Post game - colgate press conference | The Boneyard

Post game - colgate press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's over used, but the word "classy" comes to mind. Huge props to the coach for the way she prepared her team. I'll be rooting for them the rest of the season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Colgate played well the first quarter and terrific in the 4th quarter - they were "up" on UCONN by 7 or 8 at one point in the 4th quarter. That gives them a lot to be proud of and a lot to build on. Great atmosphere and great attitude by the coach.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Nice especially for the three Colgate seniors Kriftcher, Butler and Stockhill who were in for a combined 42 minutes and scored 7 points in their freshman year in the 60-point blowout at UConn and three years later are leaders on the team with 89 minutes and 35 points. Last year they lost 12 of their first 13 games and 16 of the first 18 before ending up at 9-22 overall and 7-11 in the Patriot League, but maybe this game can provide a pick-up for later in the year.

Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are a number of coaches who understand the value in this kind of game - a certain loss on your schedule, but a huge win for your program. Sheri at OKC when she first arrived, Jeff in his first year at Louisville, when he asked and was granted a chance for he and his team to watch a Uconn practice after having been blown out the night before, etc. etc. So it isn't just Colgate and their coach, but this may be the best expressed justification from coach and players I have seen.

And I would not be surprised to learn that Colgate gets a bump in both student and general attendance the rest of the year and into the future. That looked like a very special atmosphere and the team played well enough to earn themselves some new fans. The kind of buzz they were able to generate cannot be counted in a W/L column.

Reaction Score
As I said in another post there were no negatives from all the players, all the coaches, & all the fans at the Colgate Cotterell Court! As stated above, classy, proud, smiles, joyful, sportsmanship, life-lessons, a pleasure to watch from tip to final whistle!
I will bet the ranch that Colgate goes on and has a great season after this experience!
This is what College sports & competition should be!

Reaction Score
I will bet the ranch that Colgate goes on and has a great season after this experience!

I guess it depends on how you define a great season. They are very unlikely to finish in the top half of their league and very unlikely to have a winning league record. Also very unlikely to average over 300 a game (real attendance) for the rest of the season. This was a great night for them - but unlikely to cause much long-term change.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Good luck to Colgate in the Patriot League. The team certainly thinks this game will serve them well as they head in to conference play. I hope so - go Colgate!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I guess it depends on how you define a great season. They are very unlikely to finish in the top half of their league and very unlikely to have a winning league record. Also very unlikely to average over 300 a game (real attendance) for the rest of the season. This was a great night for them - but unlikely to cause much long-term change.
Um, Colgate averaged 353 home attendance last year with no UConn game in there, and anyone who has a clue about the Raiders' attendance knows that it gets a little boost during Patriot League action, so why be such a downer on them by saying that after the great UConn game experience that that the average (excluding the UConn game) will be worse than last year? In addition the coach says she has her best team ever, and the Patriot League is not a fearsome group, and after going 7-11 and winning 4 of their last 5 last year, Colgate is rated in the middle of the 10-team group with a 2-7 Holy Cross and 0-8 American rated just ahead of it in Sagarin. Not thinking they'll be league champion, but can't see why there's any big reason for all the "very unlikely" negatives towards a team that could well develop as the year goes on, just like the did last year when they won 7 of their last 13.

Just maybe the UConn experience can be good for the Raiders and they will get a positive season this year, rather than the plummeting attendance and doomed record you saddle them with. I would define success as not only being proud of your own team but also not being a Debbie-downer toward an upbeat Colgate program. Seems that from most of the comments above, a lot of UConn fans may be thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score

stamfordhusky- - - I meant whatever would be a great season for them, to top anything they've done before! So that not only was that night special, but led to their best season on record!

Reaction Score
Um, Colgate averaged 353 home attendance last year with no UConn game in there, and anyone who has a clue about the Raiders' attendance knows that it gets a little boost during Patriot League action, so why be such a downer on them by saying that after the great UConn game experience that that the average (excluding the UConn game) will be worse than last year? In addition the coach says she has her best team ever, and the Patriot League is not a fearsome group, and after going 7-11 and winning 4 of their last 5 last year, Colgate is rated in the middle of the 10-team group with a 2-7 Holy Cross and 0-8 American rated just ahead of it in Sagarin. Not thinking they'll be league champion, but can't see why there's any big reason for all the "very unlikely" negatives towards a team that could well develop as the year goes on, just like the did last year when they won 7 of their last 13.

Just maybe the UConn experience can be good for the Raiders and they will get a positive season this year, rather than the plummeting attendance and doomed record you saddle them with. I would define success as not only being proud of your own team but also not being a Debbie-downer toward an upbeat Colgate program. Seems that from most of the comments above, a lot of UConn fans may be thinking the same thing.

1. You don't follow Colgate basketball. I do. Have gone to a number of games there. They make up their home attendances - both men and women. I specifically referred to "real attendance", i.e. the number of people actually sitting in the seats. Go to a few games next month. Count the attendance. It won't be over 250.

3. Not sure why last season is relevant. They lost three of the five starters from that team, including an All-Patriot League forward. They finished strong largely because it was an experienced, senior-laden team.

3. There is a reason the PL coaches picked them for 7th place. With Holy Cross having lost their best player due to an ACL, Colgate might have a shot for 6th but that is not likely.

4. Of course she is trying to be optimistic. It's the last year of her contract and she has yet to get a renewal. I think she will likely get an extension since Colgate is a very tough job. Poor facilities and no basketball tradition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You sound like a wet blanket. I will never forget the class that Colgate displayed. Colgate will never forget taking the court against Stewie & MoJet. That is "long term"enough.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Right, the previous season can never be relevant for a team. Sure, Dayton had a nice run last year to the Elite 8, but they lost their top two scorers and rebounders last year (more than 45% of both stat), so they have to be really bad this year, and the T25 ratings and rankings can't be at all real. None of that can be relevant because they lost too much talent. Same with a bunch of other teams, and team history has nothing to do with anything.

Okay, here's the thing about basketball. Teams retool and rebuild. Most teams do lose some key talent each year, and UConn would love to have KML and Kia back, but it's a new year, and I think they can match last year's fine outcome. And despite the fact that Colgate is only 1-6, that's still better than the 0-7 (1-12, 2-16) start last year, and there are some statistical indicators that the offense could be better than last year. Clearly they need to take care of business both home and away against the bottom three Patriot teams, but there's no big reason that they can't knock off a Lehigh and Lafayette like they did last year and pull some other upsets.

Despite last year's total non-relevancy, I still feel that a coach who at least managed to get the team going in the right direction last year with the winning record in the last 13 games may have a shot at doing it again. It's possible that after watching some Colgate games that you know more than the coach, just as there seems to be many BY posters who know far more about the Huskies than Geno will ever know, but I'd give some respect to a coach who has watched her players develop and who feels they are her best squad ever. It's possible that they truly are, though I guess as you say it must be a snow job, which are big up there in north central NY.

Attendance figures are always bones of contention, and many BY posters have snorted about the reported TBA figures for the Vols or even the Huskies' own HCC figures. Hard to know exactly who to believe about any of these numbers, but I'll ask some friends upstate if they can go count every tush at Cotterell. Whether last year Colgate was reporting 353 when they were only getting 250, this year in the only other home game (yes, we are excluding the UConn game for you), they got a reported 527 for measly Monmouth, an indicator that attendance could be trending in the right direction because of the excitement generated about playing UConn this year. But I guess you're going to maybe say that 228 of the seats were occupied by ghosts. Whatever, I'm sure the TBA true absentee rate for the Vols must be higher than 40% nowadays too, but I have more confidence in the Raiders' trend line than the Vols'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom