Pre-Season All-Americans: Was ESPN right? | The Boneyard

Pre-Season All-Americans: Was ESPN right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
These were the 1st and 2nd teams chosen in the fall by the nation's leader:

1st team

Stewie
Moriah
N. Davis
T. Mitchell
K. Mitchell

2nd team

DeShields
Tuck
Powers
Turner
Wilson

The obvious correct choice was Stewie. She put up big numbers and played her best in the biggest games. Her team was the best in the nation by a wide margin. I think she'll make the Olympic squad and contribute.

Though her scoring is not all that impressive, and her assists don't come close to leading the nation, I think Moriah is the 2nd best player in the country. She leads, controls tempo, and takes over games, while playing lock-down defense.

I love Nina Davis's game, but I need to think about this. Her scoring dropped from 21.1 to 15.4 ppg; her shooting from .584 to a still very good .536; and her rebounds from 8.3 to 6.3. Some of that is due to having more help this year. Not a slam dunk, in my opinion.

Tiffany Mitchell's scoring was about the same as last year (up from 14.4 to 14.8), but her shooting dropped from .500 to .411 overall and .416 to .350 from the arc. Her rebounding was down slightly (0.3 rpg) and her A/TO dropped from about 1.2 to 1.0. I don't rate her over A'ja Wilson this year.

Kelsey Mitchell put up big numbers again this year, and OSU was a much better team. How do I differentiate among her, Rachel Banham, and Kelsey Plum, all of whom put up roughly comparable numbers?

Regarding the second team choices, Morgan had modest stats but led her team and played very well in big games. Powers had a nice season and has helped MSU to be ranked. Turner and Wilson are both very good, play on top 3 teams, and deserve 1st team consideration.

Diamond has had an ok year statistically, leading her team at about 14 ppg, despite often coming in off the bench. But she shot under .400 overall and under .250 from the arc, and she has an A/TO ratio of about 0.6. Plus her team underachieved in a colossal manner. She may be one of the most athletic players around, but even HM may be generous for this season.

I thought last year's AA selections were spot-on, and the pre-season choices looked reasonable. I think this year's voting is harder.

I know I don't need to ask for your thoughts. ;)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Diamond being left off the SEC teams will mean she is left off the AA teams. I doubt there has ever been a player who was not recognized in their conference who went on to win AA honors.

Reaction Score
Diamond's name stuck out with me as well..... I can think of at least a dozen quick names who would be more deserving.... A one to two asst/TO ratio is not All American stuff...

What she can do like nobody else is create, and stop and pop.... very fluid in that regard

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd actually put Stewie, Moriah, Banham, Plum and Kelsey Mitchell on the 1st team.

On the 2nd team I'd put Ariel Powers, Courtney Williams, Walker Kimbrough and Jillian Alleyne.

If there was a 3rd team, I'd have Turner, Wilson, Tuck, and then 2 out of the following 5: Anigwe (Cal), Martin (Oklahoma State), Coffey (NW), Alston (Ohio State), Alleyne (Oregon State), and Stevens (Duke).

The reason I did it that way is I believe you really do have to reward players who shoulder the majority of the scoring load for their teams. I know Wilson and Turner are the "sexy" choices in that their names are very familiar to those in WCBB circles, but frankly, they didn't to as much for their teams as the other players I put ahead of them.

Is that because they were on such good teams and weren't asked to do as much? Maybe, but you can't reward them IMHO just because you think they are "so" talented...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brionna Jones averaged 15.9 ppg and 9.7 rpg, while shooting an insanely efficient .677, which I believe led the nation.

Shatori Walker-Kimbrough averaged 19.6 ppg and shot an incredible .546 from the arc (and .554 overall).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I predicted earlier in the year that Davis would not be a 1st team AA selection due to the team being better, especially with the influx of young talent in the post. Had Baylor not landed Brown and Mompremier, Davis would probably have similar numbers to last year, but she is playing farther from the basket and taking shots she wasn't asked to take last year. IMO, Alexis Jones and Niya Johnson are stronger AA candidates this season.

Reaction Score
I predicted earlier in the year that Davis would not be a 1st team AA selection due to the team being better, especially with the influx of young talent in the post. Had Baylor not landed Brown and Mompremier, Davis would probably have similar numbers to last year, but she is playing farther from the basket and taking shots she wasn't asked to take last year. IMO, Alexis Jones and Niya Johnson are stronger AA candidates this season.
Looking forward to Baylor's beat-down of Texas tomorrow

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looking forward to Baylor's beat-down of Texas tomorrow

Let's hope so. Baylor is playing incredible ball right now and needs to maintain that level heading into the big dance.

Reaction Score
Let's hope so. Baylor is playing incredible ball right now and needs to maintain that level heading into the big dance.
Yes they are. And Texas is playing soft. Baylor will pummel them tomorrow.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Niya Johonson Baylor's PG deserves All American consideration. The only game Baylor lost was when she didn't play. She' their MVP more so then Nina Davis.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Niya Johonson Baylor's PG deserves All American consideration. The only game Baylor lost was when she didn't play. She' their MVP more so then Nina Davis.
She puts up huge assist numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle