Quiet Week on the Practices | The Boneyard

Quiet Week on the Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Under two weeks until gametime.

Last open practice for the public is tomorrow.

I think yesterday was a scrimmage. No news from any papers, interviews or updates.

No news about any personnel decisions, depth charts, updated ht/wt or injuries.

Interesting.

Reaction Score
Yesterday's scrimmage was closed to the media I believe. No news is good news???

Reaction Score
By no means are we the only program limiting media availability for practices, but I think it's a big mistake. College coaches have become so paranoid. NFL practices are more media friendly. Set the ground rules with the beat reporters and let them cover than dang practices. Free publicity. Doesn't help to grow the fanbase.

Reaction Score
No news is good news. I believe the team is off today. The first game is a Thursday, and they scrimmaged yesterday, so my guess is that they're going into game week preparation mode right now, and will start again tomorrow, like it was a Monday, and not a Saturday....with the exact same routine they'll be using next week, and then thereafter every week in preparing and practice for the games.

(and by 'off' I mean that they don't have any scheduled practices or meetings)

Reaction Score
If someone was injured in yesterday's scrimmage, I doubt we would've heard about it by now. We'll know tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I do find that coverage/reports seem sparse compared to past years. I feel that this contributes to a lack of buzz heading into the season. Hopefully we make it up for it during the season.

Can't wait to see for what I hope is a vastly improved passing game.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the measurement updates... see what gains some of our "smaller" guys have made in the weightroom and/or dining room table ( OL/DL only )

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I do find that coverage/reports seem sparse compared to past years. I feel that this contributes to a lack of buzz heading into the season. Hopefully we make it up for it during the season.

Can't wait to see for what I hope is a vastly improved passing game.

This. The team is coming off of a 5-7 season and confernce turmoil. Positive news to feed and build a buzz is a key. Alabama can go in to Gezpatcho mode because they're the defending champ and in everyone's top 3 nationally. Uconn needs to generate its own buzz.

The coaches should have the two deep figured out by now and spending the next two weeks refining roles and implementing the game plan for UMass and NCSU.

Reaction Score
This. The team is coming off of a 5-7 season and confernce turmoil. Positive news to feed and build a buzz is a key. Alabama can go in to Gezpatcho mode because they're the defending champ and in everyone's top 3 nationally. Uconn needs to generate its own buzz.

The coaches should have the two deep figured out by now and spending the next two weeks refining roles and implementing the game plan for UMass and NCSU.

I get that. If P wants to practice without media, I'm fine with that too.

But he should have a post practice Q/A session with the press.

Reaction Score
Yesterday's practice was at the Rent. My guess is that unlike on campus practices, there was no one waiting for the team when they got back to campus. In fairness, I'm as worried about pre-season writeups as I am about stars associated with a recruit.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Agree. About marketing the team and his staff. Doesn't have to be so specific or detailed. Some fluff is ok. How much time spent on red zone performance, how do they get player's bodies to recover each day, how much devoted still to strength vs. plays vs. technique, let captains speak some. Always interesting to hear from assistant coaches, not just coordinators. What are the coaches in the trenches getting done? Talking about getting prepared and better should be fun for coaches, players and media. Haven't played any games yet so everyone is a potential NC winner.

Reaction Score
Agree. About marketing the team and his staff. Doesn't have to be so specific or detailed. Some fluff is ok. How much time spent on red zone performance, how do they get player's bodies to recover each day, how much devoted still to strength vs. plays vs. technique, let captains speak some. Always interesting to hear from assistant coaches, not just coordinators. What are the coaches in the trenches getting done? Talking about getting prepared and better should be fun for coaches, players and media. Haven't played any games yet so everyone is a potential NC winner.

Are you guys for real on this? Tuesday's practice was open, the tuesday practice before was open. Everything you just wrote, is out there for everybody to read. It's been 48 hours since the last stream of news. Courant print.....conner's blog, silver's, runway ramblings - video clips all over the place, quotes from assistants, from players, from head coach. Clear lines on what they'll talk about and what they won't. People on this website, writing about what they personally saw at practice. 48 hours ago.

Tomorrow's practice is open up to the public again.

Talk about ADHD. It's camp, it's two weeks until the regular season, and then guess what - coach will have weekly press conferences.

Reaction Score
are we sure they were at Rent yesterday? thought it was next wk

Anyway, no news is good news. Open practices are cool to eyeball things. The defense has potential to be VERY good, w/Sio & Trevardo & Blidi leading the way. A little more production/ball security from offense this year could go a long way.

Reaction Score
Wait so are your practices open or not? It is nice to have our practices so open now in terms of media (and one was open to the public), and it does get your fanbase excited.

And if practices were open to the media, then all that I've learned over the past few years is that no news is not good news.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The nightly presser is what I was referring to. He or a designated group of coaches should be doing nightly phone conference calls just to keep the word fresh. Even press releases with quotes from coaches and players would keep me happy.

Reaction Score
Wait so are your practices open or not? It is nice to have our practices so open now in terms of media (and one was open to the public), and it does get your fanbase excited.

And if practices were open to the media, then all that I've learned over the past few years is that no news is not good news.

We have 3 practices open to the public and about 2 practices per week open to the media.

Are all of your practices open to the media?

Reaction Score
Are you guys for real on this? Tuesday's practice was open, the tuesday practice before was open. Everything you just wrote, is out there for everybody to read. It's been 48 hours since the last stream of news. Courant print.....conner's blog, silver's, runway ramblings - video clips all over the place, quotes from assistants, from players, from head coach. Clear lines on what they'll talk about and what they won't. People on this website, writing about what they personally saw at practice. 48 hours ago.

Tomorrow's practice is open up to the public again.

Talk about ADHD. It's camp, it's two weeks until the regular season, and then guess what - coach will have weekly press conferences.

More media availability will go much farther in terms of building the fanbase than putting up stupid billboards in Times Square.

Reaction Score
Yeah they are open to the media, not the public though, you need press passes to get in. Only one has been open to the public which was a scrimmage that brought in about 2,000 people and was followed up with a fan appreciation event. That kind of stuff goes a long way towards getting people excited.

And with Schiano gone the media has more freedom to interview coaches and players that they didn't have before (used to be the players who were interviewed were the ones doing very well and were 'selected' to be interviewed, now it's whoever catches the media's eye).

It's making our fanbase quite excited and getting more articles out there definitely helps with the random google searches. I wish we had Desmond Conner though, I love that guy.

Reaction Score
The nightly presser is what I was referring to. He or a designated group of coaches should be doing nightly phone conference calls just to keep the word fresh. Even press releases with quotes from coaches and players would keep me happy.
no offense, but I'd rather they spend their time practicing with the kids and planning for UMass rather than having daily pressers to keep you happy

Reaction Score
They can do both. You can only legally practice for so long, and then you can do your presser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom