Quick thoughts on Diaco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quick thoughts on Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
The 2 QB system: total disaster from many angles. If you are building for the future, why would you play a senior QB anyway?

Any 1 QB system would have performed just as poorly. Neither QB did well. If you are building for the future, why play your 2nd QB who is a senior? Because:
(a) You want to create competition to pressure Cochran, and believe that competition for playing time will spur both QBs to develop at the fastest possible rate.
(b) You want to develop your backup QB, whom you are likely to need given that you have no 3rd QB if you are going to get Boyle his redshirt.
(c) You care about all your players and want to give them an opportunity to find their limits on the football field. Your recruiting pitch is in part based on the assertion that you care about players and will do your utmost to develop every player who comes to UConn, and you want to demonstrate the truth of that promise.

There may be other reasons, I'm just proposing a few that I think are good reasons to play Whitmer. I'm going to trust Diaco's judgment on this one.

Reaction Score
Any 1 QB system would have performed just as poorly. Neither QB did well. If you are building for the future, why play your 2nd QB who is a senior? Because:
(a) You want to create competition to pressure Cochran, and believe that competition for playing time will spur both QBs to develop at the fastest possible rate.
(b) You want to develop your backup QB, whom you are likely to need given that you have no 3rd QB if you are going to get Boyle his redshirt.
(c) You care about all your players and want to give them an opportunity to find their limits on the football field. Your recruiting pitch is in part based on the assertion that you care about players and will do your utmost to develop every player who comes to UConn, and you want to demonstrate the truth of that promise.

There may be other reasons, I'm just proposing a few that I think are good reasons to play Whitmer. I'm going to trust Diaco's judgment on this one.

The only reason above is the highlighted "I'm going to trust Diaco's judgement".
AND Other than to get CW some game time reps in case CC gets hurt....

In a program rebuild, I would think, IMHO the future is not with a senior, especially if you're building off of it as it was stated. (Sheeet, I thought CC was hurt when he was pulled in the red zone on the second half opening drive.). As I stated in another thread, I am actively managing EXPECTATIONS and reality right now. I expect us to get there....hope there is not a lot of growing pains for ALL invested and involved in doing so.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't like coaching for tomorrow in college football. Careers are too short and too much can swing on a single game to do that. It also sends the message to the players that winning is not the most important thing. I don't think Cochran should start over Whitmer because Cochran is younger, I think he should start because he is a little better and that is enough to not do the QB shuffle. The only rationale to play 2 QB's is when they do completely different things, but Whitmer and Cochran are pretty similar. Whitmer is a better runner and athlete overall, Cochran has a better handle on the offense. But given how similar they are overall, why make the whole offense get used to two different QB's?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't like coaching for tomorrow in college football. Careers are too short and too much can swing on a single game to do that. It also sends the message to the players that winning is not the most important thing. I don't think Cochran should start over Whitmer because Cochran is younger, I think he should start because he is a little better and that is enough to not do the QB shuffle. The only rationale to play 2 QB's is when they do completely different things, but Whitmer and Cochran are pretty similar. Whitmer is a better runner and athlete overall, Cochran has a better handle on the offense. But given how similar they are overall, why make the whole offense get used to two different QB's?

Oh it's not good to ask the entire offense to adjust for a different quarterback mid-drive?

Running backs taking handoff differently, receivers catching balls thrown differently, lineman blocking differently when a play breaks down?

I rarely comment on x's and o's, but it seems obvious the offense is better
organized with Cochran under center.

The fact he might help you down the line is a nice bonus that makes it an easy decision.

Reaction Score
Do we really have to listen to this %$#% again. And in five years when we can list the 10 NFL players that were on this squad, someone else will be making the same argument.

These are the NFL draftees or UDFA or guys who were in NFL camps or practice squad players that Pasqualoni had on his team in his first year (when Dez and the press were crying that Edsall left the cupboard bare). We have talent. We've always had and developed talent. That ain't the problem.

Kendall Reyes
Blidi Wilson
Yawin Smallwoood
Shamar Stephen
Sio Moore
Dwayne Gratz
Ryan Griffin
Trevardo Williams
Nick Williams
Jesse Joseph
Kash Moore
Geremy Davis
Shakim Phillips
Byron Jones
Dave Teggart

We all knew Des and P were full of crap when they started spouting that. Last year the team won three games and had two players drafted I believe, both in the seventh round. One player has made it so far. Far cry from the players listed above from the Edsall era. Who are the five or six kids on the three deep from Friday that are draft picks? Is there a QB that is even marginal? how many of P's recruits will ever get drafted? I'm asking. Edsall developed guys, but you saw it on the field. Geremy Davis might be drafted this coming year. I'm guessing that's it?

when you play 53 guys in a game that generally means you don't have 22 good ones. Diaco is spinning it in a positive manner and that's great, but it is what it is. Unless this season is just a series of scrimmages and no one told the head coach they really count.

I understand he is looking for guys who can play. I am guessing he is shocked at how few there are on the current roster and decided this was only chance to weed out some players. I would expect this recruiting class to be 10 people larger than any of us expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom