Question everything here | The Boneyard

Question everything here

Reaction Score
What exactly is the plan here for UConn Football? If you are Jim Mora and Dave Benedict what do you start the conversation with?

I know James Madison is good, and based on results this year I was expecting a blowout. However, It's not like JMU is like Tennessee with high 4 stars and 5 stars everywhere.

Reaction Score
What exactly is the plan here for UConn Football? If you are Jim Mora and Dave Benedict what do you start the conversation with?

I know James Madison is good, and based on results this year I was expecting a blowout. However, It's not like JMU is like Tennessee with high 4 stars and 5 stars everywhere.
It starts with hiring a full, competent staff and working their tails off to get players that can execute. This is total horse manure and it’s embarrassing how incompetent we are.

Reaction Score

This is an excellent question.

Their recruiting in the portal has to take a MAJOR step forward as it got us nowhere this year. There has to be coaching changes!!!!!!!

Reaction Score

If I’m DB I ask Mora what the hell he’s doing and that Charlton needs to be sent packing. Then the conversation has to be about sucking it up and putting up the $$$ to get quality players and coaches.

Reaction Score
Until a couple weeks ago I was not a proponent of replacing Carleton but I changed my mind. He needs to go. I also have agreed for a time now that Mora cannot be HC and DC simultaneously. And yes we need to fund the NIL. If we do not make changes we will do irreversible harm to the football program if we haven’t crossed that rubicon already. Has Benedict secretly decided to commit the murder of the football program. How are we going to recruit talent to a mediocre program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Plan is to hit the portal as hard as possible. I still think there is more physical talent than last year, but a significant drop in FB ability.

No, I don't think it's the coaches. You don't need coaches to know how to not give up 80 yard plays. You don't need coaches to pick among three teceivers or to catch the ball when thrown to you.

Reaction Score
Until a couple weeks ago I was not a proponent of replacing Carleton but I changed my mind. He needs to go. I also have agreed for a time now that Mora cannot be HC and DC simultaneously. And yes we need to fund the NIL. If we do not make changes we will do irreversible harm to the football program if we haven’t crossed that rubicon already. Has Benedict secretly decided to commit the murder of the football program. How are we going to recruit talent to a mediocre program.
Easily done in the off season, give Charlton his walking papers and hire back Todd Orlando as DC. Both the new DC and OC need to be good recruiters too. We really missed the boat when we didn’t hire Lashlee.

Reaction Score
Join a G5 conference, Play G5 games with the goal of being the best G5 team in the country. Fake it until you make it doesn't work in sports. Look at the schedules of Tulane, Liberty, James Madison and Toledo and count the number of "Power Conference" games they play. Recognize that winning begets winning and losing begets losing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not attacking anyone here just MHO... This is star gazing which does not always transfer to the field. Like Tenn, JMU was faster at all positions. Speed kills. ;)
We really missed the boat when we didn’t hire Lashlee.
Again no attacking your post but you missed the boat. Lashlee and his wife wanted nothing to do with living here. That and playing in the north east.
It starts with hiring a full, competent staff and working their tails off to get players that can execute.
The recruiting list is posted on this forum constantly and where they end up. We do not lose prospects to lesser teams very often. Most often it is to schools in a conference and looking better than UConn at this time. The staff works hard on recruiting but the recruit has to have interest. Do check out the recruiting thread. You may find it interesting and factual about the topic.

Reaction Score
Plan is to hit the portal as hard as possible. I still think there is more physical talent than last year, but a significant drop in FB ability.

No, I don't think it's the coaches. You don't need coaches to know how to not give up 80 yard plays. You don't need coaches to pick among three teceivers or to catch the ball when thrown to you.

I thought the plan was to hit the portal hard last off season. I'm not down on the coaching staff, but I just don't understand how every team we play has more talent at every position than us (I'm not counting P4 teams). JMU had a QB with 5 years of D1 experience and we land a QB from Maine. Not trying to be negative, just frustrated.

Reaction Score
It starts with hiring a full, competent staff and working their tails off to get players that can execute. This is total horse manure and it’s embarrassing how incompetent we are.
This is correct. Have to get competent staff that understands the portal. Need to find some mo ey for key positions.

Reaction Score
I have been reluctant to be critical of the coaches but the reality is that this is results business and the results this year are poor. At a minimum need a new offensive coordinator with an entirely new scheme since Charlton has failed to deliver the goods here. If we want to play big boy football we have to act like it. Coordinators who don't deliver in FBS get canned.

Reaction Score
Not attacking anyone here just MHO... This is star gazing which does not always transfer to the field. Like Tenn, JMU was faster at all positions. Speed kills. ;)

Again no attacking your post but you missed the boat. Lashlee and his wife wanted nothing to do with living here. That and playing in the north east.

The recruiting list is posted on this forum constantly and where they end up. We do not lose prospects to lesser teams very often. Most often it is to schools in a conference and looking better than UConn at this time. The staff works hard on recruiting but the recruit has to have interest. Do check out the recruiting thread. You may find it interesting and factual about the topic.
I think when he was here $4 mil per year back then and other concessions could have kept him here. Or even Jerry Kill could have been possible.

Reaction Score
Mora says we need to get 12-14 "impact players" from the portal. Sounds pretty ambitious to me. How many
"impact players" did we get in the portal this year? Nowhere near 12-14. If we couldn't get them after a bowl season, what are the chances we get them after this debacle?

Reaction Score
Mora says we need to get 12-14 "impact players" from the portal. Sounds pretty ambitious to me. How many
"impact players" did we get in the portal this year? Nowhere near 12-14. If we couldn't get them after a bowl season, what are the chances we get them after this debacle?
Newsflash: Coach of 1-8 team says he needs better players.

Getting them is the problem

Reaction Score
I think when he was here $4 mil per year back then and other concessions could have kept him here. Or even Jerry Kill could have been possible.
If I recall RE wasn’t happy because Rhett’s offense scored too quickly. Probably more than that but that was one complaint

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We chose to sacrifice football to sustain basketball success. Was that a good decision? IDK. I still think football can succeed, but the odds aren’t good. Last year looks like a sweet aberration.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
How many impact players does anyone get from the portal?

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that this program played Oklahoma in a BCS bowl 13 years ago. We haven't had a winning season since. Why are we so consistently awful at this? Was it all CR fallout? It's like everybody associated with the football program just forgets how to play football on Saturdays. We are always overmatched, we are always making fundamental mistakes, we are always outplayed, outcoached and are always shooting ourselves in the foot with mistakes. We all had high hopes for this season coming off last year but I don't think any of us saw this giant turd of a season coming. SMH it's depressing.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is my concern as well. How many hits have we had with the portal, 2-3? We have missed with a large chunk of our portal players. It's not supposed to be that way. Guidone (yes I butchered his name), the LB from last year, and the kid from WVU this year. That's all I can say were hits from the portal. Who am I missing? This list of busts is enormous and I feel like that's not usually the case as most schools. I know that not every player is a hit but the majority of portal players can't be misses like we've had. We need a better evaluator of talent and how players fit in here.

Reaction Score
Tough to get guys in the portal when the stigma of the program is that of a dumpster fire. Who would want to play here?

I follow JMU football somewhat due to the fact I know a few people who went there. When I saw this game on the schedule I immediately knew it was a loss. They are a legit program with some legit players.

So why can JMU do it and not us? I’m not entirely sure of the answer. We have been a FBS program longer, have sustained success in other sports, likely have just as good, if not better facilities. They are clearly trending upward. We seem to be getting worse.

Is it coaching? I like Mora and I think he’s a great leader but is he an X’s and O’s guy? People tend to forget his tenure in the NFL was relatively short and not that successful - he was fired twice and had losing records with the exception of one year. At UCLA he started off hot but eventually he had three straight losing seasons. The OC/DC issue here has not helped. That’s on Mora.

As far as recruiting goes - I get CT and New England are not hotbeds for HS football but this has always been the case. We were able to get talent in the old Big East days - perhaps it was easier to recruit in a conference or maybe we had a better eye for talent or better coaching staff to develop players.

A lot of questions need to be answered. I am not entirely sure what the next steps are but clearly something is not working. The program needs fixing.

Reaction Score
This is my concern as well. How many hits have we had with the portal, 2-3? We have missed with a large chunk of our portal players. It's not supposed to be that way. Guidone (yes I butchered his name), the LB from last year, and the kid from WVU this year. That's all I can say were hits from the portal. Who am I missing?
Jelani Stafford. Raashaan Wilkins also looks like he’s coming into his own.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Until a couple weeks ago I was not a proponent of replacing Carleton but I changed my mind. He needs to go.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom