Q Game...... | The Boneyard

Q Game......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow I'm tired.........late night as the game had me so wired I figured I might as well stay up and watch my Homeland and Boardwalk Empire DVR's lol......

Anyway a gritty, very ugly win is certainly better than the same with an L being the result. This was a game which the guards played a big part in the reason they were getting beat, but also were the reason for the comeback as expected. I mean the FT shooting was tremendous and while Bazz and Boat were great remember Omar and Deandre also both made 2 each down the stretch, all of them so important as we now see.

Let's look at each player:

Bazz - great finish, go-to guy like we can't believe down the stretch and the major reason for having a chance for a W. Think he took the "need to get going earlier" in the game a little too serious and was frustrated and showed it by forcing the issue way too much. Again needs to be a middle ground and hit people when open and rolling rather than being too pretty! Didn't like the frustration foul on the reach back after getting beat but who's to argue with the end result?

Boat - Much like Bazz real rough go until the end. Thought he and Bazz were being "too pretty" instead of just making plays. He tends to think he can double pump all the time where as the secondary defender was contesting most of his shots......Again just make plays and get the ball to open people sometimes. Made his FT's and went strong to the hole, end of reg. and in the OT's......played good D but still needs to work on keeping his guy in front of him especially in key moments down the stretch rather than watching him go by and trying to swat from behind (too much of that from him).....

Deandre - rough game, never got in the flow offensively, didn't rebound the ball early and his PT in the 1st half suffered for that reason I believe. He did have some very good secondary blocks down the stretch a couple of them in very big moments where QU could have cemented the game with a lay up or 2.......need him to be more aggressive but a work in progress.

Tyler - Bad start, didn't rebound or play D all that well......had a real nice stretch before fouling out where he was more aggressive on the boards......don't mind him taking the foul line juper when "open!" but needs to stop shooting when someone is already squared up on him.......and going back to D move your feet and don't reach or bring the arms down, played great D on his 4th foul then when Drame was throwing up a backwards half hook he reached in with his off hand (stupid) no need! Be smarter and faster

Omar - quiet 17 and important......defense improving game to game although he falls for the ball fake still but has potential to be a solid defender......needs to rebound a little more and is capable so more his nose in is required.......2 excellent "lefts" down the stretch, one being a great cut bailing Boat out who was caught in the air while the other was a nice crossover to a half hook in the lane.....like to see more of that

Niels - solid game and pretty good job on the boards for his size, although he had position for one and Ike went over him because he didn't jump for it but overall nice, defense fairly solid but needs to start putting the ball on the ground a bit more and penetrating to help the guards......has the ability but lacks the confidence sometime, could have used a little more aggression when the guards struggled.

RJ - not as many minutes as I expected but the usual solid game. As KO said earlier in the year you always know what you're going to get from him, squeezed another nice lay in on the break and has the knack for that even against bigger guys, fun to watch. Saw him finally take a perimeter shot, missing a 3 but looked okay. Looks more comfortable mixing it up!

Enosch - Sorry but 3 of hist 1st 4 fouls were so ticky tack I cannot blame the kid......obviously you can't get into the flow if they're calling those but that's something he will need to watch. We had NO flow on offense without Tyler and he being able to help run the offense through the high post so they will both need to keep their hands to themselves and move their feet.

Phil - He was good for his 7 minutes and they were key. Very active and if stronger would have had a couple more chances for offensive put backs but solid minutes and deserved some more minutes in the 2nd half I thought....baby steps

KO and the staff - all-in-all the kids play the way he coaches, backs to the wall they found a way and his passion is catchy. Have to question a couple of things...one giving Bazz too much rope in the 1st half when he was getting whacky and frustrated, and some substitutions.......Nolan deserved a shot for a few more minutes 2nd half when EW and TO were struggling but I know they have their reasons......and in OT when TO fouled out and QU was at the FT line they went back out without a big guys with position on the bottom of the square, Enosch needed to be there if fro nothing else but size. We lost the ensuing rebound off a FT miss OOB's off Deandre as he was pushed under the hoop by a stronger player - it was he and Giffey under? On the assistants there too!!.......but I love the fact he rarely seems to be persuaded by calls to change his passion for coaching the players and always stays in the game and on his players!! Learning and doing a great job overall!!

QU - Tom Moore has them playing very hard and gets a lot out of that undersized team. I would take Ike on the Huskies any day, if he stayed out of foul trouble I think we are playing George Mason. TM whines a little too much and I guess that was pointed out even more on the radio telecast. But still, good to see an ex-Husky proving his coaching roots and doing a real nice job........would have been a great W for his school and I'm sure he had some nightmares......hopefully Conti had more (threw up all bricks after his pull of the shirt 3....beautiful!!:)

Wow, Dogmania do you approve.......better get ready for work!!

Reaction Score
Just in general this group is better than most we have had at free throw shooting and not turning the ball over. Very good to see. They are going to deal with the rebounding in every game and will need to shoot a lot better in most contests to win.

Reaction Score
Tyler - I really loved the way Tyler took it down the lane for the jam. I don't think I've seen that before from him. But then again, he is forcing things way too much. Getting stuffed. That being said, the announcers clearly know very little about UConn because they called Tyler's foul-line jumper a horribly bad decision.

Enosch - I'm with you on the fouls. At one point, a cutter ran into him and he was called for a block. It was absurd, especially since QC ws getting away with much more on the other end. In fact, I was shocked when Daniels was called for an over the back late. Say what? Over the back? You mean to tell me that these refs had actually heard of Over the Back? I never would have believed it during regular time play.

Phil - He looked like he is excellent at shooting free throws. That bodes well if he's the one holding down the fort in the future.

KO -- "and in OT when TO fouled out and QU was at the FT line they went back out without a big guys with position on the bottom of the square, Enosch needed to be there if fro nothing else but size."

I thought so too but then I noticed that the only big on the floor for QC (Drame) was at the line, and there were guards next to the UConn guys on the blocks. Point taken about Daniels getting roughed up, but those were guards that pushed him, not big QC guys and that should have been UConn ball regardless.

In case anyone thinks I'm complaining about the refs, don't. I think they were bad, destroyed the rhythm of the game, called ticky-tack fouls, missed who the ball was out on multiple times (mostly in QC's favor) but they also bailed out UConn (and especially Boatright) multiple times especially in the overtimes. I hate to see games called like that, for both teams.

Reaction Score
I was sitting next to Boat and Bazz's moms. Bazz's mom is a absolute " super fan". Cracking me up the whole game- my local friend slipped a beer that almost got her purse- I think there might have been blood.

Q really was getting a lot of shots to fall and we could not make a jump shot if our life depended on it.

For the game tonight I think the guys should wear blindfolds and let the force guide them- whatever they did last night simply was not working.

Reaction Score
What were all those fouls in the stretch?? I think the refs even called a foul for farting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom