PP's Contract and Buyout Clause | The Boneyard

PP's Contract and Buyout Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Uconn website:

Here's the address: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011411aae.html

CONTRACT PERIOD: The term of the contract is January 14, 2011 through December 31, 2015.

SALARY/PUBLIC RELATIONS AND MEDIA APPEARANCES: The contract calls for an annual base salary, as well as, annual payments for institutional public relations and media appearances. The following is a year-by-year summary of those payments:

Period Base Salary Public Relations and Media Fees Total
January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $350,000* $1,150,000 $1,500,000
January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012 $375,000 $1,225,000 $1,600,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $400,000 $1,300,000 $1,700,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $425,000 $1,375,000 $1,800,000
January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015 $450,000 $1,450,000 $1,900,000

In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the Coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the University's obligation to the Coach.

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $1,250,000
January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012 $1,000,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $750,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $600,000
January 1, 2015-August 1, 2015 $400,000

My feeling is that Warde has to give PP one more year. Through the 2013 season. There will be some serious damage to the program by then, and he will have to put a stop to it. The buyout will be $1,000,000, maybe less if PP takes it all up front.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
It's peanuts compared to the pain,I bet Burton could that out tomorrow with joy!

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that for about 1.75 mil we can get rid of the whole lot of them this year.

Reaction Score
I just read on the espn board that there is a "fire pasqualoni" page on Facebook. Anyone seen it?

Reaction Score
Whatever it costs fire HCPP. He will set this program back years. He's actually making me rethink Edsall. Edsall's offense was more dynamic. I can't believe I just posted that.

Reaction Score
I take comfort in the fact that Warde Manual is a football guy having played in the big time at Michigan. He understands the nuances of the game and is not a pencil pusher like Hathaway. He knows more about football than any AD we have had at UConn. If he goes to Herbst and says a change is necessary then something will happen. If things continue like this, I think you will see a change in OC after this year. UConn could get a top rated OC with the handshake deal that if successful the new OC will be HC is a couple of years.

Would love to see a shift in play calling responsibilities this year, but I don't know who on the current staff has that experience.

Reaction Score
I take comfort in the fact that Warde Manual is a football guy having played in the big time at Michigan. He understands the nuances of the game and is not a pencil pusher like Hathaway. He knows more about football than any AD we have had at UConn. If he goes to Herbst and says a change is necessary then something will happen. If things continue like this, I think you will see a change in OC after this year. UConn could get a top rated OC with the handshake deal that if successful the new OC will be HC is a couple of years.

Would love to see a shift in play calling responsibilities this year, but I don't know who on the current staff has that experience.

Warde was standing right in front of our section and given the snoozer of a second half, we were watching his body language. He did not appear to be all that pleased. My guess is that he gets permission to bring in his guy next year

Reaction Score
Where is the thread where everyone says what they will kick in for the buyout?

Reaction Score
It's peanuts compared to the pain,I bet Burton could that out tomorrow with joy!

Well, we need a whole bunch of "Burtons" to get the $hits then and fast. someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that only the base salary is paid through the university coffers. The rest of the compensation comes out of the Athletic Department from the media, branding, pr contracts.

So we not only need buy-out coin, we need additional funding for higher salaries for head coach and assistants.

Reaction Score
Well, we need a whole bunch of "Burtons" to get the $hits then and fast. someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that only the base salary is paid through the university coffers. The rest of the compensation comes out of the Athletic Department from the media, branding, pr contracts.

So we not only need buy-out coin, we need additional funding for higher salaries for head coach and assistants.

The reality is that there are not enough of them to do things like "Buy out HCPP" and build the basketball facility at the same time. Let's go people, get rich and start throwing money around!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Warde was standing right in front of our section and given the snoozer of a second half, we were watching his body language. He did not appear to be all that pleased. My guess is that he gets permission to bring in his guy next year

Who’s Permission? He is the Head Honcho and doesn't need anyone's permission so long as the issue is wholly contained within the Athletic Department.

Reaction Score
Who’s Permission? He is the Head Honcho and doesn't need anyone's permission so long as the issue is wholly contained within the Athletic Department.
President Herbst I would imagine. She had a recruit in her office, I think she'll have something to say about a hire as important as this.

Husky25

Reaction Score
President Herbst I would imagine. She had a recruit in her office, I think she'll have something to say about a hire as important as this.

Now that I think about it, you are probably right merely because of the amount of money involved. I don't understand why she would have recruits in her office, but whatever...Different issue for another time...

(Commence hypothetical):In Not-For-Profits and Gov't. funded operations, a buyout of this size and infrequency probably involves money from funds other than the University's general purpose fund. Ergo, Herbst will probably have to present to and have it approved by the Board of Trustees.

However, providing approval, if it came down to merely giving Coach P an ultimatum on his Co-ordinator (Either he goes or you both go), the ultimate decision is most likely on Mr. Manuel.

Reaction Score
Now that I think about it, you are probably right merely because of the amount of money involved. I don't understand why she would have recruits in her office, but whatever...Different issue for another time...

(Commence hypothetical):In Not-For-Profits and Gov't. funded operations, a buyout of this size and infrequency probably involves money from funds other than the University's general purpose fund. Ergo, Herbst will probably have to present to and have it approved by the Board of Trustees.

However, providing approval, if it came down to merely giving Coach P an ultimatum on his Co-ordinator (Either he goes or you both go), the ultimate decision is most likely on Mr. Manuel.

Again...until someone proves me wrong, I still believe that only the base salary is covered by the University "general purpose fund" - everything else comes out of Athletic Department funds (Media, Advertising/Branding, Personal Services, Charitable Donations, etc...). That's why it's just not so easy in an area with limited "Burtons" who can money".

Husky25

Reaction Score
Again...until someone proves me wrong, I still believe that only the base salary is covered by the University "general purpose fund" - everything else comes out of Athletic Department funds (Media, Advertising/Branding, Personal Services, Charitable Donations, etc...). That's why it's just not so easy in an area with limited "Burtons" who can money".

Very well may be true. That is why I littered my post with "Hypothicals" and "Probablys"... I am educated enough in fund accounting to be dangerous. But every Muni, NFP, State Funded, Quasi-Gov'tal Org. etc. still has their own nuances.

Reaction Score
Very well may be true. That is why I littered my post with "Hypothicals" and "Probablys"... I am educated enough in fund accounting to be dangerous. But every Muni, NFP, State Funded, Quasi-Gov'tal Org. etc. still has their own nuances.

Wasn't pointed @ you specifically... There are folks who think it's like pushing the easy button (well - I guess it is if you have T Boone or Phil Knight making it rain $$ for the program).

Reaction Score
I find it hilarious that a handful of bloggers on a self created, unofficial UConn forum think that they can whine & bitch their way into having a head coach replaced a year and a half into the rebuilding process with which he was hired. Never mind the fact that he has the AD's blessing, along with a vast majority of the UConn nation, regional high school coaches and the respect of not only Big East coaches but college and pro coaches nation wide. Have you guys ever stopped to think that just maybe it's the talent that needs to catch up to the coaching and not the other way around? Keep in mind that UConn is a D-1 program just a tad over a decade old and that these guys are stepping up the recruiting despite the fact that there is no history or legacy other than a couple minor bowl wins and one BCS bowl appearance. This isn't Michigan people!! There is no storied past for prospective recruits to drool over. There is no rabid fan base with waiting lists for tickets. No sellouts. No standing room only, people clinging to the rafters home game crowds. You need to give these guys more than one freshman recruiting class to get this thing turned around. Now should they be 5-0. Of course they should be. Arkansas should be 5-0. There's a bunch of teams that have already lost games that they had no business losing. It's college football folks and anything can happen here

Also, did you guys ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff didn't want to pummel the AD's last school and they purposely put on the breaks so that a lot of folks behind the scenes could save face? And for that you want to get rid of these guys? Maybe the truth is this staff has more class than a lot of you deserve.

pj

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing that the coaching staff stopped scoring to save face for Buffalo because our AD used to work there.

Other than that, I'm supportive of what you say. I don't think P should be replaced, even if this year is a failure. But it will be very disappointing if we don't make a bowl or show signs of significant progress on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom