QB situation - Burn the shirt? | The Boneyard

QB situation - Burn the shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assumption - Whitmer is out (which l hope is not the case) and McCummings is not a full game option (which l believe would be true).

If Johnny Mac is overwhelmed by what he sees from Cincy or gets hurt AND the game is winnable, do you burn Cochran's redshirt? The only other option would a strictly scout team guy (didn't look up his name - no disrespect) who signed on never expecting to see the field.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Assumption - Whitmer is out (which l hope is not the case) and McCummings is not a full game option (which l believe would be true).

If Johnny Mac is overwhelmed by what he sees from Cincy or gets hurt AND the game is winnable, do you burn Cochran's redshirt? The only other option would a strictly scout team guy (didn't look up his name - no disrespect) who signed on never expecting to see the field.

NO.

Reaction Score
So you lose the game to keep a QB for one more year? With Lagow coming in?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So you lose the game to keep a QB for one more year? With Lagow coming in?

First of all, you are going to throw in a kid who has never played a down of D-1 football against a very stout Cincy defense, and I would argue that you have no better chance of winning with him in right now as you do with Mac.

Secondly, we still don't know very much about Lagow. For more on this, I will invoke the memory of Nebrich, who was the all-time state of Virginia yards leader but was clearly not ready for D-1 ball (regardless of what many would say on this board).

So....NO.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, I believe that Casey is going to be a very good one for us. Once he gains some more maturity and arm/leg strength, I think he is going to be fantastic. Why steal a year away from him at UConn on the off-chance that he might be slightly better than Mac against Cincy???? It makes zero sense...

Reaction Score
Wasn't Cochran rated just as high as Lagow? Personally, I would like to see McCummings. Screen passes, wildcat, play action, our offense might actually have some complexity to it for the first time all year, and a slight chance exists that Cincy won't know the exact play we are running before we run it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wasn't Cochran rated just as high as Lagow? Personally, I would like to see McCummings. Screen passes, wildcat, play action, our offense might actually have some complexity to it for the first time all year, and a slight chance exists that Cincy won't know the exact play we are running before we run it.

Sure they will. It will be a run play 90% of the time. The other 10%, he will demonstrate that he cannot throw a spiral past 15 yards.

Don't get me wrong; I think Scotty does some nice things in the run game and he is clearly a great athlete. But he isn't a starting QB...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

No. NFW. NO!

Reaction Score
By the way, I believe that Casey is going to be a very good one for us. Once he gains some more maturity and arm/leg strength, I think he is going to be fantastic. Why steal a year away from him at UConn on the off-chance that he might be slightly better than Mac against Cincy???? It makes zero sense...

I like that he has been pretty involved on the sidelines.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I like that he has been pretty involved on the sidelines.

Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind that he is getting properly prepped to be a very good one. He'll have a full understanding of the offense by next year and he will be well positioned to battle for the starting spot or to be an effective backup for 2 years before he takes over the ship as a REDSHIRT junior, with his backup being REDSHIRT sophomore Lagow...

Reaction Score

......................................................................................................................
The only shirt I want to see burned is GDL's right after the Cincy game.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Screw the RS. Win the game. I remember LSU burning a RS on a cornerback (Travis Daniels) in the SECCG one year. Kid had a heck of a game in an upset of Tennessee. He has gone on to have a 6 years career in the NFL after playing 3 more seasons. Play for the now. I'd start Casey if CPP thinks he's better than Johnny Mac. He may not think Cochran is better than Johnny Mac though.

ETA: I assume Whitmer has a concussion. Is it fact that he is out this week?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Screw the RS. Win the game. I remember LSU burning a RS on a cornerback (Travis Daniels) in the SECCG one year. Kid had a heck of a game in an upset of Tennessee. He has gone on to have a 6 years career in the NFL after playing 3 more seasons. Play for the now. I'd start Casey if CPP thinks he's better than Johnny Mac. He may not think Cochran is better than Johnny Mac though.

Let me put it this way for you; if they felt that way, don't you think Cochran would have been in against Louisville? If you are going to burn a redshirt, wouldn't you rather get two games out of it instead of one, especially when one of them is a top20 team?

They didn't. That should tell you everything you need to know about the possibility of them burning it for Cincy...

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way for you; if they felt that way, don't you think Cochran would have been in against Louisville? If you are going to burn a redshirt, wouldn't you rather get two games out of it instead of one, especially when one of them is a top20 team?

They didn't. That should tell you everything you need to know about the possibility of them burning it for Cincy...

I agree. I was just saying, if you think he gives you the best chance to win, you play him. I don't think they see it that way.

Reaction Score
The TV broadcasters mentioned Scott McCummings as one of the players that visited the trainer's table yesterday for a neck injury or stinger. Did that influence the decision to have only Johnny Mac at QB for 4th quarter and OT? Waiting for HCPP presser this afternoon to get the injury update on all of the nicked players.

If Whitmer and McCummings are out, Johnny Mac and Blaise Driscoll (scout team QB) are the options...please don't burn Casey Cochran's redshirt.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Redshirts are overrated. You only Redshirt if a kid isn't ready to play. You don't Redshirt to "save" a kid for later.

Reaction Score
Did anyone listen to the WTIC Coach's show on Thursday night. His player guests included Blaise Driscoll (scout team qb). Listen: He goes against UConn's 1st team defense daily in practice, so I wouldn't be worried about him against Cinci's. If Whitmer is a nogo, it's Trickshot, McCummings, with Driscoll in the bullpen. No burning Cochran's redshirt. I have confidence in JMac. I'd actually even be interested in McCummings running our regular offense.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't see why McCummings, if healthy, can't run the offense if needed. He adds another dimension and on his one throw this season, he threw a perfect pass that McCombs dropped and would have been a TD. I don't see why he couldn't start and be successful. We've seen Johnny "Happy Feet" Mac. If he needs to start so be it but I'd rather give McCummings the start.

Reaction Score

No. Not worth it.

You let Johnny Mac have the chance to be the hero on senior day and get McCummings involved somehow.

Reaction Score
Burning a RS to get to a NC game and burning a RS to get to the Beef O'Brady's bowl are two different things.

ETA: I assume Whitmer has a concussion. Is it fact that he is out this week?

Reaction Score
If playing Cochran gives you the best chance to win, you play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc