Post-Memphis Thoughts | The Boneyard

Post-Memphis Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With such a huge disparity of talent on the floor, it is no surprise that Memphis got blown out. And, because it was a blowout, I guess none of us should find room for complaint....but here goes:

Geno loves aggressive, attacking offense, and who could argue with that? But we looked incredibly ragged at times, missing a huge number of shots, mainly because there were so many low-percentage shots, especially in the first half. Sometimes it appears that our team manages to forget that Stefanie Dolson is in the lineup. In an attempt to keep attacking, we too often fail to exercise patience and fail to work the ball into Stef in the low post. When we remember to do that, the result is inevitably higher percentage shots, either from Stef herself or from those she feeds....or from the free throw line.

As usual, the defense was great.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The praise for UConn defense got me to thinking.

Boiler-plate type adjectives are often relied upon when commentators commentate (not to be confused with conversationalists conversating).

For example: freak injury, sprawling metropolis, weary rescue workers, deadly shooter, etc.

As for the UConn defense, the one that seems to come into play (pun intended) most often? swarming defense. Or smothering?

Any other nominations?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought that Uconn missed a lot of good shots in the first half - wide open jumpers. You cannot always get the ball inside if a team decides to put 5 players in the paint on defense and to a large degree that was what was happening. I agree their were a few 'fast shots' but most of them came in the course of running offense.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Much of the first half it was simply not possible to get the ball to Stef in the low post because Memphis' zone was packing it in around her. Watch the first half video and see how clogged and tight they were playing Stef with multiple players.

Reaction Score
How about fearsome fivesome, husky curtain, Blue/White people eaters?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Boiler-plate type adjectives are often relied upon when commentators commentate (not to be confused with conversationalists conversating).

For example: freak injury, sprawling metropolis, weary rescue workers, deadly shooter, etc.

As for the UConn defense, the one that seems to come into play (pun intended) most often? swarming defense. Or smothering?

Any other nominations?

The ones that sticks with me: INTENSE and RELENTLESS from the ESPN color commentators.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought MC was wrong to criticize the offense in the 1st half as much as she did. Further, one example she highlighted in which UCONN got an easy basket )Steiw I think) was a defensive breakdown - not the result of focused ball movement. I thought the 1st half were real good shots. I think that's why you don't hear Geno complain of shot selection. He did say things weren't going the way they wanted ealry but he didn't referecne shot slecetion. KML was 2-6 early could have easily been much better. Sometimes if it takes a few passes to get a wide open look, early in the game, why not take it? We had just as good a chance to be up by 20 extremely early. We just missed.

I thought the defense was sluggish early on. As it picked up we got more transition. Then we wore them down. Classic. We have just"too many" wave of players. At one point I know he announces referenced Memphis was shooting about 58% or something like that. If the defense was more "normal" at best they shoot 45% which would have meant more transition for us. And if KML hits one more wide open shot ealry instead of at end of half and Braa hits just one more wide open three (she missed several 3's as well) then we wouldn't be talking of shot selection. They were good shots.

Reaction Score
When Geno started with the pressure was when the game turned, UConn got turnovers and easy baskets. If Geno ever decided to press for 40 minutes, UConn might win a game by over 100+ points.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When Geno started with the pressure was when the game turned, UConn got turnovers and easy baskets. If Geno ever decided to press for 40 minutes, UConn might win a game by over 100+ points.
Yeah, that was about the time MC was saying that UCONN had slowed down the game when the opposite was true. They stepped up the defensive pressure and were out and running ahead of Memphis.

Reaction Score

Wait until next year and we will see. I have little doubt that is exactly what Geno has in mind with the new recruits. Well, maybe not 40 but until the outcome is no longer in question.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score

Any other nominations?
My favorite is 'What Defense?'

Reaction Score
A defensive possession is not completed until a rebound (or turnover) is secured. Good defensive rebounding means limiting offenses to getting rebounds at no more than 30% of the opportunities. Against Memphis, the Huskies gave up 15 ORs on 42 rebound opportunities, for an OR % of 35.7%. This is considered a weak performance at any level of the game. A team may well be able survive such a stat against Memphis. Less so against Knoxville.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
A defensive possession is not completed until a rebound (or turnover) is secured. Good defensive rebounding means limiting offenses to getting rebounds at no more than 30% of the opportunities. Against Memphis, the Huskies gave up 15 ORs on 42 rebound opportunities, for an OR % of 35.7%. This is considered a weak performance at any level of the game. A team may well be able survive such a stat against Memphis. Less so against Knoxville.

Actually, Memphis missed 45 shots (20 for 65), plus 2 free throws. Players on Memphis had 11 offensive rebounds. 4 more were "team" rebounds. That happens when the shot is missed (free throw or field shot) and is touched by defense and goes out of bounds. A missed first free throw is another "deadball" rebound for the offense. It also happens when shot is taken at the end of a period, but not controlled by the defense. Memphis had 1 of those at the end of the first half. Rebounds must equal shots missed. 15 divided into 45 is 33%. 11 divided into 45 is 24%. I'll go with the 24% and give UConn's defense the benefit of the doubt....:cool: Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"Where else can the No. 1 Huskies improve? Auriemma said the team allows too many quality shots from opposing guards, a symptom of losing Kelly Faris. The coaching staff did not game-plan for scoring guards last year because of Faris' defense, but the approach is different this season and it's still a work in progress."

"Now it's more, let's have a meeting and let's see, what are we willing to give up, what are we wiling to suffer through?" Auriemma said. "So that's one area where we have to get better. We have to find, in our perimeter players, a better defensive mind-set."

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle