Question about Brimah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question about Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

You're making a dramatic conclusion. You have only the scant evidence that you scraped from the TV screen to support it.

Not good.
Give me some evidence this center by committee thing works at a high level across a Season of work?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan played pretty well in the 2nd half, but it was once again one of those out-of-the-box score type performances. My only other thought is that he may have re-aggravated his shoulder injury as he was at one point sort of wincing and grabbing at it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Amida just keeps getting better every game. He's gonna be a force next year, and at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hasheem Thabeet type of college career from him.

Reaction Score
Give me some evidence this center by committee thing works at a high level across a Season of work?

OK. #2 team in the country and currently undefeated Syracuse has been playing 3 centers this year, all between 13 and 20 minutes. Coleman was hurt last week but the point remains the same. They will now have 2 centers by committee instead of 3. Please don't make the argument that Cuse has not played enough games for the point to be significant because that's a bad one.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I
OK. #2 team in the country and currently undefeated Syracuse has been playing 3 centers this year, all between 13 and 20 minutes. Coleman was hurt last week but the point remains the same. They will now have 2 centers by committee instead of 3. Please don't make the argument that Cuse has not played enough games for the point to be significant because that's a bad one.
think you can argue they do that for the same reason we do. Lack of a great center

C

Chief00

On our four Final 4 teams we had 3 NBA centers and Alex O who had double/double ability and was a solid college center during 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

A "season of work" includes conference championships and March Madness when vulnerabilities get exploited the most.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Of our four Final 4 teams we had 3 NBA centers and Alex O who had double/double ability and was a solid college center during 2011.
He was a solid rebounder, but he had a lot of flaws in his game that I would not consider him a solid center that season. He also had RS, another great rebounder and lock down big defender to contribute and TO, who played decently alongside AO. CO was a decent player who JC used when opposing players were getting the upper hand on AO.

Obviously AO did more than enough during that run to acknowledge that his contributions were significant in getting a NC. But I would never say his performance was good enough to call him a solid center based on my criteria of what a solid center should be able to do.

C

Chief00

Roscoe was not a center; Tyler contribution can be seen in box score, not worthy of discussion.

Reaction Score
Obviously AO did more than enough during that run to acknowledge that his contributions were significant in getting a NC. But I would never say his performance was good enough to call him a solid center based on my criteria of what a solid center should be able to do.

Alex was basically a 10 points / 9 rebounds guy in 2011. He had 11 points and 11 rebounds in the national championship game. He had 8 points and 10 rebounds against Kentucky in the semi-final.

At UNLV Roscoe is averaging more than double the rebounds he averaged at UConn in 2011 and basically four times the number of rebounds he got his last year at UConn, so the notion that he was a "great rebounder" (or lock down defender) while at UConn is a bit overstated.

I'm curious, if basically averaging a bit under a double double on a national championship team does not make one at least a "solid center," what the hell does? I have to say, most of the time you seem entirely too reasonable to take such a ridiculous stance when it comes to Oriakhi.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Alex was basically a 10 points / 9 rebounds guy in 2011. He had 11 points and 11 rebounds in the national championship game. He had 8 points and 10 rebounds against Kentucky in the semi-final.

At UNLV Roscoe is averaging more than double the rebounds he averaged at UConn in 2011 and basically four times the number of rebounds he got his last year at UConn, so the notion that he was a "great rebounder" (or lock down defender) while at UConn is a bit overstated.

I'm curious, if basically averaging a bit under a double double on a national championship team does not make one at least a "solid center," what the hell does? I have to say, most of the time you seem entirely too reasonable to take such a ridiculous stance when it comes to Oriakhi.
There are other aspects to a center's game besides rebounding. Alex was horrible at the pick and roll on defense. When his player set a screen he often didn't set himself in a position to prevent the opposing guards from getting an easy drive to the basket. If a guard penetrated and he moved to stop the play he was unable to turn quickly enough when the pass was made to his man. He was a decent enough weak side blocker but struggled to block shots against his own player. Taller player shot over him easily, and he was lost when he defended against players who had decent perimeter shooting and could drive. He'd often play halfway between these guys and the basket and would frequently be beaten by them.

In all these aspects Chuck was a better player. The problem was Chuck was an abysmal rebounder. And even though he had better hands than Alex, Alex at least did enough with his back to the basket to force teams to guard him. He was a very good offensive rebounder whereas Chuck was MIA. Put the best aspects of these two guys and you would have a solid center.

One more point. There were times when RS was guarding the other teams best big man. So he was boxing that guy out while AO was free to rebound.

I'm not knocking AO'a numbers. They were important obviously. But he was a center with big flaws. Flaws, imo, that I don't consider a solid center should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba22

Top Bottom