Post Game Reflection - offical thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post Game Reflection - offical thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The best thing that can be said is that effort was there and battled throughout. Last year fell apart when things went south. 14-0 would quickly become 31-0. Halftime adjustments and conditioning were better so those three things will help us down the road.

Defense we need to be able to get better pressure., think will be tough to run against between the tackles but the edges and mobile qb's look like will be a big problem. Linebackers looks like a unit that will grow. Concerned about secondary which is supposed to be a strength got beat often and seemed little soft.

Offense, pick one QB since same style. Pretty clear that Whitmer is not answer. See what Casey has so you see what you have or if need to plan on Boyle for next year. Running backs like Mariner as workhorse as can get something from nothing and Newsome as change of pace back. Lot of receivers but hard for QB's to establish timing with all of them, would scale it down with Davis and Foxx as main guys. Tight ends looked OK, maybe need to be better in run blocking. Bloom looked good but with McQuillan and Meyers not sure if needed to burn his shirt. Oline is most worrisome as no push in running game and pass block was poor, would have been worse but QB's got ball out quick. Did not get the freshmen line thing as believe history with Foley is to redshirt so hope he has freedom to run the unit and that that Diaco and Cummings are not becoming PP/GDL rerun with messing with line as looked more like a Diaco call not a Foley call. Surprised they did not go with entire 2nd line when down 18 and 25 to get experience and to see what they got.

Coaching was better than and will get better. Not crazy about the fake field goal. Maybe I am old school but except for skill guys like wide out, rb's and cover corners not a big fan of burning redshirt. Will know more about everything after next two games.

Reaction Score
BNich said:
It was the first live game action for a relatively young and in experienced group of players in a brand new system. BYU has a very good offense, especially at QB position and some BIG Wr's. The first game jitters definitely showed. This team will be fine in due time I believe.

Totally agree with this. Too many experts here on the Boneyard who really should stick more to advice and insight about tailgaiting. We're all disappointed but maybe our hopes were a little too high. No question this quarterback kicked our ass. And we should dump the two quarterback platooning. It doesn't work.

Posted this in the wrong thread. Should be here.

Dogged, 14 minutes ago Edit Delete Report
#14 Reply

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about the CC pick in BYU territory on over throw?
How about CC over throws twice in first half on 3rd down - I mean 5-7 feet over the receivers head.
And the wide open Foxx down field.

I watched CW come in in first half and throw strikes and have balls dropped.

That is true. One threw with accuracy, one did not. But since that game I have learned that pocket presence trumps throwing a good ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom