Press Conference by Tennessee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Press Conference by Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If Diamond is/stays healthy, I think she can carry any team, and especially a solid team to the finals. Just like Angel M carried Louisville- with less talent in supporting cast.
I agree. You combine that athletic ability with the knowledge she talked about. That's a dangerous combination.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
LV fans - how many years has it been since you've had a relatively injury free team? Must seem like forever.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
wash, rinse, repeat

This is an OT response.

Earlier this year I read an article in Bloomberg Businessweek on the impact words can have on the success or failure of companies. One example cited was the introduction of the word "repeat" on the instructions of one company's shampoo. Adding the word "repeat" to the label was the only change the company made - the product itself stayed exactly the same.

Within one years, sales were up by nearly 80%.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
LV fans - how many years has it been since you've had a relatively injury free team? Must seem like forever.

Let's go back 12 years:

2015/16 - Nared (broken hand)
2014/15 - Izzy (ACL), Jasmine Jones (concussion), Mercedes (feet), Bashaara (shoulder)
2013/14 - Ariel (concussion), Mercedes (feet)
2012/13 - Draya (shoulder)
2011/12 - Kamiko Williams (ACL), Taber Spani (back), Kelley Cain (knees)
2010/11 - Lyssi Brewer (Achilles), Lauren Avant (shoulder)
2009/10 - Faith Dupree (back), Bjorklund (back)
2008/09 - Kelley Cain (knees), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Cait McMahan (knee)
2007/08 - Parker (shoulder), Baugh (ACL)
2006/07 - injury free
2005/06 - Hornbuckle (broken wrist)
2004/05 - Parker (ACL), Spencer (ACL), Alex Fuller (ACL)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
still could have made it to atleast the Elite 8 every year with all that other support...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I thought Holly seemed uncomfortable. Maybe she was excited, but she struck me as being uncomfortable.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree. You combine that athletic ability with the knowledge she talked about. That's a dangerous combination.
I watched how prolific she was in the post season her Freshman year- even though she was really really hurting badly. I was really really impressed with her! I hope she stays or gets healthy and we get to see the best of her- she's gifted!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I edited this a bit to just highlight the major injuries that really changed the tide/potential outcome of the season:

2014/15 - Izzy (ACL), Jasmine Jones (concussion), Mercedes (feet)
2013/14 - Ariel Massengale(concussion), Mercedes (feet)
2012/13 - were pretty injury free, had a season where expectations were surpassed
2011/12 - Nothing tragic, but this was the team that dealt with the publicity after Pat announced her dementia
2010/11 - Brewer was a very good player in 2010 but was derailed by injury. Same with Cain, who was one of the better centers in the nation as a sophomore.
2009/10 - Vicki Baugh was still not 100%, they were pretty healthy and had a great team that year
2008/09 - Kelley Cain (knees), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Cait McMahan (knee), Amber Gray. Without Baugh and McMahon they had no point guard and no leadership outside of Alex Fuller.
2007/08 - Cain and McMahon had to red shirt, and Parker was injured toward the end of the season but the team was pretty healthy, and Tennessee had one of its best times ever
2006/07 - healthy, won a title
2005/06 - Hornbuckle (broken wrist), SWG quit, Fuller was injured a good part of the season.
2004/05 - Parker (ACL), Spencer (ACL), Alex Fuller (ACL), Loree Moore was injured the first half of the season, SWG was injured most of the season.
2003/04- Loree Moore ACL mid season

Bad luck indeed, I'm hoping for a healthier team this season but realistically you have Diamond, Russell, Carter, Nared and others who have all been injury prone or aren't 100%. Hoping for the best, but realistically Tennessee will have to battle through some injuries.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I edited this a bit to just highlight the major injuries that really changed the tide/potential outcome of the season:

2014/15 - Izzy (ACL), Jasmine Jones (concussion), Mercedes (feet)
2013/14 - Ariel Massengale(concussion), Mercedes (feet)
2012/13 - were pretty injury free, had a season where expectations were surpassed
2011/12 - Nothing tragic, but this was the team that dealt with the publicity after Pat announced her dementia
2010/11 - Brewer was a very good player in 2010 but was derailed by injury. Same with Cain, who was one of the better centers in the nation as a sophomore.
2009/10 - Vicki Baugh was still not 100%, they were pretty healthy and had a great team that year
2008/09 - Kelley Cain (knees), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Cait McMahan (knee), Amber Gray. Without Baugh and McMahon they had no point guard and no leadership outside of Alex Fuller.
2007/08 - Cain and McMahon had to red shirt, and Parker was injured toward the end of the season but the team was pretty healthy, and Tennessee had one of its best times ever
2006/07 - healthy, won a title
2005/06 - Hornbuckle (broken wrist), SWG quit, Fuller was injured a good part of the season.
2004/05 - Parker (ACL), Spencer (ACL), Alex Fuller (ACL), Loree Moore was injured the first half of the season, SWG was injured most of the season.
2003/04- Loree Moore ACL mid season

Bad luck indeed, I'm hoping for a healthier team this season but realistically you have Diamond, Russell, Carter, Nared and others who have all been injury prone or aren't 100%. Hoping for the best, but realistically Tennessee will have to battle through some injuries.
It's amazing how precarious everything is and what has to happen to win a NC!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
UT has undoubtedly had a lot of injuries. Does anyone think maybe they need to change their Strength and Conditioning Coach/Trainer? I'm not in the medical profession, but could that have an effect?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's amazing how precarious everything is and what has to happen to win a NC!

It really is just case by case/season by season:
2015-losing Harrison was the difference maker, as Tennessee only had Graves in the post and this crushed any title hopes (although I don't think anyone realistically thought UT had a shot at a title even with Harrison..)

2014-Losing starting point guard Massengale midseason was brutal. She was having a great year prior to injury, and this aided Tennessee's early exit.

2013-they had a great year considering expectations. No one thought they'd take the SEC crown and come close to making the Final Four

2012-this was a rough year with Pat's dementia. That said, injuries weren't the difference maker

2011-injuries to their posts had a big impact. Cain and Brewer were studs in 2010 and were shells of themselves in 2011. Their lack of health could have made a difference to get to the final four.

2010-great season for Tennessee. Lost to Griner and Co after having a lead relatively deep into the 2nd half, but they finished a stellar 34-3 after a dismal 2009 season.

2009-no upperclassmen or sophomores who saw minutes outside of Bjorklund and Fuller. Injuries to Baugh and McMahon retiring really hurt, I think they at least make the Sweet 16 with a point guard and Vicki Baugh.

2008-Injury to Parker could have derailed UT but Bobbitt, Auguste, Anosike and Baugh stepped up huge.

2007-Healthy, great year for UT

2006-I think this could have been Tennessee's best team ever...SWG quitting was a major blow, Hornbuckle'a broken wrist crushed the season's dreams. Fuller was also unhealthy much of the year, and they received a rough draw for the regionals.

2005-injuries were the only thing preventing Tennessee from a title this year. Add in Parker and they win a title.

2004-Losing Moore midseason was tough to recover from. Butts was great and stepped up, but Moore would have helped immensely against Connecticut.

When Tennessee has had point guards or star players injured, it has derailed their seasons lead into disappointing finishes, relative to expectations. When Tennessee has been healthy, they have been very good and have put together successful seasons.

Their recruiting efforts haven't been up to par compared to Connecticut. Connecticut hasn't faced as many derailing injuries as Tennessee, but when they have lost key players, it hasn't affected them that much because they have stockpiled talent waiting on the bench or other stud players to take over. 2014, even with an injured Tuck and KML, Connecticut had 4 other All Americans on the floor and another future WNBA starter off the bench. 2009 they lose a role player in Doty and EDD leaves before the season starts, but they have 3 All Americans in the lineup still.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
It really is just case by case/season by season:
2015-losing Harrison was the difference maker, as Tennessee only had Graves in the post and this crushed any title hopes (although I don't think anyone realistically thought UT had a shot at a title even with Harrison..)

2014-Losing starting point guard Massengale midseason was brutal. She was having a great year prior to injury, and this aided Tennessee's early exit.

2013-they had a great year considering expectations. No one thought they'd take the SEC crown and come close to making the Final Four

2012-this was a rough year with Pat's dementia. That said, injuries weren't the difference maker

2011-injuries to their posts had a big impact. Cain and Brewer were studs in 2010 and were shells of themselves in 2011. Their lack of health could have made a difference to get to the final four.

2010-great season for Tennessee. Lost to Griner and Co after having a lead relatively deep into the 2nd half, but they finished a stellar 34-3 after a dismal 2009 season.

2009-no upperclassmen or sophomores who saw minutes outside of Bjorklund and Fuller. Injuries to Baugh and McMahon retiring really hurt, I think they at least make the Sweet 16 with a point guard and Vicki Baugh.

2008-Injury to Parker could have derailed UT but Bobbitt, Auguste, Anosike and Baugh stepped up huge.

2007-Healthy, great year for UT

2006-I think this could have been Tennessee's best team ever...SWG quitting was a major blow, Hornbuckle'a broken wrist crushed the season's dreams. Fuller was also unhealthy much of the year, and they received a rough draw for the regionals.

2005-injuries were the only thing preventing Tennessee from a title this year. Add in Parker and they win a title.

2004-Losing Moore midseason was tough to recover from. Butts was great and stepped up, but Moore would have helped immensely against Connecticut.

When Tennessee has had point guards or star players injured, it has derailed their seasons lead into disappointing finishes, relative to expectations. When Tennessee has been healthy, they have been very good and have put together successful seasons.

Their recruiting efforts haven't been up to par compared to Connecticut. Connecticut hasn't faced as many derailing injuries as Tennessee, but when they have lost key players, it hasn't affected them that much because they have stockpiled talent waiting on the bench or other stud players to take over. 2014, even with an injured Tuck and KML, Connecticut had 4 other All Americans on the floor and another future WNBA starter off the bench. 2009 they lose a role player in Doty and EDD leaves before the season starts, but they have 3 All Americans in the lineup still.
Yes- we've got a lot to be thankful for!!!

Reaction Score

Prior to losing Massengale tenn went 14-4. During that stretch they played 5 ranked opponents and went 2-3. After the Fla game in which Massengale was hurt, Tenn went 14-2. They played 7 games against ranked opponents and went 5-2. While her loss was felt it was hardly decisive.

Reaction Score
UT has undoubtedly had a lot of injuries. Does anyone think maybe they need to change their Strength and Conditioning Coach/Trainer? I'm not in the medical profession, but could that have an effect?
I believe the trainers can have a big impact on the health of a team. It wouldn't surprise me if some of Tennessee's health woes stemmed from the turmoil created by Heather Mason's firing and Jenny Moshak's early retirement.

To me, much of UConn's success can be attributed to Rosemary Ragle. The staff and players seem to have complete faith in her abilities and advice. Knowing when a player should sit out or when it's ok to play on an injury plus rehab skills is key to keeping a player on the court.

Recall last year's NC game, when Stewart rolled her ankle. When interviewed, Breanna said it hurt, but Rosemary taped her up and she was good to go. It was obvious Breanna had complete faith in Rosemary. There seems to be a psychological component to injury that is the difference between a player being able to play vs. sitting on the bench with a bag of ice.

I also wonder if during the recruiting process, players physical systems are evaluated in relation to the expected rigors of playing D1 ball. It wouldn't surprise me if players are passed over because of physical limitations uncovered by the medical staff. Another component of why some players might not be offered. It really surprised me that the TN coaching staff had no idea one of their players was suffering serious foot problems her entire freshman year.

To steal a maxim, I'm so glad we have Rosemary and you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom