Purvis mention | The Boneyard

Purvis mention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And in other news, Jeff Goodman now writes for ESPN...

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post/_/id/8/top-impact-transfers-remaining-targets

5. Rodney Purvis
Old school: North Carolina State Wolfpack
New school: Connecticut Huskies

I’ve always felt that Purvis was overrated, but one thing he can do is score. He and his mother weren’t happy with his role as a freshman in Raleigh, so he left and will sit this season and have three left in Storrs under Kevin Ollie. If Ollie can teach Purvis to become a better team guy, he can be an extremely valuable player for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Where there's smoke, there's probably fire. Given the number of different writers who have commented along these, I doubt they're all full of it.

That said, if there's any coach who can get a guy to embrace the team concept, it's Ollie.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Where there's smoke, there's probably fire. Given the number of different writers who have commented along these, I doubt they're all full of it.

That said, if there's any coach who can get a guy to embrace the team concept, it's Ollie.
Could be the echo chamber.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'll see. My money's on KO, though.

Reaction Score
Even if the negative assessments of Purvis are accurate, the thing to keep in mind is he'll effectively be a junior by the time he plays a game for us. Think of the difference between freshman Shabazz and junior Shabazz, freshman Kemba vs junior Kemba, and (hopefully) freshman Boatright vs junior Boatright.

Reaction Score
Your point is very valid. He s/b a stud when he begins playing in 2014. Also I agree that he needed to get out of Raleigh and all the people who had his ear!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's said he made a mistake in staying in NC. I think he had pretty immediate buyer's remorse and that was only exacerbated when he lost PT down the stretch.

Goodman hates UConn, so I really don't believe a word he writes. And Givony's comments were a bizarre hatchet job -- really over the top. That said, sure, he's got some growing up to do. And yes, he probably was a little over-hyped. But THAT said, he's very talented and will have the maturity that comes with age, a year away from bad influences (family and others), and a year under KO's tutelage.

In KO we trust.

Reaction Score
I might be "worried" a bit more if he was playing this year but I agree with the peeps above- one year at practice- and hitting the court as a junior- will make all the difference in the world. He will have ten toes in by that time.

Reaction Score
I agree that this sit-down year is going to be very helpful for Purvis. He is going to have a year to practice with his team and find/grow into the role KO will develop for him. He will contribute to the success of this year's team thru his role of practicing/pushing the active players. He will be hungry as a wild husky to play the following year and get on the court with the team KO is assembling/developing. Whether he was overrated, immature, or upset with his role at NC State will be immaterial. He is a very talented and physically gifted guard. KO will be the perfect teacher for what he needs and desires to learn. I can't think of a more ideal situation for him to be coming into.

Reaction Score
I might be "worried" a bit more if he was playing this year but I agree with the peeps above- one year at practice- and hitting the court as a junior- will make all the difference in the world. He will have ten toes in by that time.

I agree. And in terms of eligibility he will only be like a sophomore because he will have 3 years at Uconn if he were to stay around correct?

Reaction Score
Kids will be kids (all of them). It matters more about the journey to manhood and the directions and course corrections they make. No need to pre-judge kids. Many turn out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom