his commitment by putting Diggins in for 2 to 3 minutes during the first half of games, early on in the season and later as well. Given Gaffney's limited performance this season, all the more reason to invest in Diggins. Now an upperclassman, Gaffney has been given playing time during his years at UConn to grow and improve. Gaffney became the starting point guard as a freshman when Alterique faltered. But when RJ Cole became eligible to play the next year, Gaff seemed to hit a roadblock in his progression. And when he was a bright spot on the team in the disappointing loss to Maryland in last year's NCAA tourney, there was hope that Gaff would elevate his game this year. But that did not happen in any significant way even though Gaff was given the benefit of the doubt for much of this season.

Diggins never got a real chance to play any significant minutes this year the way Gaffney did in his freshman year.

pj

Reaction Score
However, what's most important is how Hurley responds (short term and long term).

Long term: Will he improve at PG evaluation or outsource primary PG evaluation duties to an assistant?

Short term: He's got to find 2 BE starting caliber PGs in the portal... after ignoring transfers and preaching the UConn "family" the past year+.
Who knows, maybe he already has a quality transfer or two informally locked up and that's why Diggins is leaving... he sees the writing on the wall. If thats the case I'll gladly eat crow here.

At some point, you can be loyal to a fault, and I think that's the case here with Hurley and his player evaluations.
Let's see if he can learn from it.

The biggest problem I think is philosophical. He's trying to build an NBA style roster and sees that college shooting guards often become NBA point guards. A former PG he seems to think he doesn't need a PG on the court - he still wants to be PG from the sideline? He thinks he can teach a SG to be a PG? Whatever it is, in general the roster has lacked natural PGs. Last year he recruited one natural PG (Diggins) and two combo guards (Cole, Gaffney) and only played the combo guards.

Whereas Calhoun & Ollie had greatest success playing two PGs and converting PGs to SG - Ricky Moore playing off Khalid, Doron playing off Ollie, Shabazz off Kemba, Boatright off Shabazz.

We need a little more creativity on the court to get to the highest level. Personally I like watching guards play more than watching Samson Johnson, Richie Springs, Akok Akok sitting on the bench while two centers are on the court. I get that big men need time to develop, and Whaley and Sanogo were two of our best players, but if we can have so many big men why can't we have one natural PG who plays?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it possible that Rasool Diggins decided to transfer because R.J. Cole has decided to stay at Uconn for 1 more year?

I could be wrong, but if Cole is gone than this upcoming year Sool would have had ample playing time being the only natural point guard who could play that position. Gaffney and Floyd are not natural point guards, so this kid would have free reign in the 1 year before Castle arrives.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Sure, but he knows who Castle is. And if he's been told we are bringing in a transfer PG to start, one who probably has two years of eligibility, then he's what? The 3rd point guard as a junior and maybe the backup as a senior? Even next year he might be 3rd again. I understand how he'd read the room and make this choice.
This is why I don’t like transfers for us. It’s year what 4? And we aren’t going to have our own guard to develop until Castle. We aren’t going far getting caught up in this cycle of bringing in transfers.

Reaction Score
You make some good points that must be taken into consideration. None of us should be surprised that Diggins is leaving.

I might not precisely recall the circumstances, but as a casual observance, I believe Diggins was the first recruit in this year's freshman class. I do recall his noted reason for deciding to commit to UConn was about how Hurley had challenged him to come here and take his game to the next level and help UConn get back to elite status. Diggins then went on to actively recruit Hawkins and maybe Samson Johnson as well. Diggins may have thought that having a good relationship with Hurley would help bring him along as a player and DH would nurture him to the next level. Exposed to the cold reality that his performance in practice (most likely, rightfully so) simply did not get him any significant game time, without a beneficial relationship with his coach, Diggins concluded that it was time to move on, get a fresh start and try it somewhere else. I seem to sense that Diggins play, while not stand-out during very limited action in the early out-of-conference games, further atrophied as the season progressed (like walking on egg shells). If DH was fully intent on developing this high level recruit, he could have shown his commitment by putting Diggins in for 2 to 3 minutes during the first half of games, early on in the season and later as well. Given Gaffney's limited performance this season, all the more reason to invest in Diggins. Now an upperclassman, Gaffney has been given playing time during his years at UConn to grow and improve. Gaffney became the starting point guard as a freshman when Alterique faltered. But when RJ Cole became eligible to play the next year, Gaff seemed to hit a roadblock in his progression. And when he was a bright spot on the team in the disappointing loss to Maryland in last year's NCAA tourney, there was hope that Gaff would elevate his game this year. But that did not happen in any significant way even though Gaff was given the benefit of the doubt for much of this season.

Diggins never got a real chance to play any significant minutes this year the way Gaffney did in his freshman year.
I don’t believe we saw enough of him to comment in his potential.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe Diggins was good enough this year. In limited minutes he struggled against even light pressure. I think he’ll be a great upperclassman.

Does anyone know if Castle is a reclass possibility? We could use a big PG right now.
I heard that Castle may reclass. Personally, I have no idea if this is actually a possibility.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You’re missing the bigger picture. In Year 5, we have at PG - wait for it - Jalen Gaffney. That’s it. The single most important position in the game and we have a 4th year guy who is a mid major level role player. The argument really isn’t whether or not Diggins should have played more - for the sake of ending the argument, let’s agree that DH recognized that he wasn't a Big East level player back in October, - how are we here?!! In a guard dominated world, we’re debating either malpractice by DH in not using a talented player as a freshman, or some pretty unacceptable miss in recruiting when a PG in the Class of ‘21 was the single biggest recruiting need. And for a coach that shunned the portal publicly a year ago, it’s an even bigger miss.

You bring up some good points for sure, but to be fair you can't say "We only have Jalen Gaffney as our PG in year 5" when year 5 hasn't started yet. There's no way he'll be our only PG to start the season.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem I think is philosophical. He's trying to build an NBA style roster and sees that college shooting guards often become NBA point guards. A former PG he seems to think he doesn't need a PG on the court - he still wants to be PG from the sideline? He thinks he can teach a SG to be a PG? Whatever it is, in general the roster has lacked natural PGs. Last year he recruited one natural PG (Diggins) and two combo guards (Cole, Gaffney) and only played the combo guards.

Whereas Calhoun & Ollie had greatest success playing two PGs and converting PGs to SG - Ricky Moore playing off Khalid, Doron playing off Ollie, Shabazz off Kemba, Boatright off Shabazz.

We need a little more creativity on the court to get to the highest level. Personally I like watching guards play more than watching Samson Johnson, Richie Springs, Akok Akok sitting on the bench while two centers are on the court. I get that big men need time to develop, and Whaley and Sanogo were two of our best players, but if we can have so many big men why can't we have one natural PG who plays?

Cole is not a combo-guard. Agree with you otherwise.

Reaction Score
You bring up some good points for sure, but to be fair you can't say "We only have Jalen Gaffney as our PG in year 5" when year 5 hasn't started yet. There's no way he'll be our only PG to start the season.
Feels like 2008-2009 with Austerie as the point guard much of the year. That team was pretty loaded in other positions on the floor though.

Reaction Score
Feels like 2008-2009 with Austerie as the point guard much of the year. That team was pretty loaded in other positions on the floor though.
2008-2009 had AJ Price, Kemba, and Dyson at the guard spots in addition to Austrie.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's actually not closer. Pennsylvania is a pretty big state compared to the small northeast states.

Philadelphia to Pittsburgh = 305 miles
Philadelphia to Storrs = 235 miles

I'd bet that distance really isn't an issue as his high school coach said. We'll see.
Yes, and the traffic variance between the two drives is extreme. It's a much longer drive from Storrs.

I don't get the people fixated on a simple comment that Pitt would seem a good fit from the schools showing interest in him. He can go to the ACC, so not a step down. Be in his home state and get playing time on a team that badly needs players. It's not complicated.

Reaction Score
Yes, and the traffic variance between the two drives is extreme. It's a much longer drive from Storrs.

I don't get the people fixated on a simple comment that Pitt would seem a good fit from the schools showing interest in him. He can go to the ACC, so not a step down. Be in his home state and get playing time on a team that badly needs players. It's not complicated.
Pitt is a major step down

Reaction Score

I agree, the fit at Pitt would be good, but the drive is definitely farther to Pitt. I didn't grow up far from Philly. The drive to UConn took me 4 hours on the dot 9/10 times, and 5 hours to Pitt (where I visited friends often). The other 1/10 drives to UConn took around 7 hours with traffic, but those times were rare. As someone who grew up in PA, Pittsburgh feels like a totally different state. There's eastern PA, then a bunch of nothingness in the middle, then Pittsburgh. If he truly cares about distance to home and UConn is too far, then Pitt would not be a good fit. But I tend to think he doesn't actually care about distance to home, and he just needed give a generic reason. We've all done it.

Reaction Score
I agree, the fit at Pitt would be good, but the drive is definitely farther to Pitt. I didn't grow up far from Philly. The drive to UConn took me 4 hours on the dot 9/10 times, and 5 hours to Pitt (where I visited friends often). The other 1/10 drives to UConn took around 7 hours with traffic, but those times were rare. As someone who grew up in PA, Pittsburgh feels like a totally different state. There's eastern PA, then a bunch of nothingness in the middle, then Pittsburgh. If he truly cares about distance to home and UConn is too far, then Pitt would not be a good fit. But I tend to think he doesn't actually care about distance to home, and he just needed give a generic reason. We've all done it.
Before this becomes an epidemic, get this perfectly sane and rational post off of this board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom