Prospective scheduling philosophy in the Big 12 | The Boneyard

Prospective scheduling philosophy in the Big 12

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We are doomed! With that out of the way, here is what I hope we do with our scheduling in the Big 12.

#1 Get WVU, Cincy, and UCF as our three permanent rivals. I'm sure the Big 12 would be good with this as likely the other three would be as well.

#2 Drop the pay day games and drop the FCS games- we don't need either of those anymore.

#3 Drop the UMass game- we don't need this game anymore.

#4 Play Syracuse and BC every year on a perpetual home and home basis.

#5 Play one other SEC, B1G, or ACC school yearly (as part of a home and home series): UNC, Ole Miss, Virginia, etc.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Cool! Prospective scheduling philosophy to go 0-12.
You don't think we can beat BC or Syracuse with Big 12 resources? We can already beat BC now.

Reaction Score
Yes, we need some of those games. Virtually every P5 team plays a few easy games per year. For the weaker members it guarantees some wins. For the stronger teams it gives them a chance to rest starters for much of the game and work in some second and third stringers. GA has Tennessee-Martin and Ball State. Alabama has Middle Tennessee and USF. Ohio State has Youngstown and Western KY. Clemson has Charleston Southern and Florida Atlantic (was going to toss in 'Cuse just to be antagonistic). USC has San Jose State and Nevada. The list goes on and on. No one expects their team to play 12 tough opponents. Even if they are good enough to win every game on the schedule it's a formula to wear down the squad and increase injuries while decreasing morale. Give the guys a break.

Reaction Score
UConn would struggle with those “weak” opponents. There is a reason UConn gets scheduled for homecoming

Reaction Score
I’d keep UMass. Big game for them and a win most years for us. Maybe even as a rivalry weekend game. As far as FCS games I don’t have a huge problem. if Alabama does it the week before Auburn why not us early as a “ pre-season “ tune up?

Reaction Score
We are doomed! With that out of the way, here is what I hope we do with our scheduling in the Big 12.

#1 Get WVU, Cincy, and UCF as our three permanent rivals. I'm sure the Big 12 would be good with this as likely the other three would be as well.

#2 Drop the pay day games and drop the FCS games- we don't need either of those anymore.

#5 Play one other SEC, B1G, or ACC school yearly (as part of a home and home series): UNC, Ole Miss, Virginia, etc.

Even Alabama doesn't schedule like that. It's suicide.

Reaction Score

I doubt BC would want to play UConn every year. Syracuse either. I think keeping UMass on the schedule helps. It's a local game kids can look forward to from both schools to travel to and it keeps eyes on NE football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Did I miss the B12 invite thread?

P5 scheduling follows a single formula.

1. Schedule enough OOC wins to be darn sure you are bowl eligible, doesn't matter if you have to schedule Gateway Community College.
2. Once #1 is secured, play as many home games (wins) as possible.
3. Pay out as little in guarantee money as possible.
4. Schedule tough OOC games for poll/prestige bumps, assuming you think you can win them.

If UConn gets a P5 invite, only those cursed with the Yankee Conference recessive gene will care about BC or Syracuse being on the schedule. Will we all expect them to be on it, yes (they all schedule the same way), they are convenient, cheap, beatable opponents and would see us the same way.

No one should really care if they aren't on a UConn P5 schedule, otherwise.

Reaction Score
Cart is ahead of the horse but I'll bite

9 conference games
1 G5 (UMass, Buffalo, Temple, Army, etc)
1 P5 (BC, Cuse, Rutgers, etc)
FCS game

This sets us up for 6-7 home games per year
This but I would swap out the FCS game and instead schedule UMass every year. Why not?

Reaction Score
This but I would swap out the FCS game and instead schedule UMass every year. Why not?
Because we can get the FCS team at home every year.

One of the few things I like about our current scheduling prospects is that we can play the U-game annually on rivalry week. It would be great to continue that but I don't see it happening with a 9 game conference schedule

Reaction Score

9 conference games
FCS game

I could go along with this with these caveats:
Love playing the service academies (Army, Navy), so play UMass only if there are conflicts scheduling them
Play only local FCS (former YanCon mates) or Delaware. I would love to add Yale to the schedule, but isn't there a rule against scheduling non-scholarship FCS for a win to count toward bowl eligibility?

But all of this conjecture is putting the cart before the horse. UConn needs that XII invitation first...

Reaction Score
9 conference games
FCS game

This.

And if we’re in the b12 or any other conference down the road, I don’t see the need to have any ooc that we play every year. Much rather find a formula like this and then mix up the teams for each category.

Reaction Score
UConn could be primed to win the B12 and they will STILL schedule FCS games. Why? Because everybody does.

Reaction Score
OK.... I plead guilty for not following the conference realignment happenings.

A few questions:
What is the bottom line; are we getting into the B12, or not?
If so, when should I expect the announcement ? When would UConn become a member of the B12?
If not, why the hell not? UConn's football is on the up, and it just won another NCAA basketball championship.

Thanks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What is the bottom line; are we getting into the B12, or not?
If so, when should I expect the announcement ?
Should hear something within 20 minutes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
OK.... I plead guilty for not following the conference realignment happenings.

A few questions:
What is the bottom line; are we getting into the B12, or not? Things are looking promising but in deference to the superstitious individuals in this thread we’ve been down this road before. You can be like me and be optimistic and not afraid to declare it or be scared and crawl into a hole until the outcome is definite. Up to you.

If so, when should I expect the announcement ? There has been a poster named GoKU that many if not most have dismissed his information as guesswork. I don’t subscribe to that opinion. He has indicated we will know by the end of this week or early next week. The hold up is if U of Ai is joining and if a third school from the PAC will be added to partner with UConn. GoKU believes it’s either two or four with the fourth being Arizona State.

When would UConn become a member of the B12? Probably 2024.
If not, why the hell not? UConn's football is on the up, and it just won another NCAA basketball championship.

Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom