Preference: BE 0-7/1-6; P Fired or BE 2-5/3-4; P Stays? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Preference: BE 0-7/1-6; P Fired or BE 2-5/3-4; P Stays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe this is the exact difference in how we all feel about this topic. If you have personal connections to people on the current team (short term) than I would be in your position. I do not have any connections and am more concerned with the long term.

After seeing what they go through and the commitment they give to the program I can't feel any other way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is theater of the absurd-wanting UConn to tank for a coaching change. Next you'll be telling us to wear 'Aints bags over our heads. I'm going to the game Saturday to cheer the kids on. Hopefully they will rise above the poor leadership.

No just wear blue. If you don't HFD will 'mark his territory' around your tailgate in blue solo cups. (note: cups are filled with urine)

Reaction Score
The only way PP treading water and keeping his job is a good thing is if he can somehow manage to recruit good players. That way when the next guy comes in it won't be a complete mess like it was when PP came in. How you recruit good players to this offensive system is anyone's guess.

Yes. God forbid the next coach is stuck inheriting the defending Big East champion.

Reaction Score
Let's just say that we lose out. And that leads to a change. I might be happy about it when it is over but I won't like it while it is happening. I understand it is semantics but for me it is an important distinction.

And...it isn't like we know what is awaiting us. It could get worse.

No one here knows that P gets fired if we finish 4-8. No one here knows that P is back with GDL if we go 6-6 and win a minor bowl game. The Colts fans at least knew what finishing last would get them. You have not one clue.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No one here knows that P gets fired if we finish 4-8. No one here knows that P is back with GDL if we go 6-6 and win a minor bowl game. The Colts fans at least knew what finishing last would get them. You have not one clue.

Yeah, that's why this a hypothetical situation. I'm rooting for UConn to win, but in the back of my mind I will be thinking of the long term goal. Nobody knows what a certain record would get us, but I'm just tossing out what I think would be probable outcomes.

I only used the Colts as a recent example.

How about the New Orleans Hornets? I'm sure they have die-hard fans. Wonder if they were rooting hard at the end of the season or did they realize the worse they did, the better chance they had at improving their future by winning the Draft lotto? They certainly had no idea they would win the lottery, but what they did know was that trading off short terms wins for the long term future wasn't the way to get them anywhere.

Reaction Score
The only way PP treading water and keeping his job is a good thing is if he can somehow manage to recruit good players. That way when the next guy comes in it won't be a complete mess like it was when PP came in. How you recruit good players to this offensive system is anyone's guess.

So what you are saying our defense is a mess and moving Foley wasn't the cause of our problems on the OL. Not to mention GDL's offense also causing problems with the OL. Is that what you are saying?

Reaction Score
I agree with you and I also think he will be back next year as well (I am hoping Manuel pulls the trigger...but reality says he will bet 1 more year with an 8-9 win total required to stay past yr 3). I think we will see some serious changes in the offensive coaching staff next year (a new OC and all former Edsall Asst's let go if not the entire staff replaced) if we aren't bowl eligible.

First off, I hate that it has even come to this, but at this point going 1-6 or 0-7 and ensuring Pasqualoni is fired is what I think is the best option for the program.

I think 5-7 (2-5) buys P another year and 6-6 (3-4) and a garbage bowl game certainly assures P will be back for another year.

I know this will elicit a lot of 'why even go to the games if you want to lose?' or 'what type of fan roots for his team to lose?' responses.

I guess my response to those are that keeping P maintains the status quo, it maintains a level of mediocrity and it further cements fan apathy. The program is bigger than one season. It can overcome bad seasons. It has before.

I can deal with losing, if there is a clear direction and goal the program is heading towards. There has to be hope in the fanbase that things can and will get better. Right now, I feel like it is only going to get worse.

Currently, my tailgate crew is dropping like flies and these are the same people that have driven to Toronto and Charlotte with and have flown to Birmingham and Phoenix with. The casual fans in the group? Forget about it. Even I find myself questioning why I go when the direction of the program seems so bleak.

Have at it.

Reaction Score
I would never "root" for them to win, but I am not going to go to the game or watch the game and if they lose, so be it. Maybe if only 20,000 people show up that sends a better message than booing or rooting for losses ever could. I'm not sure there is a good answer to the question, but I know if the end result is that PP remains then we will be going through this exercise again next year

Reaction Score
I would never "root" for them to win, but I am not going to go to the game or watch the game and if they lose, so be it. Maybe if only 20,000 people show up that sends a better message than booing or rooting for losses ever could. I'm not sure there is a good answer to the question, but I know if the end result is that PP remains then we will be going through this exercise again next year

I hope no one boos the coaches when the team comes out as I don't boo at any college games except the refs. I don't want the team to think we are booing them, ever. I love the team.

Reaction Score

Actually, you came a lot closer than Blue Whale did to the definition of "frontrunner".

Reaction Score
Here's a potential compromise. Fire PP no matter how the season plays out. He was a bad hire and never should have been here to begin with. He has shown us zero thus far in 1.5 seasons. He will set this program back a decade before he has departed. Now he goes, not later.

Reaction Score
Here's a potential compromise. Fire PP no matter how the season plays out. He was a bad hire and never should have been here to begin with. He has shown us zero thus far in 1.5 seasons. He will set this program back a decade before he has departed. Now he goes, not later.

Since you fervently believe that hiring the right coach fixes everything, it wouldn't matter if we end up 3-9 and 0-12 next year if afterwards we hire the right guy. No? This whole "set the program back a decade" talk is just mystifying to me, especially since the people that say it most are people that think that Edsall did a bad job and we should have been a National Championship contender from day 1 because Jim Calhoun did it in basketball.

Reaction Score
For the players and how hard they work I want as many wins as we can get. Becoming the laughing stock of the league is not what these players deserve. The Coaching stuff will sort itself out if we are to believe the Pres. and AD about striving for excellence with the FB program. If we can't beat Temple at the Rent then I don't see how we win at Cuse (indoors/Friday night/loud). Hopefully we protect our home field at least. If Deleone screws up this w/e then maybe one change will occur sooner.

Reaction Score
Since you fervently believe that hiring the right coach fixes everything, it wouldn't matter if we end up 3-9 and 0-12 next year if afterwards we hire the right guy. No? This whole "set the program back a decade" talk is just mystifying to me, especially since the people that say it most are people that think that Edsall did a bad job and we should have been a National Championship contender from day 1 because Jim Calhoun did it in basketball.

Huh? FYI, college sports (football & basketball) are nothing if not about the head coaches. Calipari to Kentucky = final fours & NC's. If it ends up elsewhere later, so be it. Not exactly like UConn hoops is holier than thou at the moment. It's all about the coach.

Reaction Score
Huh? FYI, college sports (football & basketball) are nothing if not about the head coaches. Calipari to Kentucky = final fours & NC's. If it ends up elsewhere later, so be it. Not exactly like UConn hoops is holier than thou at the moment. It's all about the coach.

That's my point. It can't set the program back "a decade" if by hiring the right coach fixes it within 1-2 years. So you wanting PP out by the end of the week doesn't really do anything other than make you feel better. The real issue is that whenever the new coach is hired, it is the right guy. I know you want it now because you want it now, but don't act like there is a closing window that if we don't hire Les Miles within 65 days we might as well disband the program.

Reaction Score
I'm going to root for the team to win every single game. And when the losses inevitably pile up, I'll think of the silver lining. Which is the belief that every loss gets us that much closer to a new OC, and HC if necessary.

Reaction Score
I don't want Edsall back. But i'll take another "lucky" coach who "can't recruit" if it means we win more than we lose, go to 5 bowl games, 1 BCS bid, and 2 BE championships every 10 years.

At this point, I just want a coach that can win back to back games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I want to beat Temple. And then I will want to beat Syracuse. What I want to happen long term with this program will never, never, cause me not to want them to win the next game.

correct answer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Catch 22. If we win, go 4-2 from here, and head to a bowl, then PP did something right or changed his approach. If he doesn't change his approach, we will struggle and he will be canned. I do not believe a scenario exists where PP coaches as he has been and wins enough to be retained. So we of course root for wins, which means rooting for PP to make the offensive changes that need to be made.

This is not personal. I want a coach who provides a style and game plan that allows UConn to win. I don't give a cr*p if it is PP or somebody else.

Reaction Score
Catch 22. If we win, go 4-2 from here, and head to a bowl, then PP did something right or changed his approach. If he doesn't change his approach, we will struggle and he will be canned. I do not believe a scenario exists where PP coaches as he has been and wins enough to be retained. So we of course root for wins, which means rooting for PP to make the offensive changes that need to be made.

This is not personal. I want a coach who provides a style and game plan that allows UConn to win. I don't give a cr*p if it is PP or somebody else.

Of course it's not personal. I hope P wins out and he coaches here for a decade if he wants with GDL as his right hand man. When that doesn't happen, we'll deal with that in Dec.

Reaction Score
I think the time is now to pounce on the the collective suckiness of northeast football. UConn has to position itself as the school of choice while Syracuse, BCU, and Penn St. are down. Can't do that with HCPP and OCGDL. No high school kids are interested in playing for HCPP as a first choice.

Regardless of the final record, HCPP has to be replaced.

(On the other hand, the administration at UConn might not be interested in committing to being the best college program in the NE.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom