POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

POSTGAME: Dawn Staley on UConn: It was the ball's fault! [merged]

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Time for a statue of the Nike Ball next to the Wilson statue. Then raise another banner of the Nike Ball right next to last year's bogus championship banner. What a crock of horsesheet by Dawn. i would expect better than some sorry ass, poor sport excuse!
Dawn never takes credit for a loss. She will always step and take credit for a win. Uconn shot poorly, and yet they beat her team. Had to be the "ball".

Reaction Score
Very little credit to UConn.

Had to wait to the last question about Paige. Paige is a player, when her number is called, she makes big shots. What she did not say is just how smart she is and everything else she does and her defense. She looks pretty depressed and probably thinks with 4 years of Azzi and Paige, they are going to start beating us again like a drum (irregardless of the good recruiting classes)
Geno is now 9 - 1 against SC. Dawn said (paraphrased) "UConn is no different than any other team we've played, it was us", & also "They got into Aliyah Boston's space" & of course, "It was the ball......".

Reaction Score
I never feel sorry for their loss. We deserve to win and they deserve to lose. And if they don’t like it.... Well, I don’t feel sorry for them.

BTW - I LOVE the Nike ball! When Paige shoots it and it hits the back of the rim, it goes 7 ft straight up, then comes straight back down through the hoop - nuthin’ but net!!
Now, that's ball handling!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Besides the ball excuse which is a real thing, I like Coach Dawn game post press comments.
She protected her team. No singular or condescending call outs, no end of the world talk, no grouping of bad vs good players. She just talked about her teams poor play and how they will grow from this loss.
This is a very bad take. Whaddya mean "besides the ball excuse"? She made excuses for losing a game they had no business losing. No cookies for not calling out anyone because if she went that route, she would have to start with the HC.

Reaction Score
Geno is now 9 - 1 against SC. Dawn said (paraphrased) "UConn is no different than any other team we've played, it was us", & also "They got into Aliyah Boston's space" & of course, "It was the ball......".
A HC stands up and either takes credit for the win...or has to stand up for the loss! Dawn can't seem to own up for a loss to UCONN. I wonder how many other teams has she faced with losing 9 times to 1 with? But we're no different!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whoa. WTH
Was this written by ESPN or by one of the Gamecock Nation social media flunkies?
Lol, that article was pretty favorable to Paige.

Reaction Score
Disgruntled, ya think?
And......She’s our National coach.......
Yup, disgruntled for sure, a sore loser.
Couldn’t bring myself to watch it.
Yep... Dawn is our National Women's Basketball Team Coach... but let us not forget, She will have the BEST Women Basketball Players in the World on the Team.... A Team that really doesn't need a Coach to win the Gold Medal.

GO USA BASKETBALL!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I try very hard to respect Coach Staley. She just won't let me!
Compare that attitude to Diana Tarausi’s. She beat a male reporter in a picked who complained that the she reason she beat him (handily) was because he they were using they were using a woman's ball. Her response? "Well go get a men's ball. Hell, go get a golf ball and a bowling ball, I'll beat you with those too."

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
UConn why do you have us dribbling with a flat ball? Did you'll learn that from New England. Well it work. We had zero fast break points. :) This is not the first time Dawn mentioned something about the ball. I don't remember who it was but I knew Cooke was having issues with it. Had to be a road team so we won that game regardless.
Every time SCAR plays a Nike school they use a Nike ball. But only at UConn does it cause turnovers. Will you please explain that for me. LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Kentucky, Florida, Missouri are all Nike schools. Besides that a good coach would have practiced with a Nike ball before the game. What's Next a banner that says National Champion of games played with Wilson balls.

EDIT: I think Georgia plays with two balls at a time!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will say.. the Nike ball DOES feel different than the Wilson ball. HOWEVER, it takes literally 3 minutes to adapt and get used to it. They should’ve been acclimated in morning shoot around. So this is really an insult to her players ability and intelligence if true.

This whole thing is really an insult to the UConn team.

Reaction Score
This is a very bad take. Whaddya mean "besides the ball excuse"? She made excuses for losing a game they had no business losing. No cookies for not calling out anyone because if she went that route, she would have to start with the HC.
She made no excuses on why she lost. She gave her opinion and protected her team while building up her team after a loss. It's ok to for a coach to play the we had an off night card verses tearing down her team and planting seeds of doubt. Especially with a young team in which she has.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This whole thing is really an insult to the UConn team.
It truly is and it's intentional. If this is any indication she might just be prepping to go full McGraw.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She made no excuses on why she lost. She gave her opinion and protected her team while building up her team after a loss. It's ok to for a coach to play the we had an off night card verses tearing down her team and planting seeds of doubt. Especially with a young team in which she has.
fox tv excuse GIF by loveconnectionfox

The excuse she made were as weak as hanging a #1 in the final polls banner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom