Potentially The Best WCBB of All Time | The Boneyard

Potentially The Best WCBB of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn-Ohio State is the game that will send WCBB popularity through the roof. It will be entertaining beyond measure. A game pitting a great dominant team and program against a prolific scoring team with an incredible backcourt scoring tandem, one of whom might be the most talented player in WCBB this year.

UConn has not have faced an opponent as talented as Kelsey Mitchell since the last time Diana Taurasi attended practice; Incredible ball handling, incredible range, and incredible versatility. Mitchell has all the tools and then some; A superstar with a green light.

This game should be every bit as good as UConn-Tennessee 1995 and UConn-Tennessee 2 in 2000.

UConn has never faced a backcourt duo as lethally prolific as Kelsey Mitchell and Ameryst Alston. Diggins/McBride? McBride/Loyd? Prince/Ajavon? Sampson/Jones? Staley/Cardoza?

Ohio State scores from every position on the floor.

Far too much has been made here about Ohio State's paltry 3 assists against South Carolina. Ohio State's offense, much like Duke of the early 90's, relies on the dribble drive to create opportunities. Plus, they averaged 15 assists per game last year.

The fact that Ohio State put up 80 points on the second best team in the country on the Gamecocks' home floor with a mere 33 percent shooting, 3 assists, and 18 turnovers is mind blowingly scary. Scary because any improvement in these stats pushes the Buckeyes close to the century mark. And Shayla Cooper cannot be expected to go 2-17 ever again this year. She shot close to 50% last year; Which means, she is due.

Can UConn defend Ohio State? That is a question that will surely be answered tonight. I do not believe UConn has enough depth to try to force a slowdown of the pace. If either Nurse or Jefferson get into foul trouble, it will create an even greater Buckeye scoring barrage. Will Coach Auriemma extend the defense to defend the prolific three point shooting? Given his expressed sentiment toward the three, my assumption is that the strategy will be to force Ohio State to shoot inside the arc. UConn has the better team and great coaching. Both aspects will have to be on fine display if UConn is going to emerge victorious. Ohio State's defense will not stop the Huskies from scoring, but it is not bad and there is a ton of effort.

It is totally understandable how some WBB fans do not like up and down, seemingly helter skelter dribbling and shooting. Such basketball within the realm of talented scorers like Pete Maravich, Calvin Murphy, and Austin Carr may not be pleasing to the purists, but for pure basketball entertainment, could not be more fun to witness. Such action is what Mitchell and Alston will be bringing to the floor tonight against UConn. This will be as entertaining a game as WCBB has ever seen. It will erase any and all skepticism about WBB. Great team game planning against great players. A match made in WBB heaven with a lot of scoring. As much as I would love to predict the upset, it will be 91-82 UConn. UConn's experience in big games will be the difference.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Your name should be "VaBuckeyeFan".... :D

Seriously though, good write up. You're correct, tOSU is a dangerous team and that backcourt is impressive. I would be disappointed if this team didn't give UCONN a good game tonight. I think a lot of BYers are underestimating the Buckeyes.

I'm definitely a believer, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
UConn-Ohio State is the game that will send WCBB popularity through the roof. It will be entertaining beyond measure. A game pitting a great dominant team and program against a prolific scoring team with an incredible backcourt scoring tandem, one of whom might be the most talented player in WCBB this year.

UConn has not have faced an opponent as talented as Kelsey Mitchell since the last time Diana Taurasi attended practice; Incredible ball handling, incredible range, and incredible versatility. Mitchell has all the tools and then some; A superstar with a green light.

This game should be every bit as good as UConn-Tennessee 1995 and UConn-Tennessee 2 in 2000.

UConn has never faced a backcourt duo as lethally prolific as Kelsey Mitchell and Ameryst Alston. Diggins/McBride? McBride/Loyd? Prince/Ajavon? Sampson/Jones? Staley/Cardoza?

Far too much has been made here about Ohio State's paltry 3 assists against South Carolina. Ohio State's offense, much like Duke of the early 90's, relies on the dribble drive to create opportunities. Plus, they averaged 15 assists per game last year.

The fact that Ohio State put up 80 points on the second best team in the country on the Gamecocks' home floor with a mere 33 percent shooting, 3 assists, and 18 turnovers is mind blowingly scary. Scary because any improvement in these stats pushes the Buckeyes close to the century mark. And Shayla Cooper cannot be expected to go 2-17 ever again this year. She shot close to 50% last year; Which means, she is due.

Can UConn defend Ohio State? That is a question that will surely be answered tonight. I do not believe UConn has enough depth to try to force a slowdown of the pace. If either Nurse or Jefferson get into foul trouble, it will create an even greater Buckeye scoring barrage. Will Coach Auriemma extend the defense to defend the prolific three point shooting? Given his expressed sentiment toward the three, my assumption is that the strategy will be to force Ohio State to shoot inside the arc. UConn has the better team and great coaching. Both aspects will have to be on fine display if UConn is going to emerge victorious. Ohio State's defense will not stop the Huskies from scoring, but it is not bad and there is a ton of effort.

It is totally understandable how some WBB fans do not like up and down, seemingly helter skelter dribbling and shooting. Such basketball within the realm of talented scorers like Pete Maravich, Calvin Murphy, and Austin Carr may not be pleasing to the purists, but for pure basketball entertainment, could not be more fun to witness. Such action is what Mitchell and Alston will be bringing to the floor tonight against UConn. This will be as entertaining a game as WCBB has ever seen. It will erase any and all skepticism about WBB. Great team game planning against great players. A match made in WBB heaven with a lot of scoring. As much as I would love to predict the upset, it will be 91-82 UConn. UConn's experience in big games will be the difference.
You can be "mind blowingly scared" if you wish. I will enjoy the game with the usaual result.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about this game. The hardest part is discerning whether that feeling is strictly basketball related or whether it is, in fact, a result of my Ravioli-Zucchini pigout last night.

Reaction Score
I was at the Stanford game last year when most on the BY(including me ) were expecting a 20-30 point blowout. Stanford played with the intensity of a national championship game while we were somewhat flat, KML was probably ill and we were trying to integrate 2 new starters. I think this year's team won't be complacent, our defense will be much better than last year's (Gabby isn't Saniya) and Stewie and Moriah will not let us lose. At least a 15 point victory.

Reaction Score
Don't even think about a lose tonight. Stewie and Mo will be big, they can not stop Tuck and if Nurse doesn't get in foul trouble I think the D will be great. Hope both teams play good games, can't wait to see how Mitchell shots tonight with the Huskies in her face. 88-71 UConn.

Reaction Score
Don't even think about a lose tonight. Stewie and Mo will be big, they can not stop Tuck and if Nurse doesn't get in foul trouble I think the D will be great. Hope both teams play good games, can't wait to see how Mitchell shots tonight with the Huskies in her face. 88-71 UConn.
Nurse had a lot of charging calls last year because she was so aggressive going to the basket. This year in the exhibition games she showed a nice pull up jumper instead of crashing into the defender, if she keeps that up I don't think she will get into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
90-72 but wouldn't be shocked if it were single digits. (Just noticed that Roundball fan is predicting almost exactly the same score--great minds ...)

I think a loss is very unlikely, but OSU is a better team than Stanford was last year, so you never know!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
UConn, 71-49. Although it's obviously not based on much current evidence, seeing as how we're talking the first game of the season, I just can't see anybody scoring that much on UConn.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hope the MOV is at least 10. I like having that streak intact.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was at the Stanford game last year when most on the BY(including me ) were expecting a 20-30 point blowout. Stanford played with the intensity of a national championship game while we were somewhat flat, KML was probably ill and we were trying to integrate 2 new starters. I think this year's team won't be complacent, our defense will be much better than last year's (Gabby isn't Saniya) and Stewie and Moriah will not let us lose. At least a 15 point victory.
I'm a little uneasy too, considering that OSU is leaps and bounds better than the exhibition game opponents. But the practice opponents are better than most teams, and Geno's drills are tougher than games. I think you make a case for the difference between this year and last year. I concur.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

yeah, yeah, sure, sure

Reaction Score
UConn blowing out the number 7 team, at their home court, and the Huskies' 6-5 big girl won't be suiting up til December. Not a good omen for a competitive WCBB season..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Just for you ....... I know you meant well.... but

Keyshawn.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I went to get dinner this afternoon.... and there was a long line in the takeout section.... I was thinking to myself... i dont mind waiting as long as I get home to catch the beginning of this game..:cool:

Reaction Score
I was hoping for a huge boost for WCBB. It did not happen tonight. IMO, Ohio State is a tougher matchup than South Carolina. Go Huskies!

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Well --- OSU was embarassed !!! As were the OSU guards

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Man.... watching that was like watching a AAC game :oops:

Maybe the second half will be better

I'm sure Duke will provide you with all the game tension you can stand. From where I'm sitting the second half was just fine.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm sure Duke will provide you with all the game tension you can stand. From where I'm sitting the second half was just fine.

They have so far... and they will continue to do so. As long as I dont eat before games.. I'll be ok :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom