Practice the other day | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Practice the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is it guaranteed that Mo will be a starter?
A few of us on here are "guaranteeing" it. Assuming no injuries. There a some who disagree.

though there's a part of me that would prefer to see Geno go bigger,

6-5 Dolson and 6-4 Stewart with 6-0 KML isn't big enough??

Does anyone have an update on Brianna's condition?
She is hoping to be released soon to fully practice. Sounds like she has been running and shooting but has not been fully released for contact yet. I think the last was they want to get her quad a bit stronger first.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Actually think both Morgan and BB are better options off the bench than Mo. Morgan changes the dynamic in the front court whoever she replaces and BB if healthy and continuing along her growth line is perhaps a better scoring threat than Mo would be. Bria and Mo will set the tone early and get the team running smoothly then BB, Morgan, Chong, and Kiah will introduce the variations as they rotate in.

Uc....couldn't agree more... Morgan and Banks give Geno such flexibility when coming off the bench. Between them they can play all 5 positions, Morgan in the front court and Banks at shooting or point guard. Morgan's summer play in Lithuania was the new normal for her, power rebounding and scoring inside and out.

Likewise, MoJeff played the same role this summer that Geno will need from her this season:
1. Control the offense, distribute the ball and limit turnovers. (Her USA coach had great praise for her.)
2. Play intense defense, harass the opposing point guard and create turnovers/steals.

Regarding MoJeff scoring.....she had 52 steals in 677 minutes last season. Double the minutes and you may very well double the steals. With the new 10 second rule it will probably be even more as teams rush to get past mid court. What percentage of MoJeff steals turn into lay ups? About 75%. With a four guard rotation (most of the time) everyone should be fresh and ready to run, run, run....other than a few shots to keep defenses honest, that is all the scoring needed from MoJeff....:cool: Go Huskies..!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Appreciate your response, Miami...not sure I agree, but we'll see. I was a big BB fan, and only hope she's healing well...one of the quickest first steps to the hoop in the game today, or was, anyway.

Now, on to something more important: Can you (or anyone) educate an old and technology-challenged poster on how one encapsulates another poster's comment, as you did mine, to reference a point one wishes to make here?

Click on reply and be patient for a moment and then make sure response is outside the "[/quote]" at the end of the quoted material. If not your response will also be italicized and will look like part of the original quote. Some make this error persistently and it renders their responses unrecognizable.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When you talk about height remember this. Baylor was tall last season. ND and LVille weren't. UConn was. The difference was coaching development and defense. A lot of coaches can teach offense. Jeff worked his strengths last season against Tenn and Baylor. Neither played perimeter defense. UConn plays defense all over the court. That's the difference.

Reaction Score
I actually enjoy the vol fans comments. They are always good for a chuckle. For instance, MoJeff isn't worthy, but Simmons deserves to be on the Wade watch list. :rolleyes:

Ain't it pathetic?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Click on reply and be patient for a moment and then make sure response is outside the "
" at the end of the quoted material. If not your response will also be italicized and will look like part of the original quote. Some make this error persistently and it renders their responses unrecognizable.[/quote]

photo.JPG

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With MoJeff's ability to blow by people to the hoop that is pretty much taken care of even in the half court.

I agree in part Ice, but your ability to blow by people is diminished if they are playing off of you.

U

UCONNfan1

I actually enjoy the vol fans comments. They are always good for a chuckle. For instance, MoJeff isn't worthy, but Simmons deserves to be on the Wade watch list. :rolleyes:
Thank you. My point exactly. The entertainment factor cannot be overstated!

Reaction Score
Thanks to those who offered tech help!

What makes this particular thread so much fun, of course, is that we enjoy such an embarrassment of riches, especially if BB is healthy. Last season, when I was sufficiently fortunate to have courtside seats at the Final Four in my hometown of New Orleans, the chief "revelation" I came away with from observing up close was the transformation of Morgan to an awesomely intimidating presence on both ends of the court, but especially on defense. Every time a L'ville player she was guarding got the ball, and was confronted by Morgan's physical presence and her staredown, it was quickly passed off..no one wanted to challenge her. Her confidence level just seemed to soar as the season drew to a close. I expect very big things from her this year. Now, if we could just see some of that physicality from Kiah....

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Thanks to those who offered tech help!

What makes this particular thread so much fun, of course, is that we enjoy such an embarrassment of riches, especially if BB is healthy. Last season, when I was sufficiently fortunate to have courtside seats at the Final Four in my hometown of New Orleans, the chief "revelation" I came away with from observing up close was the transformation of Morgan to an awesomely intimidating presence on both ends of the court, but especially on defense. Every time a L'ville player she was guarding got the ball, and was confronted by Morgan's physical presence and her staredown, it was quickly passed off..no one wanted to challenge her. Her confidence level just seemed to soar as the season drew to a close. I expect very big things from her this year. Now, if we could just see some of that physicality from Kiah....

I think that some of us are too quick to assign Morgan to a "come off the bench" role. I simply can't imagine her not starting.

First, the front court -- offense and defense -- of Stef, Stewie and Morgan is simply overwhelming. (Reminiscent of Bird, McHale and Parish.)

Add KLM operating from the perimeter. (And, BTW, I am now convinced that she is 5'10".)

Then either Bria or Moriah. And remember, Bria volunteered to come off the bench during the playoffs last season.

After about five minutes, Geno will start rotating players in-out so several will get "starters' minutes."

As for A'Ja (if/when she comes), I would expect her to play facing the basket (much like Stewie) on offense, but a bit less way out on the perimeter (far fewer treys).

I believe that Morgan is one of the ten best players in wcbb. Whether she gets end of season recognition is up to others. I just think she is just that damned good.

Reaction Score
I think that some of us are too quick to assign Morgan to a "come off the bench" role. I simply can't imagine her not starting.

First, the front court -- offense and defense -- of Stef, Stewie and Morgan is simply overwhelming. (Reminiscent of Bird, McHale and Parish.)

Add KLM operating from the perimeter. (And, BTW, I am now convinced that she is 5'10".)

Then either Bria or Moriah. And remember, Bria volunteered to come off the bench during the playoffs last season.

After about five minutes, Geno will start rotating players in-out so several will get "starters' minutes."

As for A'Ja (if/when she comes), I would expect her to play facing the basket (much like Stewie) on offense, but a bit less way out on the perimeter (far fewer treys).

I believe that Morgan is one of the ten best players in wcbb. Whether she gets end of season recognition is up to others. I just think she is just that damned good.
I suppose the ultimate answer to all of this is that it doesn't make all that much difference who starts, given Geno's predilection for moving confidently to the bench in the early going. I just love the idea of going big at first, with the front line you suggest, getting opponents worn down a bit with intimidating defense, only to have them look up and see a player like MoJeff checking in....ouch - the tempo is about to change! And let's not forget the similar impact that BB brings to the floor...if she comes back with as much quickness as she previously displayed that's more "instant offense." Gotta be disheartening to opponents.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

That front court is very nice ... but the back court is not. KML is a great player and needs to start, but as a guard she is not a great player. Defending faster perimeter players would expose her and while she is not a bad ball handler she is not in the 'guard' class. We may see that lineup on the floor occasionally this year, but not for many minutes. Kelly who was faster and a better passer than KML very seldom got used as a guard in her four years. Offense is all about flow and while the line-up you list has great players, it does not have the guard skills present to provide the engine to the offense. And Geno loves him some guards. Bria volunteered to come off the bench last year and was replaced by another guard, not a wing/forward. And the reason was so Geno had a more potent bench.
Down the line I can see KML maybe being experimented with as a two guard - on the national team Geno tried some lineups where Maya shifted to a guard like role (but only for very short stretches) - but I don't think it is her best position so you would be sitting a very good guard to play one of your best players out of position and reducing his comparative effectiveness. (glad you are not the team coach:cool:)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There were many times KML played with Hartley, Dolson, Stewart and Tuck. You will see many minutes of that lineup as well or Jefferson instead of Hartley.

KML did and will continue to play guard at times.

Reactions: HGN

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There were many times KML played with Hartley, Dolson, Stewart and Tuck. You will see many minutes of that lineup as well or Jefferson instead of Hartley.

KML did and will continue to play guard at times.
I would not consider it an optimum starting line up, however.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As we all express our thoughts so freely (and thoughtfully), then put them into print for posterity, we should be cautioned by what a fellow named Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65 BC-8 BC) said long ago.

We know him as Horace and in his day he was the leading Roman lyric poet during the time of Augustus. His words of wisdom:
"Words once spoke can never be recalled."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kib, you never never heard the whole story. He used watch Augustus play in Minnesota. He used to get into the games so much he was constantly heard screaming over the crowd. Because of this he always had laryngitis and was Horace the next day.

Reaction Score
. . . Horace and in his day he was the leading Roman lyric poet during the time of Augustus. His words of wisdom:
"Words once spoke can never be recalled."

Similar thoughts expressed by Omar Khayyam (via Edward FitzGerald):

The moving finger writes; and, having writ
moves on: nor all thy piety nor wit
shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
nor all thy tears wash out a word of it.

He also wrote:

A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and UConn Women's Hoops
Who needs thou. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members